• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Fam, I'm not sure I could justify paying that for a single match if we were playing like our invincibles tbh. Ridiculous stuff imo. If they did it as a weekend pass or some **** like that, then MAYBE. But for one game, nah I'm not having that.
Agree with that, even on a high income you would steel feel bad paying for it. Think something around £5 would make more sense to me and more affordable to a wider population, that's about £20 a month and I'd definitely be happy with that

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
So a hypothetical question for you all:

If we lose the next 4 games considering we will be playing Leicester, ManU, Chelsea and Leeds, we'd have 9 points from 9 games. What do you do with Arteta?

Err...how about giving him one full season?

It’s a thought, I know it’s a bit of a radical view in this day and age.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Disagree in transfers but agree in most aspects of the playing side of things ;)

People will always be reactionary because some odd bods on here expect instant success. They want 3-0 wins against City and such. Not realising City have an exceptional set of players.
Tbf I was one of those that was expecting a win yesterday, think I even said 4-1 :lol:
Didn’t expect City to be so negative, they played well though & we didn’t really get going (credit to City for making it so).

Think there’s a lot of positives to take from that defeat. Its progress for sure, think we might have the best defensive side in the league y’know. Good base to build on, just need to find a midfield combination that clicks and results & performances will come our way. Im confident :Celebration:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Tbf I was one of those that was expecting a win yesterday, think I even said 4-1 :lol:
Didn’t expect City to be so negative, they played well though & we didn’t really get going (credit to City for making it so).

Think there’s a lot of positives to take from that defeat. Its progress for sure, think we might have the best defensive side in the league y’know. Good base to build on, just need to find a midfield combination that clicks and results & performances will come our way. Im confident :Celebration:

Exactly. United and Chelsea concede goals for fun against the absolutely dreadful teams. We are very solid defensively which will be huge to be consistent for the whole season.

Reactions: roz

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Backward sideway passing boring football all match, we have serious lack of a creative player and he still refuses to play Özil just to satisfy his rookie ego. What a horrible scrub of a manager.
its the board.. issue existed before Arteta. He's been Kaepernick'ed

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
I get shades of Wenger with Arteta. He is very stubborn. Once he makes his mind up about something it seems virtually impossible to change it.

I think he needs to play Auba upfront and then try and unlock our creativity. He inherited a team that couldn't defend, had no identity and couldn't create chances.

He's solved two out of three of those problems. I don't think William as a false nine is the answer. I've been underwhelmed by Willian so far. Not impressed. It's still early in his career and if he can solve the creativity problem, top 4 is achievable.
its good that he still has the guts and desire to experiment and innovate. early days

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Just think of us as the opposite of Liverpool. We are sorting the defence before the attack. Building solid foundations, so it might be a bit boring but if it gets us top 4 to push further who cares?

roz

Fake News Merchant
Exactly. United and Chelsea concede goals for fun against the absolutely dreadful teams. We are very solid defensively which will be huge to be consistent for the whole season.
We’ll take 6points of Leeds & the likes just watch. We’re quality defensively & still have yet to fit Partey in the team. We’re finishing in the top 4.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
I think we'll get top four. We are a little boring, but I'm hoping it's temporary. For years we've talked of needing a strong spine. He's gone out and got that. We have talked about getting the basics right, he's addressed all of this.

We might need patience here, but I think we are gonna beat a lot of teams this year. City at home really struggled with us in hindsight.

Finesse

Please can we stop this we are not letting in many goals as before as an excuse for our timid attack !

No one is denying we are now a better defensive unit and not leaking as before.

My issue is why are we working so hard to play from the back but not putting the same effort and diligence to play in the final third?

Can we honestly expect to play this way and finish in the CL spots?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We lost away at City, it happens. We arguably had the two best chances in the game, you have to take them in games like that.

We have improved defensively, but it seems our only way of creating chances is playing out from the back and beating the press. We have to improve when we have the ball and the other teams sits back.

As it seems the other teams will be inconsistent again, the season will be dertmined on our consistency against the "lesser sides".

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Do people really expect us to go to City and completely dominate the game? If one of Saka/Auba take their chances we'd have walked away with a (deserved) draw, fine margins.

Reactions: roz

Finesse

Do people really expect us to go to City and completely dominate the game? If one of Saka/Auba take their chances we'd have walked away with a (deserved) draw, fine margins.

Dominate ? Not really. But why not aspire. We do not need to dominate them. We payed them too much respect. Period. We leave the game thinking we were good enough defensively but did not work harder or set up to create more.

What if City scored all their chances too. ?

This taking chances is what happened against Westham and Sheffield United. However we cannot expect this every week. We must work as a team to create more. I don’t understand why saying this make it sound like we don’t appreciate the progress or process.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

I’ve not seen a single person say this.

From what I’m reading, the annoyance is with the mindset. City played in 3rd gear and have been leaking goals against teams with worse attacks than ours. This is not the same City of the past.

Yet at 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go we were still passing the ball sideways and backwards in our defensive third in fear of losing possession. We sacrificed a striking role for someone to man mark their DM.

It’s a strategy that works a treat, like you say, if we score first or take the 2 or 3 chances we create, but it is inherently more focused on limiting the opposition’s strengths than exploiting their weaknesses.

Seeing what teams with fewer attacking resources than us do to City shows it’s a mental thing. We’re overcompensating for past failures.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Dominate ? Not really. But why not aspire. We do not need to dominate them. We payed them too much respect. Period. We leave the game thinking we were good enough defensively but did not work harder or set up to create more.

This taking chances is what happened against Westham and Sheffield United. However we cannot expect this every week. We must work as a team to create more. I don’t understand why saying this make it sound like we don’t appreciate the progress or process.

I get what you're saying but it was a close game, both teams had chances to score, its fine margins in games like this, especially away from home.

I agree we need to be better with the ball, our only way to create at the minute is to successfully play our from the back by beating the press. That won't cut it against teams that just sit back.

I want to see Arteta go with a back 4 from now on and get an extra player in the final third. Gabriel/Partey will ensure the team remains solid defensively.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I’ve not seen a single person say this.

From what I’m reading, the annoyance is with the mindset. City played in 3rd gear and have been leaking goals against teams with worse attacks than ours. This is not the same City of the past.

Yet at 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go we were still passing the ball sideways and backwards in our defensive third in fear of losing possession. We sacrificed a striking role for someone to man mark their DM.

It’s a strategy that works a treat, like you say, if we score first or take the 2 or 3 chances we create, but it is inherently more focused on limiting the opposition’s strengths than exploiting their weaknesses.

Seeing what teams with fewer attacking resources than us do to City shows it’s a mental thing.

I agree its a mental thing, we do lack conviction in games like this. But it was quite an even game imo, on another day we walk away with a draw.

This is our ponly way of creating at the minute, which is my concern about the team. We cant do anything on the counter attack or when we have the ball and the other team has dropped into their shape. We need to start moving away form the 343.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I agree. My view is these games are a chance to make a statement. We know we can beat West Ham, Sheffield United and Fulham, but big results away from home are often the catalyst for a paradigm shift in confidence.

It currently feels like our approach is one of surviving as long as possible. I do think Partey will make a huge difference, but I’m losing faith in Arteta’s ideas for our forward line.

Ashybashy86

We were unlucky not to take a point, but with chances far and few between, we'll continue to struggle like this. Not always going to get away with it like against West Ham.

Hope to see a more attacking formation, and if we really have improved defensively by reverting to a back 4.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

I agree. My view is these games are a chance to make a statement. We know we can beat West Ham, Sheffield United and Fulham, but big results away from home are often the catalyst for a paradigm shift in confidence.

It currently feels like our approach is one of surviving as long as possible. I do think Partey will make a huge difference, but I’m losing faith in Arteta’s ideas for our forward line.

Feels like the forward 4/5 have been totally sacrificed for security. It's uninspiring and u just hope we can transition with Partey. Will we have to wait for a better CB next to Gabriel before we attack well?

Keplaz

I think he's still figuring this out, without compromising defence. And it's a difficult balance. I just don't know why Auba has to be wide left for example. I was happy with yesterday's line up when I first saw it.

I thought Auba upfront, Willian and Pepe wide. But this false nine stuff... Never been a fan. Especially when you have one of the best finishers in the game. Arteta seems to know what he's doing with everything else. So I'm hoping he can figure this out too.

Top Bottom