• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

MK Dons vs Arsenal| Tonight| 6pm| Free on Youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade

He looks an intelligent player. I was impressed by his positioning and reading of the game.

He’s 17! One to watch.
I played CM at some level and one way you can watch the level of one players is watching how often he looks to the sides, the more constantly they look around the best the player is. That tells you the players is watching constantly for teammates and the opposition. That they are thinking in future. Watching a player at 17 doing that so often tells a lot about him.

Last player I watch doing that was Lampard and he has a very very high IQ in football and in real life.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I played CM at some level and one way you can watch the level of one players is watching how often he looks to the sides, the more constantly they look around the best the player is. That tells you the players is watching constantly for teammates and the opposition. That they are thinking in future. Watching a player at 17 doing that so often tells a lot about him.

Last player I watch doing that was Lampard and he has a very very high IQ in football and in real life.

The last time you saw a CM looking around during a game was Lampard?:lol:

Relic

ESR makes some intelligent runs off the ball, I was watching his movement a lot, even when the ball was no where near him. Also has that abilty to drag players with him creating gaps for others to exploit.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Some of these youngsters are shocking, sometimes I wish we weren't an English club.
Who was shocking?

I also think John-Jules is better than Nketiah. Bigger, better link up play and still works hard for the team like Nketiah.

I've always liked John-Jules and Arteta is said to rate him but Nketiah (and Nketiah evolution Balogun) were far more prolific goal scorers at youth level.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think Ainsley wants to play for Arsenal but he wants to play every week more. I imagine Arteta says you need to compete here and I can't ever guarantee you'll get more playing time but I will let you earn it. But I do think he clearly rates Bellerin higher

AMN maybe wants to play CM more as well

I’m unsure how regular football has taken on the narrative of every week but I don’t think the former is an unreasonable expectation of himself. Many here think he should be content with being a utility squad player which is somewhat amusing.

Let's play Aubamawang

I'm a huge Nketiah fan but given our talent at CF, I think he could potentially be expendable. We could probably get as much for him as we're getting for AMN if not more (CF).

Both Nketiah and Willock I'd definitely give a proper season of football before I make a decision. Nelson I'd wait longer because I think he's more talented but he's GOT to pull his finger out and start playing with more hunger. He grew into the game today and finished pretty strongly before coming off but I want consistent threat from him. Still isn't at his most confident, and I think it will take a few more games for him to really get into his momentum. The good part is that - albeit set-pieces - he had some end product today and that is good currency.
Excellent post as always! So insightful.

It's a shame the season ended when it did, because I thought the Liverpool game did wonders for his confidence, but maybe it helped that we were counter-attacking all game rather than controlling the ball. If anyone can help him get past whatever it is holding him back, I'm sure Arteta and (hopefully) Bergkamp can.

I would sell Nketiah if it meant giving Balogun minutes, but otherwise there's little sense in selling right now as he's a good rotational player. Agree on Willock though, other than a really nice goal or two, I haven't seen enough to convince me he can really impact games in PL. Maybe he's better further back, rather than AM? Who knows at this point?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Nelson's only 29 but it just feels like times running out for him here.

It's never felt like he's really taken any of the chances he's had here.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Nice goal he scored. Was watching highlights and his header was very impressive.
Yes, it was a great header. He's a very good defender IMO, good reader of the game and dominant aerially. Injuries the only thing preventing him.

Nelson's only 29 but it just feels like times running out for him here.

It's never felt like he's really taken any of the chances he's had here.
I don't think he's had as many chances as people have said, but he hasn't really taken the few he's been given and looking at the competition for places, he won't be handed chances on a silver platter so he has to take them. Not quite an issue of time, but plans can change quickly.

Excellent post as always! So insightful.

It's a shame the season ended when it did, because I thought the Liverpool game did wonders for his confidence, but maybe it helped that we were counter-attacking all game rather than controlling the ball. If anyone can help him get past whatever it is holding him back, I'm sure Arteta and (hopefully) Bergkamp can.

I would sell Nketiah if it meant giving Balogun minutes, but otherwise there's little sense in selling right now as he's a good rotational player. Agree on Willock though, other than a really nice goal or two, I haven't seen enough to convince me he can really impact games in PL. Maybe he's better further back, rather than AM? Who knows at this point?
The Liverpool game was proof that Nelson can contribute against a strong team. Liverpool had a full strength team and despite already winning the league, they still had an extra side quest they were aiming for, so it was not an easy game by any stretch. Nelson's performance was still lacking in pure intensity and I wasn't overwhelmed but he scored the winning goal, so that will have helped. Indeed, his performance against Watford off the bench was much more like the Reiss Nelson from when he was the main man for the U23s. Taking on his man, looking for crosses and shots, getting involved etc. It's only a friendly today but I would still like to see a bit more from him even in these games. He needs to take any chance to impress that he can get.

RE Nketiah and Willock, it's a hard one with Eddie. I am always reluctant to write him off and he grew on me so much initially that I would find it really hard to let him go. He has a higher ceiling than most think but he's one of a handful that do who are already at the club. I think for around the same we're getting for AMN if not more, I'd negotiate - but not this Summer IMO. Willock's a weird player though - huge upside but no idea how he should be used in the grand scheme. A player with his body strength, ability to dribble and win duels should ideally be a very good player but he's not quite synced his game together yet. I feel he needs a fixed position/role to sink his teeth into.

balthazar

Eboue knows
WaryDopeyAxolotl-size_restricted.gif
Eboue knows korean? Man is a genius

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
Is there any explanation for the absence of Lacazette, Sokratis, Bellerin, Luiz, Torreira and Pepe in the squad today? Guendouzi and Özil are parasites we want to get rid of, Kolasinac apparently had a baby today or during the night, Willian is probably not completely fit after being injured at the end of the last season while Martinez is in quarantine so there are explanations regarding those players.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yes, it was a great header. He's a very good defender IMO, good reader of the game and dominant aerially. Injuries the only thing preventing him.

I don't think he's had as many chances as people have said, but he hasn't really taken the few he's been given and looking at the competition for places, he won't be handed chances on a silver platter so he has to take them. Not quite an issue of time, but plans can change quickly.

The Liverpool game was proof that Nelson can contribute against a strong team. Liverpool had a full strength team and despite already winning the league, they still had an extra side quest they were aiming for, so it was not an easy game by any stretch. Nelson's performance was still lacking in pure intensity and I wasn't overwhelmed but he scored the winning goal, so that will have helped. Indeed, his performance against Watford off the bench was much more like the Reiss Nelson from when he was the main man for the U23s. Taking on his man, looking for crosses and shots, getting involved etc. It's only a friendly today but I would still like to see a bit more from him even in these games. He needs to take any chance to impress that he can get.

RE Nketiah and Willock, it's a hard one with Eddie. I am always reluctant to write him off and he grew on me so much initially that I would find it really hard to let him go. He has a higher ceiling than most think but he's one of a handful that do who are already at the club. I think for around the same we're getting for AMN if not more, I'd negotiate - but not this Summer IMO. Willock's a weird player though - huge upside but no idea how he should be used in the grand scheme. A player with his body strength, ability to dribble and win duels should ideally be a very good player but he's not quite synced his game together yet. I feel he needs a fixed position/role to sink his teeth into.

I don’t think it’s altogether surprising when he’s only had one game for 90 minutes in the league out of 18 appearances. Across those 18, he’s averaged only 28 minutes as an impact sub at AM, CM, LW, RW & RB in various systems/formations.

Not to say he can’t do better but yesterday for example, I felt he barely put a foot wrong and showed that technically (controlling the ball with either foot), physically (standing tackle/winning the ball without diving in) and mentally (guiding some of the younger players making their first appearance), he’s got some really useful tools.

He needs, like Reiss, a pattern of regular football in a designated role. It’s a luxury we afforded the likes of Guendouzi and to a lesser extent Nketiah who put in a string of simply okayish performances.

Neither have ever really had it in men’s football and I think both would benefit from a loan if they aren’t going to get it next season.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Is there any explanation for the absence of Lacazette, Sokratis, Bellerin, Luiz, Torreira and Pepe in the squad today? Guendouzi and Özil are parasites we want to get rid of, Kolasinac apparently had a baby today or during the night, Willian is probably not completely fit after being injured at the end of the last season while Martinez is in quarantine so there are explanations regarding those players.

Lacazette, Sokratis and Torreira are all three in transfer talks so that may be why. Bellerin, Luiz and Pepe were just not needed (IMO).

Honestly, the bigger mystery to me was why AMN was playing, but I assume Arteta really wanted to go with a back 3 for some... reason..?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Lacazette, Sokratis and Torreira are all three in transfer talks so that may be why. Bellerin, Luiz and Pepe were just not needed (IMO).

Honestly, the bigger mystery to me was why AMN was playing, but I assume Arteta really wanted to go with a back 3 for some... reason..?

Liverpool on Saturday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom