• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I'd want to know the quote from Ornstein about this? What kind of sums has he mentioned?
Here you go:

“The awkward situation between Arsenal and Mesut Özil came back into the spotlight last week when the German playmaker was left out of their squad for the Europa League group stages.

Following Mikel Arteta’s appointment as head coach, Özil started all 10 of the club’s Premier League games before football was suspended in March because of the COVID-19 outbreak. But from the restart in July until the end of the 2019-20 campaign, the 31-year-old did not play a single minute of competitive football and this season he has not featured in a match-day squad.

In an interview with The Athletic in August, Özil suggested that his decision to reject a 12.5 per cent pay cut during the shutdown might have been a factor contributing towards the lack of game time he has been afforded, although Arteta has always insisted team selection is based purely on merit.

With Özil seemingly surplus to requirements despite being the team’s highest-earning player, Arsenal have been keen to move him on. But the 2014 World Cup winner has repeatedly stated that he is available for action and will be staying until the end of his contract in June 2021.

Another element that may have influenced Arsenal’s desire to shift Özil in the summer transfer window is a loyalty bonus amounting to around £8 million that was paid to him at the end of September.

This stems from an arrangement negotiated with the former Real Madrid attacker when he ended speculation about his future by signing a new three-and-a-half-year deal in January 2018. At that point, Arsenal would likely have wanted Özil to stay until at least the end of his agreement and such a mechanism — which many players benefit from — would have rewarded his service.

The reality has worked out very differently and at great expense to Arsenal, although they are saving significant sums of money in appearance-related bonuses while Özil is not involved.

Many eyes will now focus on whether Özil will feature in Arteta’s Premier League squad, with lists scheduled to be announced on October 20 after the closure of the domestic transfer window.”

Paddy from Sweden

I'd want to know the quote from Ornstein about this? What kind of sums has he mentioned?
@Macho posted the Ornstein article earlier.
https://theathletic.co.uk/2130590/2020/10/12/ornstein-Özil-loyalty-bonus-romero-gambling/

The awkward situation between Arsenal and Mesut Özil came back into the spotlight last week when the German playmaker was left out of their squad for the Europa League group stages.

Following Mikel Arteta’s appointment as head coach, Özil started all 10 of the club’s Premier League games before football was suspended in March because of the COVID-19 outbreak. But from the restart in July until the end of the 2019-20 campaign, the 31-year-old did not play a single minute of competitive football and this season he has not featured in a match-day squad.

In an interview with The Athletic in August, Özil suggested that his decision to reject a 12.5 per cent pay cut during the shutdown might have been a factor contributing towards the lack of game time he has been afforded, although Arteta has always insisted team selection is based purely on merit.

With Özil seemingly surplus to requirements despite being the team’s highest-earning player, Arsenal have been keen to move him on. But the 2014 World Cup winner has repeatedly stated that he is available for action and will be staying until the end of his contract in June 2021.

Another element that may have influenced Arsenal’s desire to shift Özil in the summer transfer window is a loyalty bonus amounting to around £8 million that was paid to him at the end of September.

This stems from an arrangement negotiated with the former Real Madrid attacker when he ended speculation about his future by signing a new three-and-a-half-year deal in January 2018. At that point, Arsenal would likely have wanted Özil to stay until at least the end of his agreement and such a mechanism — which many players benefit from — would have rewarded his service.

The reality has worked out very differently and at great expense to Arsenal, although they are saving significant sums of money in appearance-related bonuses while Özil is not involved.

Many eyes will now focus on whether Özil will feature in Arteta’s Premier League squad, with lists scheduled to be announced on October 20 after the closure of the domestic transfer window.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Cg0Pf2sUcAEisDO.jpg

It's a pointless discussion because I can say Özil played well against xyz, and somebody will say he didn't. Even in his best season, @Jury said he did nothing all game except for 1 or 2 good passes that ended up as assists. It's clear that people have different definitions of what constitutes a good game for him.
This problem of terrible judgement pervades AM though. There's actually posters on here who kept saying Nacho was useless. And even more incredible, after 20 years of continuous top 4 on a budget, people saying any manager could do better than this with Arsenal! If it wasn't so crazy, it would be laughable.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He just mentioned today along with the bonus stuff. He said “heaps” :lol:. Jist of it is they save significant sums if he doesn’t play

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

@Macho posted the Ornstein article earlier.

Yeah but that's not what celestis said and what I asked.

"Well at least we know the club saves a heap of money in bonuses according to Ornstein anyways."

That 8 million loyalty bonus is already gone, so what are we saving for not playing him?

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Özil‘s behavior towards Arsenal has always been first and foremost about money. He and his agents etc. are acting with the single purpose of maximizing his earnings. Think he has zero loyalty to the club and its fans. What is going on now is solely about the loyalty bonus on his part. If he plays or not is totally besides the point for him.

I think the club should play hardball and make his professional life as miserable as possible. If possible I wouldn’t register him for any competitions and have him do cardio drills day in and day out. In between he can help with the training of the youth teams. Whatever is allowed within the bounds of his contract and English employment law I’d have the club do it. Would set a good example. Guy has been cuddled way too long by the club.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Özil‘s behavior towards Arsenal has always been first and foremost about money. He and his agents etc. are acting with the single purpose of maximizing his earnings. Think he has zero loyalty to the club and its fans. What is going on now is solely about the loyalty bonus on his part. If he plays or not is totally besides the point for him.

I think the club should play hardball and make his professional life as miserable as possible. If possible I wouldn’t register him for any competitions and have him do cardio drills day in and day out. In between he can help with the training of the youth teams. Whatever is allowed within the bounds of his contract and English employment law I’d have the club do it. Would set a good example. Guy has been cuddled way too long by the club.
That would be my dream job, regular cardio drills, coaching football to youngsters and getting £350K a month. :lol:

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

"Well at least we know the club saves a heap of money in bonuses according to Ornstein anyways."

That 8 million loyalty bonus is already gone, so what are we saving for not playing him?

He mentions it within the article at the end, but doesn’t give a figure...

Thankfully the club is doing what they can to limit the money paid out to this retiree. He downed his tools on the club the second the ink dried. 2nd highest paid player in the entire league and he put his feet up on the club when we actually needed him most to step up and help stop the club’s slide down the table each year yet there are people that actually support him for it, but they also still claim to be Arsenal fans too. Wild.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Appearance bonuses apparently. Read the article and see what you think.

Paddy from Sweden

You wanted to know the quote and what Ornstein said and it's in the article. He never mentioned any sums.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

What does Rex have to do with this:lol:. He’s never carried on like a pork chop about Ivan
I think he created a thread a few months ago to try to cast Ivan in a positive light. Although I can't seem to find it.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think he created a thread a few months ago to try to cast Ivan in a positive light. Although I can't seem to find it.

Ivan had a good structure set up with Burgess , Sven and Raul. They needed to be managed though.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

He mentions it within the article at the end, but doesn’t give a figure...

Thankfully the club is doing what they can to limit the money paid out to this retiree. He downed his tools on the club the second the ink dried. 2nd highest paid player in the entire league and he put his feet up on the club when we actually needed him most to step up and help stop the club’s slide down the table each year yet there are people that actually support him for it, but they also still claim to be Arsenal fans too. Wild.

Ah okay, thanks, missed that. Very good if we can save big amounts of money. Özil in the bin for a year, thanks.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Özil could run round the world for charity and donate his life savings to a children's hospital and people would still find some way to make out that he's a lazy, greedy tw@t.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Özil could run round the world for charity and donate his life savings to a children's hospital and people would still find some way to make out that he's a lazy, greedy tw@t.
Özil could be a lazy, greedy person. But by doing his PR stuff as usual, donating a tiny bit of his earnings out, he could pretend that he is a kind and generous person.

People will find some way to make out that he is the greatest footballer ever just because he has donated money to the charities.

This is probably the reason why people ignore his weaknesses on the pitch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom