• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manchester City vs Arsenal| Saturday 17th October 17:30| Sky Sports

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Genuinely puzzling why anyone would want to see a front 3 of Auba, Laca and Willian in a game like this.

3 old limited players who aren't capable of carrying the ball, keeping it, dribbling, etc. There's so many deficiencies in that, it's laughable. Not to mention the gap between them and our flat midfield is massive, there's no connection, no wonder we're incapable of creating regular chances.

Pepe has to absolutely start. Willian looks physically shot in games like these already, I expected him to do more ball carrying and dribbling but so far we have seen none of it and he seems completely isolated on the right in a 343.

Auba up top, no excuses anymore.

LW Saka/Willian depending on the formation. Guess we'll go for 343, so Saka is likely to be LWB, so hope Willian will provide a link between the attackers and midfield.

Leno
Holding Luiz Gabriel
Bellerin Partey Ceballos Saka
Willian
Pepe Auba

boxerumble

Baked Canadian

No chance we are “battering” city. With or without Partey this is a very difficult game where we may get punished if KDB has his usual masterclass against us. If Aguero starts and Sterling is on form, I can see us conceding a penalty. City will have most of the ball and no chance they make the same mistakes they made against Leicester. They need a win so they will be hungry

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If we go at them we have a better chance of wininng than if we set up the low block and try to nullify them.

The way to hurt City is fairly obvious. Ball over the top. Their weakness is in the spaces behind their full backs so if you think about it, you don’t really need to go at them all game, you just need to be organised and break quickly.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Genuinely puzzling why anyone would want to see a front 3 of Auba, Laca and Willian in a game like this.

3 old limited players who aren't capable of carrying the ball, keeping it, dribbling, etc. There's so many deficiencies in that, it's laughable. Not to mention the gap between them and our flat midfield is massive, there's no connection, no wonder we're incapable of creating regular chances.
Whilst I do see what you are saying, I wouldn't expect us to create many chances whoever we go with - so you would want guys who can take their chances.

Lacazette isn't amazing, but neither is City back four and I imagine he is strong enough to pin their defenders down and make stuff stick. I can't really see any one else doing that.

Think he's been dropped anyways, wouldn't be surprised to see Eddie get the nod and Laca off the bench. Wouldn't be mad at your line up though, I have always been a big advocate of Auba through the middle and can't see why Arteta does not do it.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Whilst I do see what you are saying, I wouldn't expect us to create many chances whoever we go with - so you would want guys who can take their chances.

Lacazette isn't amazing, but neither is City back four and I imagine he is strong enough to pin their defenders down and make stuff stick. I can't really see any one else doing that.

Think he's been dropped anyways, wouldn't be surprised to see Eddie get the nod and Laca off the bench. Wouldn't be mad at your line up though, I have always been a big advocate of Auba through the middle and can't see why Arteta does not do it.

If Eddie starts then Arteta deserves the sack.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If Eddie starts then Arteta deserves the sack.
Big matches/teams, Arteta has always opted for experience over Hale End gang.

If it wasn’t for Laca’s miss against Pool and getting benched against Sheffield Utd I would be pretty sure he starts. He’s did ok last time.

I legit can’t tell.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Big matches/teams, Arteta has always opted for experience over Hale End gang.

If it wasn’t for Laca’s miss against Pool and getting benched against Sheffield Utd I would be pretty sure he starts. He’s did ok last time.

I legit can’t tell.

Against this City team it would be wise to play Laca or Auba through the middle.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Auba’s pretty darn good at finishing period. Especially in the box. Why limit him to only one type? The bicycle kick against Olympiacos, the one touch near post from Ainsley’s cross against Valencia and many others.

Imagine if we played Thierry Henry on the left wing and Wiltord through the centre just because Henry could bend it with his right better than Pires?

He’s had 4 shots in 3 games this season. Our best striker of the ball, and our most accurate finisher spends most of the game chasing wing backs. He’s scored no less goals through the middle, and his movement there makes us a much bigger threat.

I think Saka can get Sancho numbers of goals and assists from the wing, and we NEED to get the maximum out of our investment in Pepe.

Laca/Eddie should both be a back up solution or impact sub. Neither have the strength or stamina to do 90 minutes anyway.

You make a good case.

Ashybashy86

Don't see the point in not starting Partey. He's not a young player, and will hopefully be match fit. I'd understand if he was a defender.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
From the blue moon pre-match thread
Just a bit worried of abu
He will play in that channel between walker and possible Diaz
If we don't shut that channel he could possibly pick us off

They are going to expect us to play 4-3-3, they will counter with a back 3/5 and will beat us again. Either try a back 3/5 or start Dinho and Rodri and keep them on all game

Small time ****s have just sacked the club mascot as part of the cost cutting exercise.
Isn't it a bit rich for them to call us 'small time' :lol:

Given this new energetic and much steelier Arsenal,we could probably do with Gabby's industry and workrate,he defends from the front better than our other forwards.This won't be a game for passengers.

hate arsenal and their coach. hope we smash them. jammy team. long ball merchants.

Absolutely pointless trying to predict a team for this until after Pep's press conference the day before the game. Anything could happen with Internationals, Covid, Injuries etc...

Already Arsenal will be without Tierney as he's been forced into quarantine & out of the Scotland squad meaning he'll miss this game. I expect more of that will follow.

This season will all be about which team & squad are the most flexible & able to react to players missing at the last minute unexpected & hopefully once we get going after the International break that'll be us

Surely we can beat the gunners this time!

Goonger

The way to hurt City is fairly obvious. Ball over the top. Their weakness is in the spaces behind their full backs so if you think about it, you don’t really need to go at them all game, you just need to be organised and break quickly.

I think Arteta will be conservative, & stick with his 343 formation, but taking what you said I'd be tempted to tweak it to get the pace up top like you said & play something like a 352 with Auba & Pepe being the 2 & playing in the half spaces between Centre back & full back to cause them issues & make them turn.

Last edited:

GunnerShy

I'll make a couple of assumptions 1) Tierney becomes available. 2) nobody else in injured in international duty.

3-4-3
Holding Luiz Tierney
Bellerin Xhaka Party AMN
Willian Laca Auba

That's my guess. But who knows if Party will start. For more invention and penetration I'd like to see Ceballos for Xhaka and Pepe for Willian.
I'd also like to see Gabriel start but Tierney plays that hybrid LB/LCB role so well. No idea how Gabriel would go in it if Tierney can't play.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
From the blue moon pre-match thread

Isn't it a bit rich for them to call us 'small time' :lol:

"hate arsenal and their coach. hope we smash them. jammy team. long ball merchants."

Think the true definition of a "jammy team" is...a team that doesn't do anything in the Premiership era except survive relegation or get relegated, until some rich **** goes "I want to buy Man United", is then told he can't, then goes "This team is close enough to that name I guess."

Would be comfortable with our defensive tactics with a proper keeper like Martinez but Leno gives me zero confidence for 90 minutes of defending.

So its time to swallow it and ditch three at the back system and play 4-2-3-1 and attack them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom