• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: The True Joerdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
arsenal-v-chelsea-fa-cup-final-20139500.jpg

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Another underrated player, I didn't like how he was used this season in this pressing #10 role they have him in. He's much better in deeper areas and someone with his competitiveness in duels, ability to carry the ball from deep and middle 3rd passing should be a contender for one of the CM spots.

I think a loan would be a good move for him. He needs more regular starts in the engine room and he could better flesh out his game in that scenario. Next season will be very interesting for him.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Underrated and used too sparingly. Also think loan would be best.

Pyres7

He's talented but I don't know what his best role is. If he's playing as a number 10 he needs to have more of an impact in the final third. Whenever he got subbed on last season he was tidy but he wasn't much of a threat.

If he's playing as a CM he needs to get a bit better defensively, and build up more upper body strength. He'd also do well to extend his passing range and go for longer passes like Ceballos started doing post lock-down.

I agree that a loan would be good for him right now.

Manberg

Predator
Is it just me or was Willock playing as a #9 when he came on as a sub in the community shield?
Is it significant?

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Willock is the goal scoring box to box cm that Wenger so desperately wanted but the likes of Baptista, Ramsey and Diaby just werent up to required standard.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Is it just me or was Willock playing as a #9 when he came on as a sub in the community shield?
Is it significant?
Not really - hes Artetas utility man in attack these days so if he needs someone to run, dribble and cause chaos he brings him in on the wing or upfront. Not an ideal use of him IMO but he at least was good when he came on. I'm intrigued to see how they use him this season.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Willock is the goal scoring box to box cm that Wenger so desperately wanted but the likes of Baptista, Ramsey and Diaby just werent up to required standard.

With Joe’s attributes I think a massive opportunity is being missed by not using him in a more defensive role. The utility attacking role is better suited to a creative dribbler like Willian in my opinion.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Only problem with that is that he seems to miss quite a bit.

He’s got a great knack for getting into the position but needs to improve some of his other midfield attributes. He gives me slow burner vibes.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
With Joe’s attributes I think a massive opportunity is being missed by not using him in a more defensive role. The utility attacking role is better suited to a creative dribbler like Willian in my opinion.
In absolute agreement. He's scored a few goals but he was never a consistently good finisher in the youth teams and his shooting has become marginally better but not enough to justify giving him an offensive role. I can see the appeal of playing him there because of his body strength and dribbling ability, as well as his competitiveness in duels and late runs into the box, but I think these would all be far more useful in deeper areas, especially as I think he's not the most secure passer in the final 3rd IMO, his style of passing is much better suited to deeper areas where he can pass into space. It's a little jarring but his lack of refinement as a prospect makes this somewhat understandable that they're using him this way.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Wenger did that with other players. Just teach them to pass the ball into goal. It comes more naturally to them. His positioning, power, pace and knack for getting on the end of chances are already great attributes.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I think this season he'll be even better just need to sort out his decision making front of goal. Everything else he do is good running with ball passing movements is improving each game

Impact

Established Member
In absolute agreement. He's scored a few goals but he was never a consistently good finisher in the youth teams and his shooting has become marginally better but not enough to justify giving him an offensive role. I can see the appeal of playing him there because of his body strength and dribbling ability, as well as his competitiveness in duels and late runs into the box, but I think these would all be far more useful in deeper areas, especially as I think he's not the most secure passer in the final 3rd IMO, his style of passing is much better suited to deeper areas where he can pass into space. It's a little jarring but his lack of refinement as a prospect makes this somewhat understandable that they're using him this way.

Reminds me of Moussa Dembele — at first people assumed he had to be a player in a final third position because of his adept dribbling, but he was a bit blunt in terms of the final pass/shot. It was only when someone realised that the ability to progress play to the final third through dribbling/ball carrying was invaluable that his career was made. Think the same will be the case for Willock.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Reminds me of Moussa Dembele — at first people assumed he had to be a player in a final third position because of his adept dribbling, but he was a bit blunt in terms of the final pass/shot. It was only when someone realised that the ability to progress play to the final third through dribbling/ball carrying was invaluable and that his career was made. Think the same will be the case for Willock.
He's perfect for that role if they develop him correctly. He can still make late runs into the box from there - football isn't a static game - but it's a better fit for his skillset.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Reminds me of Moussa Dembele — at first people assumed he had to be a player in a final third position because of his adept dribbling, but he was a bit blunt in terms of the final pass/shot. It was only when someone realised that the ability to progress play to the final third through dribbling/ball carrying was invaluable that his career was made. Think the same will be the case for Willock.

Dembele was an incredible dribbler though. Don't think Willock is anywhere as accomplished.

But yeah further back would clearly be his ideal position. Though that shouldn't excuse poor form/performances - as we have seen with AMN and Saka as long as they play in this early stage they should make the best out of it.

DasBootist

Another one that people seem to rate only because of being from the academy. Runs around, misses sitters & does fvck all
Willock and Nelson need to show more this season, but they are both big talents. Try showing some patience ffs

EDIT: look at how AMN is performing atm. Willock and Nelson are both capable of producing similar performances imvho

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Dembele was an incredible dribbler though. Don't think Willock is anywhere as accomplished.

But yeah further back would clearly be his ideal position. Though that shouldn't excuse poor form/performances - as we have seen with AMN and Saka as long as they play in this early stage they should make the best out of it.
Willock's best quality IMO is his dribbling, particularly in deeper areas when he's been able to carry the ball through the middle 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom