• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Even in his best season, @Jury said he did nothing all game except for 1 or 2 good passes that ended up as assists.
I hold that same view. In that 2015/2016 season, he wasn't particularly playing well. 2/3 of his assists were set pieces or passes into non-threatening area that the attacker made good use of.
Let's not act like he was dominating games and taking games by the scruff of the neck.
Most of the games I watched in 2015/2016, he was basically average apart from the assists.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

i bet you couldnt even manage a pushcart selling lemonade. You guys are nuts. What do you gain by making his professional life miserable? Is this revenge for calling out the german FA racism?
Against my better judgement I will try to engage you in an argument. So here we go:

I think Özil is a large negative to the club right now (especially financially) and doesn’t contribute in any positive way on or off the pitch. I also do not think this will change. He therefore should be managed out quickly if possible. This is regardless if any of the lack of contribution is his fault. The club as a business organization needs to protect itself.

As he is rejecting offers to move away he needs more encouragement. He should be made as miserable as legally allowable to encourage him to want to address the situation in a positive way for the club and himself. All this should be done while managing negative reactions from the playing team itself as best the management can.

I do not know how doable all of this is given Arsenal’s situation and what the actual legal options are, but I would be in favor of this as a method to get him to leave.

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Ah! No wonder his fans all went and started throwing out the 'chance created' stats. Now that's a real metric, isn't it? :lol:
Yes, chances created is a stat. There is no way to measure "taking games by the scruff of the neck".

Genuine question: are you trolling me?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yes, chances created is a stat. There is no way to measure "taking games by the scruff of the neck".

Genuine question: are you trolling me?
Chance creation is a bullshit stat. There are better metric of assessing the performance of a creative player like xA.
Taking game by the scruff of neck is a immeasurable stat but it's observable by the eyes.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
https://www.arsenal-mania.com/forum...u-revoir-cher-ami.28770/page-163#post-4076495

You're conflating the two arguments. I'm never said it's all Giroud's fault that Özil didn't break the record, but his dire form was a contributing factor. My point was that while he didn't miss a nailed on sitter in every game, his general play dipped due to a lack of confidence and he stopped getting into as many goal scoring positions as the first half of the season.
My point was that, to say that Özil’s failure to maintain his assist rate throughout the season was even partly due to Giroud’s barren run would’ve been harsh at best, or just wrong. How many times does he miss from an Özil pass in all those clips? Aren’t they meant to be relying on each other goals and assists? It’s a two way thing. @blaze_of_glory touches on that further down when he chooses to defend Giroud and puts a good portion of blame on the rest of them. Oh but he obviously stops short of singling out our alleged chief creator though. He wouldn’t go that far :lol:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Fed up of this trolling on social media by Özil.

He's lucky he's playing in the generation of football that he is. In years gone past the likes of Adams and Keown would have had him up against a wall a long time ago and told him what's what with his attitude and how things were going to be. Özil would have crapped himself.

Last edited:

Divided_Pie

In regards to figuring out why Özil was left out of the EL, and, attempting to stick to the facts here, let's follow the money:

1) Özil started every game when Arteta took over, pre-COVID
2) Özil refused a pay cut, as did multiple other players
3) Özil was outed for refusing a pay cut, the other players weren't
4) The club wished to move him on during the transfer window
5) Özil insisted he was going to see out his contract to the end
6) Özil was due an $8M loyalty bonus in September
7) Özil receives appearance-based bonuses (£100K a game was mentioned?)
8) The owner came in last minute to fund Partey's £45M release cause in a single lump sum payment.

Regardless of what you think Özil's ability level, love of football, ambition, love for Arsenal, fitness level, value on the pitch, etc. - all of which are subjective and have been debated nauseam...

From a strictly financial perspective, Arsenal's financial incentives for leaving Özil out are clear: 1) try to get him to move on, to avoid paying the loyalty bonus, 2) minimize the financial hit by halting his appearance-based bonuses.

It's hard for me to believe Özil being left completely out has little or nothing to do with financial incentives for the club. I very much respect Arteta but at the end of the day he's an employee of the club.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Chance creation is a bullshit stat. There are better metric of assessing the performance of a creative player like xA.
Taking game by the scruff of neck is a immeasurable stat but it's observable by the eyes.
An immeasurable statistic isn’t a statistic period. I don’t disagree with your point that somethings might not be measurable, but then they are not stats.

We had a similar discussion on the Xhaka thread a while back and for somethings I do not even feel stats are needed when they are very self evident. Özil was nowhere to be seen in important games. We all saw them and he couldn’t have been less impactful if he had actively tried.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I’ve never even liked the argument of why players don’t or didn’t maintain their scoring/assisting or whatever until the final kick of the season. They come when they come. Lots of factors decide when **** happens.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Özil's problems started before Emery or Arteta, he wouldn't even play in away games up north and was benched in Arsène's last 10 games. All those 'illnesses' and 'back injuries' showed that Arsène knew how to handle the media better than Emery or Arteta.

Don't know how true that is, swear there was may more talk about him when he was ill or had a back injury, rather than just being left out constantly.

scytheavatar

Established Member
i bet you couldnt even manage a pushcart selling lemonade. You guys are nuts. What do you gain by making his professional life miserable? Is this revenge for calling out the german FA racism?

Send a clear message to our other overpaid players, especially Auba: perform to your salary or you will be treated the exact same way. No point in us wanting to get rid of Özil if we are just going to use his salary to overpay our other players.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Class. Now the team is full of beep test merchants.
lmao you sound like my friend who literally said the same thing today.

Feels like this press dominated meta of football is ruining things. Irked him that Mason Mount gets in the England squad ahead of Grealish for similar reasons.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Özil's problems started before Emery or Arteta, he wouldn't even play in away games up north and was benched in Arsène's last 10 games. All those 'illnesses' and 'back injuries' showed that Arsène knew how to handle the media better than Emery or Arteta.
He knew how to handle letting our alleged best player get away with doing **** all as we slipped out of relevance. Looking back, wtf was this club doing? All the discipline and respect was being pissed away. Thank **** Mikel came along and reinstalled the ground rules.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
He knew how to handle letting our alleged best player get away with doing **** all as we slipped out of relevance. Looking back, wtf was this club doing? All the discipline and respect was being pissed away. Thank **** Mikel came along and reinstalled the ground rules.

When Emery dropped him he got vilified, everyone took Özil's side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom