• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: My Life and Lessons In Red & White

Ashybashy86

I am expecting this book to be a "boring account", more philosophical than tabloid type material.

Why, well simply because Wenger is class. A man who remains a gentlemen and would take the dirty laundry to his grave. Remind yourself of the nature of this man, and adjust accordingly.

Personally, I have pre-ordered the audiobook, as well as my physical copy. Looking forward to it.
Yeah, if you're after more of an exposé, I think 'Both Sides' by Nicklas Bendtner might be more 'interesting'.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Shouldn’t this be directed at club ownership? Wenger spent less than his rivals, lost all his top players, wasn’t able to sign top players etc, there were summers where we spent less than Sunderland, how is Wenger going to compete for the league with those working conditions?

The biggest mistake Wenger made was sticking with this club when we changed stadium, that held his career back and opened him to the above sort of critique. Thankfully the likes of Wenger are few and far between, someone like Arteta will leave ASAP, once a top club comes in.

How do you know it was a mistake? Maybe he wanted to be an Arsenal legend?

So you hope that our new manager who has brough hope, results and trophy leaves. Who would have guessed.

GDeep™

League is very weak
How do you know it was a mistake? Maybe he wanted to be an Arsenal legend?.
Wenger himself said staying at one club for so long is a regret/mistake.

What “legend” anyway? He gets blamed for everything, even today, he was abused and attacked for many years, planes were hired to put pressure on him, he even said he would’ve liked a job at Arsenal but nothing has ever been offered. If anything, most fans don’t want him back at the club. What sort of legend status is that?

GDeep™

League is very weak
Nope.

Wenger repeated many mistakes, spent quite a bit actually (this is still basically his squad). Dismantled the invincibles a bit too quickly, as not all were mega eager to leave.
Lied often, surrounded himself with questionable people, failed to adapt with modern football- I could be here all day with all the stuff he got wrong tbh.

His class, personality, wit, philosophies and just him in general left a much bigger impression on me rather than the footballing side.
People can say what they like but the decline was as much to do with him as the board - Wenger ran the place. Clear as day now as we’ve been running in circles since he’s left.
Even if you go along with what you’re saying, which I don’t, this still goes beyond the manager, one man. This is still on the people running the club to fix.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Nice reception but I can't be the only one confused why this event is going ahead with a crowd can I?
Socially distanced crowd:
EkJO3KmWoAU5i5h

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Wenger himself said staying at one club for so long is a regret/mistake.

What “legend” anyway? He gets blamed for everything, even today, he was abused and attacked for many years, planes were hired to put pressure on him, he even said he would’ve liked a job at Arsenal but nothing has ever been offered. If anything, most fans don’t want him back at the club. What sort of legend status is that?

Doesn't sound like what you say in this below article. And fans not wanting him back has nothing to do with his legend status.

If people wanted him out at that time, it also has nothing to do with his legend status. And you sound like you believe that a few noisy AM critics is the majority of the fan base.

He himself stated in this article that the criticism started when Leicester won in 2016. Two years is hardly how you paint it with "for many years" when he was 22 years at the club.

"The critics started in 2016, when we finished second in the league, because we didn’t win the championship."

"Were you ever approached to manage the English national team and, if so, why did you turn it down?
Gavin Stamp, Kingston upon Thames

Many times I was approached to coach the English national team. I turned it down for two reasons. Because I felt that, first of all, it’s better an English guy does it. And secondly, because I was happy where I was. I was at a club where I loved to do what I did.

Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona… so many clubs approached me. And today, I’m proud of how I led my life. I served this club through the delicate period to pay the stadium back. It was not only about winning the championship, but guiding the club through a very sensitive time and going completely to the end of it. And that’s what I tried to do. Afterwards people said: “You stayed too long.” Maybe, but [laughs] it’s not the way I felt!"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/11/Arsène-wenger-arsenal-manager-football

GDeep™

League is very weak
Doesn't sound like what you say in this below article. And fans not wanting him back has nothing to do with his legend status.

If people wanted him out at that time, it also has nothing to do with his legend status. And you sound like you believe that a few noisy AM critics is the majority of the fan base.

He himself stated in this article that the criticism started when Leicester won in 2016. Two years is hardly how you paint it with "for many years" when he was 22 years at the club.

"The critics started in 2016, when we finished second in the league, because we didn’t win the championship."

"Were you ever approached to manage the English national team and, if so, why did you turn it down?
Gavin Stamp, Kingston upon Thames

Many times I was approached to coach the English national team. I turned it down for two reasons. Because I felt that, first of all, it’s better an English guy does it. And secondly, because I was happy where I was. I was at a club where I loved to do what I did.

Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona… so many clubs approached me. And today, I’m proud of how I led my life. I served this club through the delicate period to pay the stadium back. It was not only about winning the championship, but guiding the club through a very sensitive time and going completely to the end of it. And that’s what I tried to do. Afterwards people said: “You stayed too long.” Maybe, but [laughs] it’s not the way I felt!"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/11/Arsène-wenger-arsenal-manager-football
That final quote is touching on what I’m saying, you sacrifice your career for the Arsenal project, turn down better jobs, easier jobs, stay right through the stadium change where there were difficulties, and at the end of it, people say “you stayed too long”.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I think the dream for Wenger was to one day move from manager and work for the club in some capacity, he more or less said it recently, but Arsenal have never offered him anything.

Looking from the outside, you say lining himself so closely with the Arsenal project in the end burnt Wenger. In one interview he called himself a prisoner of some sort, as his natural personality was that of a traveller and wanderer.

He could’ve spent 2/3 years at Real, 2/3 years at Juventus, managed Bayern, managed France, worked at PSG, all his squad would’ve been all star, his budgets unlimited etc. That’s a regret, he’s said as much - https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-becoming-a-prisoner-at-arsenal-a3889336.html

Top Bottom