• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
I feel like our midfield gets bypassed easily with him there because he's slow/stiff and a bad tackler. But he's a good player and keeps our team ticking, I can see the negatives and positives.

I generally agree with your post, but if there is one thing that has improved under Arteta its his tackling. Since he came in if he makes them he does so much further up the pitch. Has much more successful ones and times them a lot better. He did a worldy of a perfectly timed one in Switzerland's game against Ukraine denying them a clear opportunity and starting a counter.

He's definitely still slow/stiff though and while its also reduced he's still got the tendency of getting bypassed too easily on occasion, I agree.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Hope we sign Partey and Aouar and Xhaka starts just to shut all the anti Xhaka clowns in here up.

He has done that already.

These hateful cronies were saying he's our worst midfielder, and that Torreira is miles better, tHe hIlL eMeRy WoUlD dIe On, etc. you name it.

Yet, he's still here, winning trophies and the first name on the team sheet. He has won.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Can't believe someone actually bothered to make a video of that.

Someone made an Elneny one for his game against Liverpool, he played well that day...but just why :lol:

Shame player comps weren't available back in the day as the tech didn't exist, could watch pretty much any Vieira game really :drool:

Last edited:

Manberg

Predator
Check the third goal against Fulham. It started with Xhaka in the centre half position passing it out the back. At the end of it, Xhaka was inside Fulham’s penalty box. Xhaka’s not as slow as many like to think he is.

Edit:
Video for proof. Xhaka’s number 34.

Bellerin’s pace is impressive he’s running like a rugby player.

Last edited:

Taneruit

Established Member

Check the third goal against Fulham. It started with Xhaka in the centre half position passing it out the back. At the end of it, Xhaka was inside Fulham’s penalty box. Xhaka’s not as slow as many like to think he is.

He isn't per se. He's playing B2B regularly for the national team. But for the premier league his acceleration is just a tad too slow to fully express that part of his game. That is also true.

Though apart from the dirty work he had to do under Arteta he also has done some of those plays more regularly again. I personally don't think Arteta has used Xhaka like he wants to use him so far. With the new players that role might change quite a bit. Will be an interesting and defining season for him.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Also, Xhaka covers about 60 meters in 12 seconds there... Nobody said he was quadraspazed :lol:

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
There are some people here that would rather see Xhaka win player of the season than see Arsenal win the league. Tbf Xhaka has had good games under Arteta, so has Elneny. I have yet to hear any Elneny fanboy say he should play every game just to annoy his haters or that he's one of the best midfielders in the world. I find that interesting.

Manberg

Predator
There are some people here that would rather see Xhaka win player of the season than see Arsenal win the league. Tbf Xhaka has had good games under Arteta, so has Elneny. I have yet to hear any Elneny fanboy say he should play every game just to annoy his haters or that he's one of the best midfielders in the world. I find that interesting.

:lol::lol::rofl::rofl::facepalm::facepalm:

Find me a quote of someone saying that or else you’re passing gas.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
I generally agree with your post, but if there is one thing that has improved under Arteta its his tackling. Since he came in if he makes them he does so much further up the pitch. Has much more successful ones and times them a lot better. He did a worldy of a perfectly timed one in Switzerland's game against Ukraine denying them a clear opportunity and starting a counter.

He's definitely still slow/stiff though and while its also reduced he's still got the tendency of getting bypassed too easily on occasion, I agree.

I think what’s improved is that Xhaka doesn’t need to cover so much ground anymore. He has support in the midfield. AMN and Tierney cover insane ground and are always back and able to support.

His awful tackles were often because he was out of position and not able to recover. Probably not completely his fault, but it happened in both Wenger’s and Emery’s systems.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

This is why no one takes Xhaka haters seriously anymore.

Taneruit

Established Member

Eh59aJPWoAIjK_n

Manberg

Predator
Xhaka would shine, even with a back 4 behind him, if he had a dynamic and athletic runner beside him. Without one he’s been set up to fail. Xhaka can be compared to guys like Pirlo, or Kroos of the modern era.

Pirlo had Gattuso or De Rossi beside him for Italy, or Vidal for Juve. Without them doing the running beside him then Pirlo would be an immobile passing fanatic who would constantly be exposed, but because of them he was put into a position to succeed and was one of the world’s best.

Similarly, Kroos has the likes of Khedira and Casemiro beside him. Without them doing the running, his limited athleticism would also be exposed.

Xhaka meanwhile has never had that dynamic partner taking on that defensive responsibility. If he had then maybe Arsenal fans would have seen him in the same light as Kroos or Pirlo.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Xhaka would shine, even with a back 4 behind him, if he had a dynamic and athletic runner beside him. Without one he’s been set up to fail. Xhaka can be compared to guys like Pirlo, or Kroos of the modern era.
Tut tut - I was so close to agreeing until right there.

TakeChillPill

Established Member

Pirlo had Gattuso or De Rossi beside him for Italy, or Vidal for Juve. Without them doing the running beside him then Pirlo would be an immobile passing fanatic who would constantly be exposed, but because of them he was put into a position to succeed and was one of the world’s best.

Similarly, Kroos has the likes of Khedira and Casemiro beside him. Without them doing the running, his limited athleticism would also be exposed.

Xhaka meanwhile has never had that dynamic partner taking on that defensive responsibility. If he had then maybe Arsenal fans would have seen him in the same light as Kroos or Pirlo.

Please don't put xhaka in the same bracket as Kroos or Pirlo. Kroos and Pirlo are both masters at creating half a yard of space to create space for them selves when being pressed and can pass the ball under pressure. Which xhaka struggles with.

Admittedly all three aren't the best quickest without the ball and this can be problem matrix when having to defend counters. However Kroos and Pirlos is to dictate the game from deep and also be a creative force.

Xhaka is only decent when he has a bit of time and space.

Taneruit

Established Member

Please don't put xhaka in the same bracket as Kroos or Pirlo. Kroos and Pirlo are both masters at creating half a yard of space to create space for them selves when being pressed and can pass the ball under pressure. Which xhaka struggles with.

Admittedly all three aren't the best quickest without the ball and this can be problem matrix when having to defend counters. However Kroos and Pirlos is to dictate the game from deep and also be a creative force.

Xhaka is only decent when he has a bit of time and space.

Xhaka just dominated Kroos and Gundogan less than a month ago.

Ah, I forgot that doesn't count. Like everything in favor of Xhaka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom