• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rob Holding: I'm Sorry He Didn't Cost £55 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
He is a decent player, I like him a lot. Because passing isn't his strongest attribute and Mikel seems to want a left footed player he is fighting for 5th choice with Mavropanos and Chambers. After next summer I think the 4 ahead of them will be,

? & Saliba for the right side
Gabriel & Mari for the left side

Who stays here probably depends on their ambition (lack of) and willingness to be a bit part player. Incidentally I would choose Holding over the other 2 if he is ok with a squad role.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
He is a decent player, I like him a lot. Because passing isn't his strongest attribute and Mikel seems to want a left footed player he is fighting for 5th choice with Mavropanos and Chambers. After next summer I think the 4 ahead of them will be,

? & Saliba for the right side
Gabriel & Mari for the left side

Who stays here probably depends on their ambition (lack of) and willingness to be a bit part player. Incidentally I would choose Holding over the other 2 if he is ok with a squad role.

How can you say Holding is 5th choice when he's our first choice CB right now, no way Mari or Saliba are starting over him :lol: who tf is ?, we don't need more CBs.

TornadoTed

Established Member
How can you say Holding is 5th choice when he's our first choice CB right now, no way Mari or Saliba are starting over him :lol: who tf is ?, we don't need more CBs.

I'm pretty certain that if Gabriel couldn't play or was rested and Mari was fit Mikel would play him on the left of defence over Holding.

I also think we will definitely go for another defender next summer after we lose Mustafi, Sokratis and Luiz. I think 2 of Chambers, Holding and Mavro leave also leaving us with 4 central defenders.

I maintain that whoever stays out of Holding, Chambers and Mavro will fight it out for backup right sided central defender/5th choice with Saliba. Maybe Holding will be backup and Saliba 5th choice if he improves with his feet.

BigPoppaPump

I'm pretty certain that if Gabriel couldn't play or was rested and Mari was fit Mikel would play him on the left of defence over Holding.

I also think we will definitely go for another defender next summer after we lose Mustafi, Sokratis and Luiz. I think 2 of Chambers, Holding and Mavro leave also leaving us with 4 central defenders.

I maintain that whoever stays out of Holding, Chambers and Mavro will fight it out for backup right sided central defender/5th choice with Saliba. Maybe Holding will be backup and Saliba 5th choice if he improves with his feet.

Mari's a bum no way he's starting over Holding, his transfer was a Kia/Raul scam. Our main 3 CB's are Luiz, Gabriel and Holding, the rest are surplus to requirements.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Prior to his injury I actually do think Mari was ahead of Holding, he is closer to what Arteta would want. Mustafi was definitely ahead of Rob too.

Holding may have played his way up the pecking order though, we will have to wait and see when they are all available.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Mari's a bum no way he's starting over Holding, his transfer was a Kia/Raul scam. Our main 3 CB's are Luiz, Gabriel and Holding, the rest are surplus to requirements.

Tim Vickery, one of the most respected authorities on South American football considered Mari the 2nd best defender on the continent. He may turn out to be a bum but surely an endorsement like that warrants giving him 20-30 games before judging him rather than the 2 he has played.

How is Saliba, a £30m teenager, considered one of the hottest prospects in World football surplus to requirements?

Of course I don't have a crystal ball but I would put money on a new signing, Gabriel, Saliba, Mari and one of Holding/Chambers/Mavro being our 5 senior defenders at the start of the 2021-2022 season. For what it is worth if I am right I hope it is Holding who stays, I think he is better than Chambers and Mavro.

Last edited:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Think Holding is a decent squad option. Not seeing him make silly errors and he is adequate with his head. Plus he is decent with his short passing. While we offload defenders over the next year he can stay for now.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Another player held back by injuries. Anytime he seems to be gaining momentum or form up steps an injury to put him back. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Same with Chambers.

Honestly it’s so frustrating because we sign these guys and 4-5 years later we still don’t know if they’ll be good enough because they’re constantly getting injured.

BigPoppaPump

Same with Chambers.

Honestly it’s so frustrating because we sign these guys and 4-5 years later we still don’t know if they’ll be good enough because they’re constantly getting injured.

Those ACL injuries probably mean they'll never be the same, although Bellerin seems fine from them but he was never particularly injury prone.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Those ACL injuries probably mean they'll never be the same, although Bellerin seems fine from them but he was never particularly injury prone.

Feels like a lottery with ACL injuries.

Sometimes they don’t lose a step but other times they’re barely the same player.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
no surprise really him and Chambers will never be at top clubs because they injury prone they can't go whole season without going injured for 1-2 months or even more.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Thought we'd be able to shift him to Leeds, Villa or Newcastle, but not sure any of those teams need him now. The likes of Everton, Wolves and Leicester have better. Feel like we've missed the opportunity. Holding might be here to stay :(

Chambers could always go back to Southampton, doubt he'd be interested in Fulham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom