• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Formation 20/21 Season

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Oh well your friend is a Chelsea fan, oh well I stand corrected you clearly know better than everyone else who watches Chelsea. :rofl: Does this work when you say something racist but you have a {insert race here} friend.

WTF are you on about this racist thing? Are you alright mate?

But are you actually an idiot? In your first sentence you say you're right then in the second you're saying you're wrong and you dont know? You laugh at the idea of Willian playing in midfield... now you;re saying its not his best position... like I actually thought you were trolling now I'm thinking you might be serious.

I don't know what more you want me to say here. You are just arguing mate.

I clearly made my statement based on what I watched that he's a winger and his assets don't suit to play in midfield 3 in the first paragraph.

While at the same time, I can't keep arguing with lot of you who are persistent to disagree with me so I'm telling you to agree and disagree here because you seem to know more than me as you probably watch every single of their game.

Divided_Pie

In regards to playing more of a back 3 with Luiz playing as a libero - found this video interesting:

Makes a lot of sense if you look at the players we have.

3-5-2 might work best if Laca moves on. Auba and Pepe move closer to the goal and play in the channels, and can punish high defensive lines with their pace in behind. Willian can either play CAM or RWB.

Luiz as a libero takes pressure off of the young LCB/RCB who can focus on man marking and stay back if their man drops deeper since Luiz can follow that man. This also takes pressure off the CMs as he would be able to sweep up behind them if they press the opposing CMs.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
In regards to playing more of a back 3 with Luiz playing as a libero - found this video interesting:

Makes a lot of sense if you look at the players we have.

3-5-2 might work best if Laca moves on. Auba and Pepe move closer to the goal and play in the channels, and can punish high defensive lines with their pace in behind. Willian can either play CAM or RWB.

Luiz as a libero takes pressure off of the young LCB/RCB who can focus on man marking and stay back if their man drops deeper since Luiz can follow that man. This also takes pressure off the CMs as he would be able to sweep up behind them if they press the opposing CMs.

If we sign Partey and a creative mid 343 will never make sense.

nick gould

If we sign Partey and a creative mid 343 will never make sense.
Back 5 is inherently too defensive. But again it depends with the personnel. But I think when we get back to 4 3 3 we will be able to create more chances. I don't rate willock that highly but, if played in a 4 3 3 I can see him breaking into the box and making runs beyond our strikers to get on the end to either score or pull back for a teammate to score. But to play 4 at the back we need reliable and more capable defenders. How I would love upamecano (wishlist).

Reyes no.11

Formation: 4-3-3

GK: Martinez, Leno
LB: Tierney, Kolasinac
CB: Luiz, *Magalhaes, Mari
CB: Saliba, Holding
RB: Bellerin, Soares

LCM: *Willian, Smith Rowe
DM: Xhaka, Maitland-Niles
RCM: *Ceballos, Willock

LM: *Coutinho, Saka
CF: Aubameyang, Martinelli, Nketiah
RM: Pepe, Nelson

In: Magalhaes, Ceballos, Willian, Coutinho
Out: Sokratis, Chambers, Mustafi, Torreira, Elneny, Guendouzi, Özil, Lacazette

------------------------------Martinez

Bellerin-----------Saliba----------------Luiz-------------Tierney

--------------------------------Xhaka
-------------------Ceballos----------------Willian

Pepe-------------------------------------------------------Coutinho
--------------------------------Aubameyang

Subs: Leno, Magalhaes, Kolasinac, Maitland-Niles, Willock, Saka, Martinelli

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
WTF are you on about this racist thing? Are you alright mate?

I don't know what more you want me to say here. You are just arguing mate.

I clearly made my statement based on what I watched that he's a winger and his assets don't suit to play in midfield 3 in the first paragraph.

While at the same time, I can't keep arguing with lot of you who are persistent to disagree with me so I'm telling you to agree and disagree here because you seem to know more than me as you probably watch every single of their game.

This is what you said
God. Why Willian is in your midfield three? :rofl:
he shouldn't be anywhere near playing in midfield.
Which is pretty fkin stupid considering the amount of times hes played as a midfielder. You come across as pretty patronising without having a clue so I'm not sure what you expect.

Divided_Pie

Formation: 4-3-3

GK: Martinez, Leno
LB: Tierney, Kolasinac
CB: Luiz, *Magalhaes, Mari
CB: Saliba, Holding
RB: Bellerin, Soares

LCM: *Willian, Smith Rowe
DM: Xhaka, Maitland-Niles
RCM: *Ceballos, Willock

LM: *Coutinho, Saka
CF: Aubameyang, Martinelli, Nketiah
RM: Pepe, Nelson

In: Magalhaes, Ceballos, Willian, Coutinho
Out: Sokratis, Chambers, Mustafi, Torreira, Elneny, Guendouzi, Özil, Lacazette

------------------------------Martinez

Bellerin-----------Saliba----------------Luiz-------------Tierney

--------------------------------Xhaka
-------------------Ceballos----------------Willian

Pepe-------------------------------------------------------Coutinho
--------------------------------Aubameyang

Subs: Leno, Magalhaes, Kolasinac, Maitland-Niles, Willock, Saka, Martinelli
Arsenal would be torn to shreds. Xhaka can’t play alone at the base of a midfield 3. Luiz can’t play in a back two with a teenager who is new to the PL. Also I doubt Coutinho is in the picture with Willian now signed.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That's us next season people

formation-18-08-2020-22-09-43.png

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
This is what you said

Which is pretty fkin stupid considering the amount of times hes played as a midfielder. You come across as pretty patronising without having a clue so I'm not sure what you expect.

He never play in midfield three. That's laughable & stupid trying to argue with me forcing it to suit your argument that he ever play in midfield three when he actually never play in there. All he ever played was wingers & the attacking mid behind striker.

6e20S38.png

Pyres7

He never play in midfield three. That's laughable & stupid trying to argue with me forcing it to suit your argument that he ever play in midfield three when he actually never play in there. All he ever played was wingers & the attacking mid behind striker.

6e20S38.png
Thanks for the stats - 49 appearances as an attacking midfielder. And that's just for Chelsea.

Of course he can play in a midfield three as a number 8, all three midfielders don't have to be glued in front of the defense.

He played as a winger because that's his best position, doesn't mean he can't other roles. And considering he's 32 and signed a 3 year contract, a central role might be more suitable for him as he probably wont have the legs to run up and down the wing every week. You should know this because that's exactly what happened with Giggs.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Thanks for the stats - 49 appearances as an attacking midfielder. And that's just for Chelsea.

Of course he can play in a midfield three as a number 8, all three midfielders don't have to be glued in front of the defense.

He played as a winger because that's his best position, doesn't mean he can't other roles. And considering he's 32 and signed a 3 year contract, a central role might be more suitable for him as he probably wont have the legs to run up and down the wing every week. You should know this because that's exactly what happened with Giggs.

I have explained it before the difference between Giggs & Willian.

The guy is a natural winger, unless if he has the same passing ability & midfield positioning as Ryan Giggs, he shouldn't be anywhere near playing in midfield.

A winger that his ability is dribble, with no awareness proven, no defensively positioning proven, no ability to dictate the tempo & limit passing range. I can still understand if you put him in the hole behind striker as alternative, but as a midfield?

One of the asset what Giggs can do but Willian can't do in that midfield.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

6e20S38.png

Because Chelsea never played a 433? And when he was younger he was very good on the wings. As the more attacking mid in a 433 Willian would be very good, just because it hasn't happened for Chelsea doesn't mean it couldn't happen elsewhere with a formation change. Narrow minded to think otherwise.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Because Chelsea never played a 433? And when he was younger he was very good on the wings. As the more attacking mid in a 433 Willian would be very good, just because it hasn't happened for Chelsea doesn't mean it couldn't happen elsewhere with a formation change. Narrow minded to think otherwise.

Chelsea also played 4231. Just because they did play 433 doesn't mean Willian played in that midfield 3 of the 433.

I clearly explained enough above what Willian is as a player and why his asset doesn't suit in that midfield 3 and much more suitable in the advance role of winger or the hole behind striker. So far I haven't heard anything what assets Willian has to play in that midfield 3 from you guys.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Chelsea also played 4231. Just because they did play 433 doesn't mean Willian played in that midfield 3 of the 433.

I clearly explained enough above what Willian is as a player and why his asset doesn't suit in that midfield 3 and much more suitable in the advance role of winger or the hole behind striker. So far I haven't heard anything what assets Willian has to play in that midfield 3 from you guys.

I mean in your opinion if he can play in the hole behind the striker then he can play as a 3rd more attacking mid in a 3... He would be just in front of a midfield two but not really in the hole.

Attributes to play in that position?

• Runs his socks off constantly
  • Has good chance creation so can play balls through from deeper
  • Is a fantastic ball carrier, can carry the ball from deep and create chances
  • 32 years old so has slightly lost some pace meaning he will start fitting a more central role better and better with age due to his technical ability
I think you're taking this as some people saying Willian in a flat 433 having to do tackling defensive work and such. But that wont be the case.

He will play RW/LW/AM and as an advanced mid in a 3 for us over the course of a season, he doesn't have a set position until he claims one. So no point in going over and over it, but I've listed attributes he has to play there so...

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Chelsea also So far I haven't heard anything what assets Willian has to play in that midfield 3 from you guys.
https://www.arsenal.com/news/where-willian-will-fit-arsenal

If Arteta wishes to use him in his previously preferred 4-2-3-1 formation against a team that sits deeper, he will be more than able to perform in any role behind the front man as well.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-gave-me-confidence-come-arsenal
Willian has played primarily on the right flank during his time in west London, so where does he see himself fitting in at his new club?

"Haha, that's a difficult question - I don't know! I leave that to Arteta," he said. "I come to help in every position.

"I can play on the right, I can play in the middle, I can play on the left side as well. So I want to help - in any position where they put me to play, I will try to do my best."
The f*ck is wrong with you?

From the horses mouth anyways.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
I mean in your opinion if he can play in the hole behind the striker then he can play as a 3rd more attacking mid in a 3... He would be just in front of a midfield two but not really in the hole.

Attributes to play in that position?

• Runs his socks off constantly
  • Has good chance creation so can play balls through from deeper
  • 32 years old so has slightly lost some pace meaning he will start fitting a more central role better and better with age due to his technical ability
I think you're taking this as some people saying Willian in a flat 433 having to do tackling defensive work and such. But that wont be the case.

He will play RW/LW/AM and as an advanced mid in a 3 for us over the course of a season, he doesn't have a set position until he claims one. So no point in going over and over it, but I've listed attributes he has to play there so...

Sancho can play in the hole behind the striker doesn't mean he can play in midfield of the midfield 3.

Here my response to your points:
  • Runs his socks off constantly -
    - You mean run like headless chicken without awareness when the opposition team has the ball? That's not midfield.
  • Has good chance creation so can play balls through from deeper - What through ball? You mean those type of through balls he played when he was winger & AM? Not midfield type of passes.
    - So winger then? Or should play Saka.
    - Only if you have the ability & assets to play midfield which what I mentioned above my post to Pyres7.
You can believe what you believe, I don't need to convince you and you don't need to convince me. I think I have said before to agree and disagree

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc

So you just posted an article to strengthened my argument? You're bit weird. Were you even reading?

If Arteta wishes to use him in his previously preferred 4-2-3-1 formation against a team that sits deeper, he will be more than able to perform in any role behind the front man as well.

If Arteta wishes to shoehorn Willian, Pepe, Lacazette and Aubameyang into one side, it can be done by playing the Brazilian as No 10. He loves to get on the ball in between the lines and play through to an attacker or have an effort on goal.

Nothing to suggest he can be suitable in midfield 3. Like I said before, wingers or AM the hole behind the striker are his position. You don't like what I said, just move on.

Top Bottom