• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 943,280
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Think this is another transfer that's really going to drag on till the end of the window. Lyon are in a state financially though. Hopefully we can end up getting him for £50mish including add ons.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Partey-Ceballos-Aouar is an incredibly balanced midfield three and if we get that I back us to make top 4 under Arteta.

Only question will be about chance creation over the length of the season but with a creative winger in Willian and to a lesser extent Saka (not sure whether to include Pepe here, calling him creative seems a bit too much even if he'll hopefully be an important presence creative chances this season) and hopefully an Aouar that goes up a level creatively alongside better teammates in a more expressive set up, I think we'll just about create enough.

wolfkidultman

Partey-Ceballos-Aouar is an incredibly balanced midfield three and if we get that I back us to make top 4 under Arteta.

Only question will be about chance creation over the length of the season but with a creative winger in Willian and to a lesser extent Saka (not sure whether to include Pepe here, calling him creative seems a bit too much even if he'll hopefully be an important presence creative chances this season) and hopefully an Aouar that goes up a level creatively alongside better teammates in a more expressive set up, I think we'll just about create enough.

Xhaka in for Ceballos and I agree.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Xhaka in for Ceballos and I agree.

Ceballos is better than Xhaka at pretty much everything. He's very much a pivot player, some misconception about what type of player he is I think has confused people about how he's regarded in terms of type. He's very much like for like with Xhaka and in a 3 with a player like Aouar who likes to help out in defence and Partey a player who defends and covers ground, that's a complete midfield 3. Xhaka is just choosing the lesser player for no good reason at all. He'll get plenty of games though of course, best XIs only really happen a few times through the season anyways.

Anders Harbo

Angry Scandinavian #6
Mainly pointless cup games mate, can’t remember them off the top of my head tbh.
I bet you remembered, if he caught the eye in any of those games. I think it’s bizarre to call the games pointless. For ESR they are crucial games, where he has to impress.

Last edited:

wolfkidultman

Ceballos is better than Xhaka at pretty much everything. He's very much a pivot player, some misconception about what type of player he is I think has confused people about how he's regarded in terms of type. He's very much like for like with Xhaka and in a 3 with a player like Aouar who likes to help out in defence and Partey a player who defends and covers ground, that's a complete midfield 3. Xhaka is just choosing the lesser player for no good reason at all. He'll get plenty of games though of course, best XIs only really happen a few times through the season anyways.

Ceballos has some way to go to prove that he’s a better player than Xhaka in our team. We lack any sort of stability without Xhaka. Yes, Partey and Aouar could help us in that regard but Ceballos hasn’t yet earned the right to walk into our first team despite an encouraging end to last season. There’s also the balance that Xhaka as a left footed player offers - something that I’d imagine Arteta is very keen on what with the way he prioritised getting left footed defenders into the side.

Gunner D

Coronavirus Truther; ex. Gunner boy dd
I bet you remembered, if he caught the eye in any of those games. I think it’s bizarre to call the games pointless. For ESR they are crucial games, where he has to impress.
I said I don’t remember. I don’t tend to remember league cup or europa league group games. Why you so hung up on him?

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
That is true, the left-footedness is a plus for Xhaka.

But Xhaka is what he is, a capable player against lesser sides who does offer stability and good passing, who will be exposed against better sides in more exigent situations.

Ceballos hasn't earned that right, sure, and I agree with some that say he might not even start over Elneny against West Ham, but cream rises to the top and over the course of a season Ceballos-Partey-Aouar would no doubt prove to be far and away our best midfield.

Iceman10

Established Member
Ceballos has some way to go to prove that he’s a better player than Xhaka in our team. We lack any sort of stability without Xhaka. Yes, Partey and Aouar could help us in that regard but Ceballos hasn’t yet earned the right to walk into our first team despite an encouraging end to last season. There’s also the balance that Xhaka as a left footed player offers - something that I’d imagine Arteta is very keen on what with the way he prioritised getting left footed defenders into the side.

Was going to say with some comments here at A-M recently. Let’s not pretend Xhaka doesn’t exist or hasn’t performed decently in recent times. He isn’t going anywhere, and he wouldn’t be easily displaced from the First XI right now. Unpopular view maybe, but just factual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom