• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: The True Joerdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
This guy eats up the ground and pushes the opposition back for fun. If he scored even half his chances, he'd buy himself more goodwill and time to improve his deficiencies. He's jot an all tounder imo, and would benefit from a fixed position even at this early stage.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’d also like to see this guy in a fixed position and played deeper as well. His skillset and attributes warrant it.

I feel like loan would be best for him. Not really feeling his utility role, he’s wasted a bit.

Impact

Established Member
Dembele was an incredible dribbler though. Don't think Willock is anywhere as accomplished.

But yeah further back would clearly be his ideal position. Though that shouldn't excuse poor form/performances - as we have seen with AMN and Saka as long as they play in this early stage they should make the best out of it.

Agreed that Dembele was a particularly gifted dribbler but I think Willock’s ball carrying potential is underrated. It may be less clean than we would like but at age 21, we already have a player capable of moving the ball from the middle third to the final third with only three to four touches, that is huge and has been a profile we have missed since the injury-filled days of Diaby or maybe Wilshere.

I also think our impression of Willock’s form should be less harsh. I think there is much more to come from him but I wouldn’t call what we are seeing poor because of the context. He’s mostly played a particular type of role. Coming in to offer fresh legs often in a tiring team just holding on while playing in less familiar roles. That’s a difficult position to be in.

Willock had the most appearances of any Arsenal player last season which is testament to the fact that every manager we had (Emery, Ljungberg and Arteta) valued something about his game to keep playing him. He is clearly doing well even if it is also true that he could do much better.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Very talented, but his decision making has gone down the toliet. I think a loan move would do him a world of good, particularly in the Championship, needs to be able to make mistakes and not be punished, it's all part of his learning process.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Me seeing any Willock hate..

EfIkF8IXoAA75Z3

nick gould

Has Joe been dropped from the England under 21 or is he not eligible anymore. I agree with those who say loan him out. Emily has had 2 loan spells already. A loan spell can do wonders for one confidence or drive or both.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Has Joe been dropped from the England under 21 or is he not eligible anymore. I agree with those who say loan him out. Emily has had 2 loan spells already. A loan spell can do wonders for one confidence or drive or both.
Dropped. Think he hasn't built up a decent bit of form. DaSilva and Eze got called up.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
This is probably the only player who I feel is being managed wrong by Arteta. I don't like this right mid off the bench ****. Let Nelson do that. I dont like Willock being played as the most advanced midfielder either.

Willock is a box to box type player, lets loan him out if he's not going to get minutes there. Maybe send him to a top Championship club or a lower PL team.

Iceman10

Established Member
I think ESR in his stage of development is going to be fine within overall first team squad depth for this coming season, but Willock is at a point where he needs more match minutes to kick on. Even if we brought in just one of Partey and Aouar I just don’t see Willock getting sufficient match minutes, so I’m on board with a loan. Surprised actually there are no rumours on the club working on finding him a club, but then again the transfer window has a ways to go and we still need to add to Ceballos for expected CM upgrades.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think ESR in his stage of development is going to be fine within overall first team squad depth for this coming season, but Willock is at a point where he needs more match minutes to kick on. Even if we brought in just one of Partey and Aouar I just don’t see Willock getting sufficient match minutes, so I’m on board with a loan. Surprised actually there are no rumours on the club working on finding him a club, but then again the transfer window has a ways to go and we still need to add to Ceballos for expected CM upgrades.
I can see him staying. Seems to be one of Arteta's utility men and will probably have Cup starts to jumpstart some momentum. Really up in the air what kind of season he's gonna have!

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
It excites me when you see him win the ball back and start attacks. He can be a top class B2B midfielder if he refines a few aspects of his game.

His off ball movement is top notch. Always gets himself in scoring positions ala Rambo. Hope he can kick on again this season.

gamechannel

Useless as tits on a bull. And has too much competition for playing time with Xhaka, Cebellos, ESR, ElNeny(if not sold), Torreira (if not sold), Willian, AMN, Özil (if brought back from exile). I jist don't see what he brings to thr table that others don't.

Sell.

nick gould

There was a time when Arsenal would go out there and buy an attacking midfielder like Lauren for example and play them as full-backs. I wondered last time I saw Joe playing as a wing-back if that could be the way for him too. His passing stood out from that position. He has the engine and decent pace but he has that awkward running style. I am just wondering.

nick gould

Of our current youngsters, Joe is the only one who has not been out on loan. He let the game pass him by. He kept drifting between playing as a 6 and as a 10. Good pass to release Pepe in the first half but I think he should be controlling the game more. Demand the ball, play a few simple passes in our own half.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He got better as the game went on. I thought he had a fairly weak 1st half and played a bit too casual but in the 2nd half he was much better in his use of the ball and in duels. I feel like he needs a loan as much as Nelson does, if only because he very rarely starts games and lacks consistency. There's definitely a player there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom