• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who starts alongside Partey?

Who would you start alongside Partey?

• Xhaka

• Elneny

• Ceballos

Results are only viewable after voting.

blaze_of_glory

It may be premature but the subbing of Xhaka and then him not starting is so rare in his arsenal career that I think it could signal Arteta doesn't seem him as the future

Partey Ceballos Saka
I dont' think much can be read into that (despite the desperate hope of some on here). He played 60 and then 90 min in games vs Liverpool (both at Anfield) that were three days apart. Then rested against Sheffield at home three days after that.

But I guess we'll see.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I dont' think much can be read into that (despite the desperate hope of some on here). He played 60 and then 90 min in games vs Liverpool (both at Anfield) that were three days apart. Then rested against Sheffield at home three days after that.

But I guess we'll see.

I would normally agree not to read too much into this but in this case I think it is significant. Even if there were only 3 days between the games I don't think Xhaka has ever been benched for a PL game under Arteta. Similarly has Arteta ever subbed him off with a half hour to go in a PL game too? Both these things happened within a week.

Talking of never seen before stuff. Has Arteta played Auba central before too? I think maybe Arteta feels there is enough stability in the team now that he can experiment a bit without the team collapsing.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I would normally agree not to read too much into this but in this case I think it is significant. Even if there were only 3 days between the games I don't think Xhaka has ever been benched for a PL game under Arteta. Similarly has Arteta ever subbed him off with a half hour to go in a PL game too? Both these things happened within a week.

Talking of never seen before stuff. Has Arteta played Auba central before too? I think maybe Arteta feels there is enough stability in the team now that he can experiment a bit without the team collapsing.

In addition to those two Liverpool matches, Xhaka played 45 minutes against Croatia in a friendly on 7.10.2020.

On 10.10.2020 he will play Nations League A against Spain, and 13.10.2020 same against Germany.

I have no doubt, Xhaka will be a key player for Arteta this season. He is also the only left-footed midfielder we have apart from Saka.

In this video Arteta explains how tough season this is.

"..so we gonna get injuries, we gonna get players tired, and we are gonna have to believe in all the players we have in the squad, and rotate them."

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-what-partey-will-add-our-team

blaze_of_glory

He still played about 20 min though, he wasn't benched. We had 3 games in 9 days plus his international duty after.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
In addition to those two Liverpool matches, Xhaka played 45 minutes against Croatia in a friendly on 7.10.2020.

On 10.10.2020 he will play Nations League A against Spain, and 13.10.2020 same against Germany.

I have no doubt, Xhaka will be a key player for Arteta this season. He is also the only left-footed midfielder we have apart from Saka.

In this video Arteta explains how tough season this is.

"..so we gonna get injuries, we gonna get players tired, and we are gonna have to believe in all the players we have in the squad, and rotate them."

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-what-partey-will-add-our-team

He still played about 20 min though, he wasn't benched. We had 3 games in 9 days plus his international duty after.

I'm not saying I think Xhaka will be dropped from now on. I think he will still be an important player for Arteta. Just that now he will be rotated out in some games. Whereas before, along with Auba he was one of the few players who would play every minute in every meaningful game.

I could be wrong but while I think he will still be a regular starter I can see him being rested/dropped in the odd game here and there.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I'm not saying I think Xhaka will be dropped from now on. I think he will still be an important player for Arteta
What do you mean by important? Is that someone who is considered a starter or someone who has to perform if we want to win?
For example, Bellerin is a starter, but it would be a joke to say he is important to us, but Auba is important and a starter.
Xhaka will probably somehow find a place in this team (probably at the expense of Ceballos or Pepe who are both better players), but he will never be an important player for us. Important players are Auba, Partey, Gabriel, Ceballos, and hopefully Pepe. These are the players you expect to lead the team if we want to achieve anything this season, everyone else is expendable and not that important.

My main issue with having Xhaka next to Partey is that we don't know how Ceballos will perform in the number 10 role. If he doesn't do well he needs to go back to play next to Partey and Xhaka will need to be dropped.
If Ceballos does well, and we can play Pepe/Willian on the wings with Auba up front, I'm OK with Xhaka, but that's far from saying he will be important to us.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

But I guess we'll see.
Did you read that thing about Edu and how he likes legs... It doesn’t look good mate.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It may be premature but the subbing of Xhaka and then him not starting is so rare in his arsenal career that I think it could signal Arteta doesn't seem him as the future

Partey Ceballos Saka
Don't do it to yourself mate. He just had a lot of minutes and is important to Arteta.:lol:

Xhaka for lyfffff.

African Flair

Atm Ceballos is undroppeble imo. Could quickly change of course but that's my midfield after the brake.
More curious if Arteta will transition back to a back 4 or continue with this shape-shifting formation.

blaze_of_glory

Did you read that thing about Edu and how he likes legs... It doesn’t look good mate.
Have you read what Arteta has directly said about Xhaka? Loves everything about him. Always possible he eventually moves him on but all indications are that he sees Xhaka as integral to the team at this point.

blaze_of_glory

I'm not saying I think Xhaka will be dropped from now on. I think he will still be an important player for Arteta. Just that now he will be rotated out in some games. Whereas before, along with Auba he was one of the few players who would play every minute in every meaningful game.

I could be wrong but while I think he will still be a regular starter I can see him being rested/dropped in the odd game here and there.
For sure, I agree with that. We need to be able to rotate and now we can.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Have you read what Arteta has directly said about Xhaka? Loves everything about him. Always possible he eventually moves him on but all indications are that he sees Xhaka as integral to the team at this point.
My 'hate' aside, I can't see how he gets used as much now.

drippin

Wanted to sign him to City, or was one of the players on his list.

Sure he wants bad players with feet to City and has only now got wiser about Xhaka while still complimenting him.

Or just lied about the City stuff like some here love to suggest about our club management.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Of course he won't be used as much in this tough season. And now that we have other options who are as good. Doubt anyone disagrees.
What if it becomes quite apparent that he doesn't form a part of our best midfield though? That's a possibility now. That's more what I really mean. I'm not praying for that to happen... honestly :drool:

blaze_of_glory

Arteta has shown no reservations about completely dropping players he doesn't want or like, even when facing a shortage in their position. Guendouzi could have helped at CM but didn't get a sniff. Özil literally our only CAM but hasn't seen the field since March.

Meanwhile he intervened to ensure Xhaka stayed when he was about to go.

drippin

What if it becomes quite apparent that he doesn't form a part of our best midfield though? That's a possibility now. That's more what I really mean. I'm not praying for that to happen... honestly :drool:

There is no indication he doesn't like him as a person and a player. I mean c'mon, he was rotated just now, when Arteta even said in an interview (I put it above) that he will rotate.

Xhaka has amazingly tough international matches, and Xhaka "haters" hope that this rotation shows he doesn't rate him anymore. You can't make it up. :rofl:

Even if Partey & Ceballos will play better, Xhaka will still play a lot of matches. I mean a lot.

Personally I don't care who will perform the best, as long as we march on.

One thing to note is that Ceballos is still a loan player, so won't be as easily the first choice this season.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Wanted to sign him to City, or was one of the players on his list.

Sure he wants bad players with feet to City and has only now got wiser about Xhaka while still complimenting him.

Or just lied about the City stuff like some here love to suggest about our club management.
Why do people use City’s recruitment policy or potential signings as a positive? How many times have we criticised City’s poor signings? Stones, Otamendi, Delph, Mendy, Ake, etc. Are these signings to be clamouring for? Let’s not forget the “almost” signings like Fred, Maguire and Xhaka. Hardly anything to brag about. Chances are if City signed Xhaka back in 2016, I doubt they’re winning 100 points. One thing that Pep values in his DM is comfort under pressure. You are not getting that with Granit Xhaka.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom