• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerJay24

No teams will ever play like this again in modern football (To give freedom to players, to execute the general tactical philosophy).
Because today’s football is now extremely detailed oriented.

Now, the general tactical philosophy is nothing new, all are from previous eras. But they start to make things a lot smaller. Making a general philosophy into 100 different objectives and instruct them to players. Dividing a 90 minutes game into different phases of mini-games. Dividing the spaces on the pitch into smaller grids. To tell players to position and move to which grid in certain situations/phases of the game.

How we press, how our opponent get out from our press. How we create overload in the build up phase, how our opponent prevents being overload in transition. These are all pre-planned step by step player instructions on positioning and movement.

Of course now there are still freedom for players, but it's conditional freedom instructed in detail to the player. For example, If you arrived to the final third you have the license to roam around/drift inside.

Exactly.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean a top team consisting of highly technically exquisite players couldn't implement a free flowing playing philosophy; so long as basic attacking and defensive duties are applied

If Wenger had the right players who could stay fit throughout campaigns he'd of won alot more with his primary philosophy. Although I admit he was inflexible at times.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Perhaps, but that doesn't mean a top team consisting of highly technically exquisite players couldn't implement a free flowing playing philosophy.
We don't have a plethora of technical players in our team though, do we?

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Does Nasri even have >5 apps at as no. 10 for us? He was so much better there than Özil, he played 99% of his games for us on wings.... :lol:

Cazorla was shifted wide after half a season, and basically never played at 10 after.

Don't make me laugh with Rosicky.

As for your last sentence; utter bollocks, regularly in the top charts in the league for final 3rd passes, if that isn't helping dominate possession then I don't know what is.

There's plenty you could criticize Özil for, the least you and your gang of cronies could do is not make sh!t up in your rambling nonsense.
Did I say they played there for long? Just in a few appearances you know they are much better at involving in play and dominating possession.

And for your last point, it seems you agreed with me, he only focus in the final third.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

There's nothing new in tactics today, just rehashing of systems from the past. They've gone about as far as they can.

Much more important today is nutrition and player fitness levels, the technical quality of players, and peripheral systems like set pieces. Over half the goals in the 2018 WCup were scored from set pieces more than any other. England scored 9 of their 12 goals from set pieces and Southgate admitted spending more than half their preparation practising them. Saw a review of recent Champions League matches too, showing how many important matches were decided by set pieces.

People have this romantic notion of football that a good manager can take a well drilled side high up the league with his tactics. They can't and never have been able to without money and player quality. Klopp and Pep would be nowhere without the their players.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
There's nothing new in tactics today, just rehashing of systems from the past. They've gone about as far as they can.

Much more important today is nutrition and player fitness levels, the technical quality of players, and peripheral systems like set pieces. Over half the goals in the 2018 WCup were scored from set pieces more than any other. England scored 9 of their 12 goals from set pieces and Southgate admitted spending more than half their preparation practising them. Saw a review of recent Champions League matches too, showing how many important matches were decided by set pieces.

People have this romantic notion of football that a good manager can take a well drilled side high up the league with his tactics. They can't and never have been able to without money and player quality. Klopp and Pep would be nowhere without the their players.
No one says today's football tactics philosophy is anything new. I have stated in my last post, they are not new, bits adding up from old eras.

How you execute it is drastically different. This is what I mean by today’s football is different. It’s different because the individual players’ instructions and the tactical analysis, are executed in much more detailed way. You break your game into smaller phases/mini games. Divide you pitch into smaller grids, instructing your players to be at the right position/making the right movement at the right time. Instructions are a lot more specific and detailed.

Tell me this is not well planned and well instructed for both teams:

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

Use FA cup as an example, Chelsea’s team has talented players too. But Arteta did outclassed Lampard tactically, and that is why we won, we utilise auba’s strengths to the most. Here is how we create space for auba:

If we are near our own box, we play from the back.

1) Our CBs Luiz and Holding would spread wide. Our GK Martinez is a passing option. Our CB Tierney would shift to the LB position. The LB Niles would then tuck in as an extra CM. This created an overload on the left side and allows us to break Chelsea press as we are able to create a free man.

2) We would also have both CMs Xhaka and Ceballos dropping deep to provide more passing options. If needed, pepe would shift centrally and Laca would drop deep. To get more bodies in the middle, making the left overload more effective.

3) If the opponent commit players high up to lessened the effect of the left overload. Their right back will dragged high up. Lacazette dropping deep dragged a centre back off the equation. This leaves plenty of space to for auba. Auba, despite on the left, will have plenty of space to run into, running towards the central area 1v1, where originally it’d be 1v2 or 1 v3. Our team dropping deep also means that auba could exploit the space behind with pace.

Tell me this is not well planned. Other than this, our pressing is very organised, when we get back to our own half our team shape is organised. The timing for the players to charge out are all very organised. This is detailed game plan and you can see every players are well instructed of what to do in attack/build up/defend/pressing/transitions.

Last edited:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Can you provide a link to that?

Fabregas:
Arsenal 3.2 shots per game, Barcelona 1.6
Arsenal 1.9 dribbles per game, Barcelona 1.6
Arsenal 2.3 tackles per game, Barcelona 1.4

He gave the best account of himself at Arsenal and in some respects, failed to reproduce that level of consistency at Barcelona where he found himself less in demand, less in control, less in the spotlight and, in the end, less required. But yeah, Arsène just told him to go out and do what he wanted.
I can't seem to find it. I can't even remember if it was an interview after he transferred to Barca or after he left them for Chesh!t.

As for the shots and dribbles per game you provided, I think Pep did him dirty by bringing him, because he had no clue where to put him in that line-up, so he had to play with 3 at the back to make room for him in the middle or even play him as a false 9, since he started to be used there by Del Bosque.

The bottom line is those tossers didn't need Cesc, but they wined and dined him in the media until he fell for their bullshit and left.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Not at all. He has never been a control or possession dominant team player. He is a counter attack player. That's why Germany shifted him to the wings in favor of players who can actually influence overall play. In the middle he actually influences the team to have lesser control. That's why no big team went for him and RM flourished again in the CL. When Özil was great in a WC or a Euro or at his best were all fast paced counter attack teams and most of his best moments are more often than not always a counter attack situation but his influence beyond that was always lacking. Its more that the likes of Benzema, Ronaldo, Podolski, Muller, Alexis and the midfielders who made him better or covered his short comings rather than him making them play better because even in his earlier days he wasn't physically able to cope with the intensity of play anywhere.

This is revisionist bullshit or you don't watch or understand football.
Spot on.

GoonerJay24

No one says today's football tactics philosophy is anything new. I have stated in my last post, they are not new, bits adding up from old eras.

How you execute it is drastically different. This is what I mean by today’s football is different. It’s different because the individual players’ instructions and the tactical analysis, are executed in much more detailed way. You break your game into smaller phases/mini games. Divide you pitch into smaller grids, instructing your players to be at the right position/making the right movement at the right time. Instructions are a lot more specific and detailed.

Tell me this is not well planned and well instructed for both teams:

Your right in some ways but don't need to execute such approaches to win consistently, as I've said previously it's about player technique and physiological make up more than tactics

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Use FA cup as an example, Chelsea’s team has talented players too. But Arteta did outclassed Lampard tactically, and that is why we won, we utilise auba’s strengths to the most. Here is how we create space for auba:

If we are near our own box, we play from the back.

1) Our CBs Luiz and Holding would spread wide. Our GK Martinez is a passing option. Our CB Tierney would shift to the LB position. The LB Niles would then tuck in as an extra CM. This created an overload on the left side and allows us to break Chelsea press as we are able to create a free man.

2) We would also have both CMs Xhaka and Ceballos dropping deep to provide more passing options. If needed, pepe would shift centrally and Laca would drop deep. To get more bodies in the middle, making the left overload more effective.

3) If the opponent commit players high up to lessened the effect of the left overload. Their right back will dragged high up. Lacazette dropping deep dragged a centre back off the equation. This leaves plenty of space to for auba. Auba, despite on the left, will have plenty of space to run into, running towards the central area 1v1, where originally it’d be 1v2 or 1 v3. Our team dropping deep also means that auba could exploit the space behind with pace.

Tell me this is not well planned. Other than this, our pressing is very organised, when we get back to our own half our team shape is organised. The timing for the players to charge out are all very organised. This is detailed game plan and you can see every players are well instructed of what to do in attack/build up/defend/pressing/transitions.
Mate, football is not that closely controlled on the pitch. Of course Arteta has us organised. He's been playing football since he was 9 and has played with some excellent coaches. He knows what he's doing and is motivating players well.

But I watched us struggle against Watford, lose to Villa, and although we beat Liverpool and City they carved us apart numerous times but didn't convert some guilt edged chances. Against Chelsea, Auba took a glorious goal that was extremely difficult and probably would missed 7 times out of 10.

Football is not a game of chess, it's a game of odds. And those with the best players most often win.

'Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't' Chief Dan George, Little Big Man. That's football.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Mate, football is not that closely controlled on the pitch. Of course Arteta has us organised. He's been playing football since he was 9 and has played with some excellent coaches. He knows what he's doing and is motivating players well.

But I watched us struggle against Watford, lose to Villa, and although we beat Liverpool and City they carved us apart numerous times but didn't convert some guilt edged chances. Against Chelsea, Auba took a glorious goal that was extremely difficult and probably would missed 7 times out of 10.

Football is not a game of chess, it's a game of odds. And those with the best players most often win.

'Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't' Chief Dan George, Little Big Man. That's football.
Don't start this mate I know what road you're heading down :lol: Managers often make the decisive difference I don't think this can be understated. Everything can be called a game of odds if you're going to be persistent with this.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Don't start this mate I know what road you're heading down :lol: Managers often make the decisive difference I don't think this can be understated. Everything can be called a game of odds if you're going to be persistent with this.
They can, but only when two teams are reasonably evenly matched, otherwise the lower team needs a lot of luck. You and I have both seen enough games to know that. :lol:

gamechannel

Alan Davies said on the Tuesday Club that there are rumours Özil got dropped from the team because he didn't want to take a knee before matches. When did this come about? :rofl:

Jesus! This club will do anything to malign a player they are desperate to get rid of. First Özil was not willing to take a paycut although the other 2 players' names were never disclosed, then he was dropped for tactical reasons, then he was not fit, then he was magically fit, then he was not training hard, then he was not on board with Arteta's demands of the team, then he didnt fit in Arteta's plans, now he's a racist.. whats next? He's the bastard child of the devil?

This club does such a piss poor job of PR. Instead of creating this circus, just pay the guy off and send him packing. He's not the first toxic comtract in football history. Most clubs deal with such contracts tactfully, cut their losses and move on. But nope, not this club. They love drama!

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Jesus! This club will do anything to malign a player they are desperate to get rid of. First Özil was not willing to take a paycut although the other 2 players' names were never disclosed, then he was dropped for tactical reasons, then he was not fit, then he was magically fit, then he was not training hard, then he was not on board with Arteta's demands of the team, then he didnt fit in Arteta's plans, now he's a racist.. whats next? He's the bastard child of the devil?

This club does such a piss poor job of PR. Instead of creating this circus, just pay the guy off and send him packing. He's not the first toxic comtract in football history. Most clubs deal with such contracts tactfully, cut their losses and move on. But nope, not this club. They love drama!
It's nonsense man, he took a knee in the warm-up game against Charlton.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

How did the club paint him as a racist :lol:

You're getting triggered by words of a random guy on the internet who has no clue what's going on :lol:

For what it's worth I think Alan Davies is chatting shït. But I suspect you knew that anyway, but you still had to have your mini-meltdown :lol:

Calm down.

Last edited:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta

what beautiful football.. we were so lucky to have him for so long inspite of the ****show that the club management became over the years. He is a player better watched live... the constant drifting and moving ..knitting the game together ...blocking the channels ... one touch ...moving back ...moving up .... such economy of motion and touch ... what a player. you cant convince me otherwise. I have seen him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom