• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who starts alongside Partey?

Who would you start alongside Partey?

• Xhaka

• Elneny

• Ceballos

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Well obviously Xhaka, Ceballos-Partey as a pivot doesn't complement each other well at all. Both are basically 8's. But we still could see some evolution in terms of the system that would mean 3 of them.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Some people are underrating Xhaka imo as he was still our best midfielder when fit even though Ceballos was showing good form.

It’s obvious that Arteta rates Xhaka highly and he’ll be the one that starts alongside Partey. Got a feeling that he’ll surprise a few this season as long as he’s playing alongside Partey.
Xhaka being our best midfielder is like saying Harry Maguire is Utd’s best centre back. It’s probably true but that’s something that has to change quickly if you want to be a serious club.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Think we could see all three starting a lot of the time. Its quite flat as a midfield, but should provide a lot of control to games.

I'd like to see them all play at some stage, with Willian on the left coming between the lines with Auba at 9 and Pepe out wide providing 1v1 threat.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I would like to see Xhaka, Partey, Özil in midfield together, but Arteta will probably go for Xhaka, Partey and Ceballos which lacks on the offensive side but we‘ll have 70% of the ball most of the time at least.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
It’s from the Athetic’s piece on him today.

Here’s the (no doubt offending) paragraph:
The head of international scouting at the time, Francis Cagigao, was spearheading Arsenal’s charm offensive. Over lunch, Partey spoke at length about his style of play, his preferred positions. He said his preference is to operate as one of a pair of deep-lying midfielders, but he can also play at the base alone. He talked admiringly of Granit Xhaka, and admitted he could envisage playing in tandem with the Switzerland international.
Makes sense he wants to play with Xhaka. What better way to showcase how good you are than show the full range of your talents next to such a limited player?

I mean think back to when Cabellos came on vs Liverpool. The ability to play a forward pass really stood out after watching Xhaka and Elneny pass it sideways and backwards for 60 mins.

What a maestro. Unreal reading of the game within the game from our new guy Thomas.

say yes

forum master baiter
Are the two people who voted for Elneny (@razörist , @#254 ) trolling btw? Added that option as a joke and now I’m extremely worried I’m going to have to place the pair of you on my ignore / ridicule list.

Please confirm immediately. Thanks.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It will be Xhaka Partey which to me suggests we’ll be seeing a 434 sooner rather than later as he won’t leave out Ceballos out for long and I think Ceballos does have potential in the final third.

There’s a lot of overlap between Xhaka and Partey so I’m hoping that Xhaka becomes more adventurous with his passing like he used to be. Line breaking passes are pretty much the only thing he has over Partey so if he doesn’t showcase that then he’s kind of redundant.

Divided_Pie

It will depend on the competition and formation.

I think we'll see Partey - Ceballos against the bigger teams that press a lot. I think Xhaka will play against teams that don't press well.

Worth keeping in mind that both players didn't really excel until they were both playing deep in front of a back 3. Also interesting that Arteta has seemingly favored Elneny over both Ceballos and Xhaka in recent league matches. Xhaka was pulled against Liverpool and Ceballos started on the bench against Sheffield, while Elneny played the full 90 in both.

I personally don't want to see Ceballos or Xhaka play further forward in a 3. Neither one of them can make quick decisions and execute them with the compressed time and space available in the final 3rd. Both need time on the ball. Ceballos was tried at #10 and that experiment failed... he didn't start to thrive until he was played deeper.

Rather have Saka or Willian or even Özil playing higher up.

Top Bottom