• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Typical English arrogance.

This kid put in some commanding performances at Ligue 1 level, and you think the likes of Deeney and Murray will be a challenge for him?
a different challenge than what he has faced yes

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I’d worry about him being overused as well. Championship clubs are playing pretty much every 3/4 days this season. Sure we could put in an agreement that he only plays once a week but will a side want to keep chopping and changing their CB partnership in that case?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Watford are playing with three CBs this season. Not sure if that would be seen as a positive or negative by the club. Kabasele / Wilmot / Cathcart

BobP

Memri Fan
Troy Deeney has consistently been a challenge to top level PL defenders. Watford being relegated doesn’t negate that reality.

The man is a shell of his former self.

Also, no other championship forward stands out as a physical bull in the mould of Deeney.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I’m sure I read somewhere that he struggled in Ligue 1 anyway? It’s not like you’re getting someone who was even rated as a top Ligue 1 CB currently. The guy is a MASSIVE work in progress.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Don’t see how? If anything I’m saying let’s be patient and develop him slowly. He’s clearly not ready if a move back to France was on the cards.

Maybe i misread you but I think you're really underrating him. He was starting and dominating games at a really young age for a CB.

I think Arteta can be very conservative, if Wenger was still here Saliba would almost certainly be starting cup games - at least. I'm not sure how Saliba's personal issues are affecting things tbf.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I think Norwich or Bournemouth would be good for him tbh. I’d rather he play every week than just hang about the club.
Bournemouth under Eddie Howe would have been good, but that bird has flown, alas

there are no French managers in the Championship at the moment, and I wouldn't want to see him playing for a Joey Barton type

keep him for now and try St Etienne again in Janaury if he's still struggling

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Why did his loan to St. Etienne break down?

I guess it makes sense he has a year learning football in England, even if it's in the Championship, a bit below his level (though tbf, from what I saw the other day, it might indeed be his level at the moment, looked quite raw in decision making but it was just a U23 game, motivation and concentration levels might not have been ideal), given his lack of progress with the language.

Playing him in Europa League and loaning him out in January isn't a bad one either.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Why did his loan to St. Etienne break down?

I guess it makes sense he has a year learning football in England, even if it's in the Championship, a bit below his level (though tbf, from what I saw the other day, it might indeed be his level at the moment, looked quite raw in decision making but it was just a U23 game, motivation and concentration levels might not have been ideal), given his lack of progress with the language.

Playing him in Europa League and loaning him out in January isn't a bad one either.
Apparently it was on our end. I read we didn't send over administrative details in time to finalise the deal. Understandable giving the other business we were doing lol

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Apparently it was on our end. I read we didn't send over administrative details in time to finalise the deal. Understandable giving the other business we were doing lol

Ugh, that's frustrating for the lad, for the move not to go through just on administrative details.

Understandable to some extent but probably should've taken care of it in the days before, no?

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Ugh, that's frustrating for the lad, for the move not to go through just on administrative details.

Understandable to some extent but probably should've taken care of it in the days before, no?
Yea we really should have taken care of it. Maybe a championship loan will happen.

Ps: "that's frustrating for the lad" sounds like such a british phrase lol is that really how people talk in spain? How much British culture have you been soaking up on here lol

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Send him on loan to Watford so Deeney can teach him cajones.

Vanpayslip

I think it is a non issue. The next window is 10 weeks away. Until then we have a heavy schedule because of Europa league.

Even if elsewhere in England is not appropriate for him now, he can still do work for the next 10 weeks and should be more than adequate for Europa league opponents. And in 10 weeks he can find a home elsewhere.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Ps: "that's frustrating for the lad" sounds like such a british phrase lol is that really how people talk in spain? How much British culture have you been soaking up on here lol

Haha I'm bilingual and a translator, but tbh, yeah, we'd say something similar in spanish, just saying chaval instead of lad.

Anyways, yeah, tbh I don't think a championship loan is a bad idea at all for him but for the "lad" himself that will no doubt have been really frustrating. :lol:

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I’m sure I read somewhere that he struggled in Ligue 1 anyway? It’s not like you’re getting someone who was even rated as a top Ligue 1 CB currently. The guy is a MASSIVE work in progress.

He basically single handedly took a bottom half team to the top half table turning them into a clean sheet machine in process (hence the price tag and so many clubs afer him). That said in the second season he apparently wasnt near that level. Although this may come from playing mainly one side of a back 3 in his first season to the following season playing mainly at a back 4 on the opposite side of a pairing.

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think it is a non issue. The next window is 10 weeks away. Until then we have a heavy schedule because of Europa league.

Even if elsewhere in England is not appropriate for him now, he can still do work for the next 10 weeks and should be more than adequate for Europa league opponents. And in 10 weeks he can find a home elsewhere.

Doubt many decent teams are going to play a 19 young centre back for a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom