• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It was a bad deal, but Özil held all the cards. No one could have guessed he will quit as a footballer and just leech the money.

Wenger said that player of Özil's caliber will cost 100 million (plus of course wages), so I'd guess that was part of the thinking process, along with not making Arsenal look like every star will leave.

In hindsight I'd hope that Özil being here might have helped attract Auba at the time, for some consolation.

The problem is that even Özil at his very best (2015) didn't warrant that contract. You only pay that sort of money to goalscorers that win matches on their own imo.

All round it was just a terrible bit of mismanagement from that charlatan Gazidis.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The Arsenal fan and objectivity in me believes , we gave him a contract with no gun on our heads.
You've said this multiple times, but we definitely had a gun to our heads.

- Our actual talisman, Sanchez was on his way out
- Fans, pundits and media in general all said it would be a travesty if we allowed this guy to leave - we were still wounded by Cesc and Nasri
- Özil has admitted he had offers to go elsewhere. He was also in great form in his final year of his contract

Pretty much couldn't have more guns to our heads if it was possible. We were absolutely held over a barrel and his new contract made sense at the time.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No it's not? It's literally an opinion.
He's been inconsistent. Even in his best season where he had 18 assists, he was crap in the second half of the season where he only had like 2 assists or something.

Özil has never been consistent here. Ever since he came here there have been lots of criticism aimed at him. If he was playing well consistently, he would have shut his detractors up. But he wasn't.

Okay. Give me your facts on when Özil was last consistent over a season

Last edited:

Finesse

Re-signing Özil on this contract has to be one of the worst decisions this club has made...Ever.

No wonder the guy pretty much gave up as a footballer after he signed it. £350k a week, huge loyalty bonus, I bet he got a sizeable signing on bonus too. Gazidis should hang his head in shame.

This guy is going to be leeching off us until the second his contract expires. No chance we get rid of him when he sees that £8m coming to him at the end of the season.

Can we all agree now that he's entitled to see out his contract and the ridiculous terms we gave him, but he's not interested in being a footballer, playing games, creating a legacy etc

Fisrt statement correct.

- Fans, pundits and media in general all said it would be a travesty if we allowed this guy to leave - we were still wounded by Cesc and Nasri
- Özil has admitted he had offers to go elsewhere. He was also in great form in his final year of his contract

Pretty much couldn't have more guns to our heads if it was possible. We were absolutely held over a barrel and his new contract made sense at the time.

If this is what you think , then believe the gun is still there. Be patient till June. Freedom is coming.

Finesse

But he has mentally checked out. We gave him that contract due to the form he showed in about 8 games prior to him signing that contract. But we never could have guessed that he would mentally retire.

Correct Oxeki. You should respect the contract and try to get the best out of him. If we are crying foul we are not getting return on investment , then how does complete isolation improve the situation.

Özil is no longer the Özil we knew. Rightly so and he is ageing. However is he that bad so much so we cannot get minutes from him in a League Cup game?

The mental retirement is in your own head. Pre covid he was not mentally retired . He just decided to retire post lockdown. At least give him games to show the fans post lockdown he is in a care home !

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Özil shouting "walla you are not a coach" to Don Emery and getting away with it will hurt forever

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

The mental retirement is in your own head. Pre covid he was not mentally retired . He just decided to retire post lockdown. At least give him games to show the fans post lockdown he is in a care home !
Of course he's mentally retired. His performance went to shít immediately he put pen to paper. He's never been the same since.

It's not like he was even playing well post covid. He was just doing the bare minimum and his fans were wetting themselves.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
He's been inconsistent. Even in his best season where he had 18 assists, he was crap in the second half of the season where he only had like 2 assists or something.

Özil has never been consistent here. Ever since he came here there have lots of criticism aimed at him. If he was playing consistently, he would have shut his detractors up. But he wasn't.

Okay. Give me your facts on when Özil was last consistent over a season
Cg0Pf2sUcAEisDO.jpg

It's a pointless discussion because I can say Özil played well against xyz, and somebody will say he didn't. Even in his best season, @Jury said he did nothing all game except for 1 or 2 good passes that ended up as assists. It's clear that people have different definitions of what constitutes a good game for him.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

That's a whole transfer Jesus

How much money did we give this guy :lol:
Is there another lump sum payment if he makes it to the end of his contract?!

Doubt it. Will have just been put in to keep him until after transfer window shuts

avalonhse

Sound all like excuses. The root cause should be bad management from the top. We should deal with these before they enter their final year of contract. I believe Wenger soft treatment hold some account for it.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

8 million bonus ..... to think there were posters lauding Ivan.
Well at least we know the club saves a heap of money in bonuses according to Ornstein anyways. That’s a believable reason as to why he was left out.

8 ****ing million , could have given it to Aouars brother

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

8 million bonus ..... to think there were posters lauding Ivan.
Well at least we know the club saves a heap of money in bonuses according to Ornstein anyways. That’s a believable reason as to why he was left out.

8 ****ing million , could have given it to Aouars brother

I'd want to know the quote from Ornstein about this? What kind of sums has he mentioned?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Players must look back when they're older and think 'Did I make the most of my abilities in my career?'

Just for comparison there was 1 year between us signing Özil and Giroud. I can't question that Özil is the more talented player, but look at what Giroud has done in his career. Didn't play in the top tier of French football till he was 24. Earned a move to England. Never been the most fashionable player but always worked his way back into the starting 11 when he was dropped....Now he's France's second top scorer ever and could quite possibly became their number 1 scorer, overtaking Henry's tally. No-one could ever question that Giroud has got absolutely everything out of his ( somewhat limited ) abilities. There will be nothing for him to look back on his career with regret when he's an old man. That's a career to be proud of.

If you could put Özil's natural abilities with the mindset, desire to improve and work ethic of a player like Giroud, you'd have one of the best players in the world.

Unfortunately I think Özil has always been happy to coast by on his natural abilities and do the bare minimum. I think when he looks back on his career he's really going to regret these last 2-3 years, if he really does care about his football beyond the financial aspect, at this point.

Last edited:

Paddy from Sweden

And he waited until the last six months to sign. So at that time he could've signed for free with another club. Plenty of guns to our head I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom