• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Even with all the fans and media baying for blood in 2016/17 he only missed out on top 4 by one point and won the FA Cup for the 7th time. I'll let you answer your own question.

Emery missed out top 4 by one point & was in Europa League final in his first season.

People wanted him out too after that, which in hindsight would have been the right decision.

But by your logic it was the fans that made Emery fail. :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The whole of society mocked Darwin for suggesting we came from apes. You'd have been right in there calling him an an idiot, laughing with your mates. All those people can't be wrong about something. :lol:
You can’t call someone a crowd follower for having an opinion they formed themselves. It’s actually quite rude, you’re saying that you’re right and everyone who doesn’t agree with you is simply a crowd follower.

So it wasn’t the constant humiliations to rivals, or the failure to push on in the CL despite being an ever present in it that made me want to move on from Wenger. It was because others said it?

You’re spiralling now and making yourself look a bit ridiculous. Think of all the forum members and lurkers that are reading what you’re saying.

Wenger achieved admirable consistency in the CL but if you don’t improve you will get worse. That was his issue, and no matter who is manager if they kept getting knocked out in the last 16 of the CL the club would eventually want someone who can take them further. That’s what being a football club is all about.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
So keep the manager who you admit stayed too long because there's no guarantee you'll get someone better? What are you even saying right now.

Wtf?!

What are you so confused about? There's no point getting rid of Arsène if you're gonna downgrade, simple as that.

So in summary Wenger would have continued to finish in the top four indefinitely if it wasn't for the fans.

Nothing to do with United finally recovering from Fergie leaving, A Sp**s golden generation led by Kane/Poch and the revival of Liverpool kickstarted by Jurgen Klopp and Salah.

Nope, it was the pressure from the fans. Okayyyy.

No it's cos we constantly buy sh*t players, you're bringing up these teams like they're amazing lol. Top 4 is up for grabs every season no one apart from City and Liverpool are that impressive. Chelsea and United are way worse now than when Arsène was here.

How much do you really expect from him when we spend 100 mil on Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez and another 50 on Lacazette? You gotta have the players.

I think Arsène played in a very naive way that caused us many humiliating results, but at the same time we constantly had a squad full of bum players,

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Emery missed out top 4 by one point & was in Europa League final in his first season.

People wanted him out too after that, which in hindsight would have been the right decision.

But by your logic it was the fans that made Emery fail. :lol:
Eh? I can't remember Mr DT Emery rants frothing at the mouth in the internet, planes overhead telling him to **** off, Emery Out protests at the stadium, boycotts at home matches. Did I miss it all?

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Eh? I can't remember Mr DT Emery rants frothing at the mouth in the internet, planes overhead telling him to **** off, Emery Out protests at the stadium, boycotts at home matches. Did I miss it all?
0_GettyImages-1183206379.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000543584712-e1574976863228.jpg

rB8ApF3fsVaAArR-AAJfxHhxo7k580.jpg.webp

21611076-0-image-a-8_1575021843700.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You can’t call someone a crowd follower for having an opinion they formed themselves. It’s actually quite rude, you’re saying that you’re right and everyone who doesn’t agree with you is simply a crowd follower.

So it wasn’t the constant humiliations to rivals, or the failure to push on in the CL despite being an ever present in it that made me want to move on from Wenger. It was because others said it?

You’re spiralling now and making yourself look a bit ridiculous. Think of all the forum members and lurkers that are reading what you’re saying.

Wenger achieved admirable consistency in the CL but if you don’t improve you will get worse. That was his issue, and no matter who is manager if they kept getting knocked out in the last 16 of the CL the club would eventually want someone who can take them further. That’s what being a football club is all about.
You can't get an average of 75 points a season and finish in the top 4, win 7 FA Cups p, 3 EPL titles and get to the last rounds of the CL nearly every year for 20 years with constant humiliations. You're just exaggerating to make it look like you've actually thought for yourself.

What the fans never considered for one single minute is the role of money in football. Wenger never moved above 5th for his EPL spend on players, so what he was achieving was already beyond what would be expected. The EPL is nearly always won by a team spending in the top 3. There was nowhere else for Wenger to go to.

And squad cost has never corresponded across leagues because of the different ways leagues are run, their access to young players and the high fees of players transferring to the UK. Bayern Munich is an excellent example of what can be achieved in Germany with a much lower spend than say Manchester City.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

#EmeryOut was trending already at the beginning of 2019. There are news about it.

As to why the planes were pulled out, must have been because Wenger seemed like he will continue for years and they understandably needed more power to make him realize his time was up.

This is one of the biggest reasons why Wenger was past it, this was from February 2019. Emery had better record against top 6 in his time here than Wenger's last years.

ArsenalAwayAtBig6jpg.webp

Emery Out Trending - The 3 Reasons Why Arsenal Should Not Sack Their Manager Chris Knight

21:33, 14 Feb 2019

https://www.thesportsman.com/articl...ons-why-arsenal-should-not-sack-their-manager

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You can't get an average of 75 points a season and finish in the top 4, win 7 FA Cups p, 3 EPL titles and get to the last rounds of the CL nearly every year for 20 years with constant humiliations.
Talking about the final few years not his entire career, but again, you knew that.

@rich 1990 I'm starting to understand now, strawman upon strawman over here.

Wenger gave us many brilliant football players and football games. He gave us league titles and FA Cups. He gave us the invincibles season! He got us through the biggest hill in our debts after we switch stadiums, something future managers will reap the reward for!

I'm thankful for that! Merci Arsène!

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Basically my point is that there is a level that these players can reach and that isn't top 4. Regardless of manager we will finish around the same place if we don't buy better players.
At one point we had the Kos-Per partnership, Cazorla, Özil, Ramsey and Sanchez all operating at or close to their primes. This is when people started to realise that we should be doing a little more.

Wenger really wanted to continue signing the likes of Özil and Sanchez and wasn't realistic enough about other ways he could improve the squad. It's been downhill since then, @American_Gooner famously quotes the summer we only signed Cech as the beginning of the end really.

Soon after that we had too many gaps to fill but would try do it with a fixed budget, resulting in trash players who would fill a hole but not actually improve the team. We also lost CL money at around the same time and here we are!

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
At one point we had the Kos-Per partnership, Cazorla, Özil, Ramsey and Sanchez all operating at or close to their primes. This is when people started to realise that we should be doing a little more.

Wenger really wanted to continue signing the likes of Özil and Sanchez and wasn't realistic enough about other ways he could improve the squad. It's been downhill since then, @American_Gooner famously quotes the summer we only signed Cech as the beginning of the end really.

Soon after that we had too many gaps to fill but would try do it with a fixed budget, resulting in trash players who would fill a hole but not actually improve the team. We also lost CL money at around the same time and here we are!
That summer was the opportunity, you can't waste those. The worst part about not signing players then was that the needs in the squad start to pile up. So in 2016, in addition to signing a long-term replacement for Mertesacker you need the CM and CF you didn't get the previous year which leads to panic signings like Mustafi and Lucas Perez.

Honestly in sports it really is a case of "if you're standing still, you're going backwards". Liverpool are the best example of a team doing things the right way, when they had their "Cech in 2015" moment they used it to sign VVD and Allison to complete their team. Now they are in a position where they don't have to make wholesale changes to their squad all at once like Arsenal in 2017 and 2018. They're signing a back-up LB and if Wijnaldum goes they'll just get Thiago to replace him without missing a beat. They won't be in a position where they go into a summer needing 4 or 5 players. They can keep their squad ticking over with 2 or 3 in and 2 or 3 out every summer.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

"if you're standing still, you're going backwards".
It basically boils down to this.

Trax keeps referring to 20 years of CL in a row but nobody would be happy with that without any sort of progress. If top four is your aim then all you can do is get 4th or fail. If the title is your am then you always have the top four as a consolation prize. I think that's where we as a club messed up.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

It basically boils down to this.

Trax keeps referring to 20 years of CL in a row but nobody would be happy with that without any sort of progress. If top four is your aim then all you can do is get 4th or fail. If the title is your am then you always have the top four as a consolation prize. I think that's where we as a club messed up.
Here's a question you've never answered. One of the richest 3 squads nearly always win the league, and have done for years. Why should you demand a progression from top 4 knowing Arsenal have never had a squad spending more than 5th.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think the Merci's have run their course tbh. We all appreciate what he's done but a new era is well and truly upon us.

Time to say goodbye and farewell to this thread.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

We all appreciate what he's done but a new era is well and truly upon us.
Funny but I get the feeling the ones who swallowed the whole twisted narrative still don't appreciate what he did. But we can agree about the new era at least.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Even with all the fans and media baying for blood in 2016/17 he only missed out on top 4 by one point and won the FA Cup for the 7th time. I'll let you answer your own question.

with mert and holding playing a 3-5-2 against Conte. People talking about inflexibility and decline are idiots. The next season he resigned staying on just to enable a transition.

Top Bottom