• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Formation 20/21 Season

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Okay so say we want the 343 to 433 formation for the season. Do we need Partey?

We press as a unit, we can sit deep in a low block and we can press when we lose the ball. The importance isnt in a big tall dm who brings physicality. The importance is technical quality, tactical awareness and ability to beat a press. Granted Partey can add all these things, but it looks unlikely when you consider that we want Aouar. Xhaka is a mainstay and is competing with Ceballos. So a double pivot of Aouar and Xhaka/Ceballos would work with a back 3.

The problem is this system hinges on Tierney as he is essentially playing lcb, lb, and lwb. It would make more sense to buy a back up for him like Ndicka or even Diallo from PSG in exchange for Bellerin in order to keep the system going.

GK: Leno/ Raya
Lcb: Tierney/ Ndicka
Cb:Gabriel/ Mari/ Luiz
Rcb: Saliba/ Mustafi/ Holding
Lwb: Saka/AMN
Cm: Aoaur/ Xhaka
Cm: Ceballos/ Elneny
Rwb: Bellerin/ Soares
Rwf: Pepe/Willian/ Nelson
Cf: Edouard/ Nketiah
Lwf: Auba/Martinelli

Just a thought.

Works both ways though. Partey instead of Aouar also makes sense with a back 3. Arguably makes us even stronger.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

We press as a unit, we can sit deep in a low block and we can press when we lose the ball. The importance isnt in a big tall dm who brings physicality. The importance is technical quality, tactical awareness and ability to beat a press. Granted Partey can add all these things, but it looks unlikely when you consider that we want Aouar. Xhaka is a mainstay and is competing with Ceballos. So a double pivot of Aouar and Xhaka/Ceballos would work with a back 3.

The problem is this system hinges on Tierney as he is essentially playing lcb, lb, and lwb. It would make more sense to buy a back up for him like Ndicka or even Diallo from PSG in exchange for Bellerin in order to keep the system going.

Just a thought.

Think Partey has been off the table for a while. Auba, Pepe, Gabriel, Saliba mean we are no longer a small team but another in midfield would make us a big team. It's as you say though you don't need always need a giant to be effective. There have been loads of effective small defensive mids

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Think Partey has been off the table for a while. Auba, Pepe, Gabriel, Saliba mean we are no longer a small team but another in midfield would make us a big team. It's as you say though you don't need always need a giant to be effective. There have been loads of effective small defensive mids

Bayern played a double pivot of Thiago and Kimmich. It's all about the system and coaching. Aouar with Ceballos could easily function, but would require the wing backs to be very good at their jobs.

Saka----Aouar-----Ceballos-----AMN
-------Tierney----Gabriel----Saliba

That unit would shift to:

----------Saka----Caballos----Aouar
Tierney-----Gabriel---Saliba---AMN

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Long term plan is a 433.

Leno
Bellerin - Saliba - Gabriel - Tierney
Xhaka
Partey - Aouar
Pepe - Auba - Willian/Saka
This will be next season in my opinion. And even if we were to sign Aouar this summer I believe he would be used sparingly. Partey however, would be used now.

We have to remember Ceballos is here for a season, nothing more nothing less. Luiz is leaving next summer, same with Özil. By next summer the squad will be streamlined and the dross 95% gone.

This season is all about getting top four, winning the europa league or both.

Unless its a home game against a low block, defensive team who offer little going forward we will be playing 343.

Leno
Bellerin - Luiz - Gabriel - Tierney - AMN/Saka
Partey - Xhaka
Willian/Pepe - Laca - Auba/Saka
Of course Luiz/Gabriel can be replaced by whoever is in the best form, but i expect Gabriel to be a main stay. Ceballos, Elneny and Aouar can come in if and when needed.

We will pick up injuries, this is a very different season and its very congested, thats why its so important that we got Ceballos.

Pyres7

Just a thought.

Works both ways though. Partey instead of Aouar also makes sense with a back 3. Arguably makes us even stronger.

Partey's a complete midfielder, he would complement Xhaka more than Aouar in a 2 man midfield. He'd bring in much needed steel and athleticism to our midfield. And gives us a good alternative to Xhaka too.

Aouar is another slow technician, I think he'd be wasted in a two man midfield in our current formation. If we get him we want him closer to the goal where he can create/score himself.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Partey's a complete midfielder, he would complement Xhaka more than Aouar in a 2 man midfield. He'd bring in much needed steel and athleticism to our midfield. And gives us a good alternative to Xhaka too.

Aouar is another slow technician, I think he'd be wasted in a two man midfield in our current formation. If we get him we want him closer to the goal where he can create/score himself.

Aouar isn't slow. Xhaka, Ceballos and Elneny are slow, if Aouar gets past you, the only way you bring him down is by fouling him.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

Not convinced 3 ATB works very well without AMN or Tierney in the left side. Gabriel as LCB and AMN/Tierney I'm sure would work but probably to a lesser extent.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Not convinced 3 ATB works very well without AMN or Tierney in the left side. Gabriel as LCB and AMN/Tierney I'm sure would work but probably to a lesser extent.

Yesterday's match was Emery-like, luckily people aren't jumping on Arteta based on this.

Basically the 3 atb doesn't work without Tierney. Gabriel can't do what Tierney does going forward. We have no one to replace Tierney if he is out. Kola can theoretically but in reality not like we saw.

So should we try 4-3-3? Gabriel has been surprisingly good already.

Who would be the 2nd CB? Luiz? Holding? They don't fill me with confidence in this setup, but could work.

When defending Xhaka/Elneny could drop as 3rd CB if necessary.

Gegen Pressing

- playing out from the back the third defender is important against pressing as there are less obvious interception lines

- I do believe wing backs are more natural than left backs because , statistically sitting in the middle is advantage to starting from the back when running back and forth a lot

-
watching years of center forwards sneaking in between our two-defenders pair i.e Drogba Vs Silvester /Squid ,
having a third real central defender is sane.

idan

do you guys believe we will see 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 sometime soon?
i just want to see more movement between the attack and mid.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
do you guys believe we will see 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 sometime soon?
i just want to see more movement between the attack and mid.

Don't even know anymore. Think its down to midfield signings personally and I think Partey is the key to a balanced midfield. Not Aouar. Sign Aouar and in a 4231 you still don't have the right balance in midfield. Sign Partey and it suddenly opens up so many possibilities. We use 343 for more stability which allows us to play our slow, un-athletic midfielders.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

We really need those two midfielders in and move away from this formation. Its defensively sound but it's not creative enough

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We need to abandon it once we sign those mids. I'd argue before then. Give it a go Thursday
Yes it's a must it'll take time to work and we could end up conceding 10 shots a game or more but at least we'll attack and play some quick football.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

formation-05-10-2020-22-25-42.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom