• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Manberg

Predator
Arteta plays a 3-4-3 with no creativity from midfield or in the forward line. He’s playing our world class pacey/poacher striker on the LW to accommodate Nketiah and Willian. That alone should raise some serious question marks.

When we attack we can’t put chances on a plate for Auba. So the ball comes to him in area’s where he’s got no options and has to come up with something himself. It’s kind of a miracle that he scored as much as he has in such a system. Willian can’t create for him. Pepe can’t either. I believe Saka and Tierney are out best creators in the final third.

Every game against decent opposition(nearly all PL teams) will be tight unless something changes.

The system’s actually designed to get the best out of Auba. The false 9 (whether it’s Willian or Laca), the underlapping runs from the lwb (Saka or amn) and the overlapping runs from the left centre back (Tierney) are designed to drag players out of position in order to make the space for Auba. Auba is the star player he is expected to make use of that space.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The problem last season was we had no one reliable to play on the left wing, he played Auba there to get more goals in the team.

We now have Willian and an established Saka.

Long term I'd like to see a proper 9 come in.

Aubameyang and Martinelli?

I’ve never liked strikers on the wing. It should be a skilled dribbler, with vision and pass execution to go with pace. If any club should be masters at that it should be one that groomed Henry (2006 version) and RVP (2011 version) into what they became.

Utopian vision but Bayern are the modern example of the profile of player you put on your wings when using a midfield double pivot - Coman, Douglas Costa, Gnabry and Sané is a pretty clear formula.

Fast, skilled dribblers who can finish.

MikeVinna

Established Member
The system’s actually designed to get the best out of Auba. The false 9 (whether it’s Willian or Laca), the underlapping runs from the lwb (Saka or amn) and the overlapping runs from the left centre back (Tierney) are designed to drag players out of position in order to make the space for Auba. Auba is the star player he is expected to make use of that space.

I understand that’s the idea. But most of the time Auba will be getting the ball out wide while we transition from defense to attack. You need Auba in the center to poach those goals. Having him there from the get-go simplifies things immensely and makes us transition faster. Then if we play it forward from a transition to Saka for example we already have Auba in the center waiting for a pass/cross.

Manberg

Predator

I’ve never liked strikers on the wing. It should be a skilled dribbler, with vision and pass execution to go with pace. If any club should be masters at that it should be one that groomed Henry (2006 version) and RVP (2011 version) into what they became.

Utopian vision but Bayern are the modern example of the profile of player you put on your wings when using a midfield double pivot - Coman, Douglas Costa, Gnabry and Sané is a pretty clear formula.

Liverpool use their strikers (and highest goalscorers) on the wings it won them a champions league and a premier league. They use the false 9 system with Firmino too. It’s not bewildering that Arteta wants to emulate that.

Manberg

Predator
I understand that’s the idea. But most of the time Auba will be getting the ball out wide while we transition from defense to attack. You need Auba in the center to poach those goals. Having him there from the get-go simplifies things immensely and makes us transition faster. Then if we play it forward from a transition to Saka for example we already have Auba in the center waiting for a pass/cross.

Arteta wants Auba to be involved in the build up play. If he can then cut inside from the left channel to get on the end of moves there’s no reason why he can’t be clinical from the left. It’s a bit similar to what Ronaldo does.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Liverpool use their strikers (and highest goalscorers) on the wings it won them a champions league and a premier league. They use the false 9 system with Firmino too. It’s not bewildering that Arteta wants to emulate that.
big difference between Mane and Auba

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Serious question. Do you think it’s working?

We rely on a high conversion rate (highest in the league), rather than generating chances (among the lowest), which is unsustainable at best.

Auba’s having fewer attempts, getting in fewer goalscoring positions and playing his football further away goal.

At the time of Arteta’s appointment, nobody had scored more goals than him in the league since his arrival, so he seemed to be doing ok.

Manberg

Predator
Serious question. Do you think it’s working?

We rely on a high conversion rate (highest in the league), rather than generating chances (among the lowest), which is unsustainable at best.

Auba’s having fewer attempts, getting in fewer goalscoring positions and playing his football further away goal.

At the time of Arteta’s appointment, nobody had scored more goals than him in the league since his arrival, so he seemed to be doing ok.

It worked last season. It’s not been working this season because Auba hasn’t been as good. He needs to step it up. He has a huge responsibility but that’s why he was given the contract. Arteta is building the team around Auba.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Salah and Mané aren’t anything like Auba. I’m wondering if you’ve followed Auba’s career since Lewa left Dortmund and he replaced him as their main striker?

Either side of him - players like Reus, Pulisic, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Dembele. His job was to get on the end of the chances they created, and he broke goalscoring records doing so.

Even here under Wenger and Emery, neither used him on the wing except in an emergency.

Manberg

Predator
Salah and Mané aren’t anything like Auba. I’m wondering if you’ve followed Auba’s career since Lewa left Dortmund and he replaced him as their main striker?

Either side of him - players like Reus, Pulisic, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Dembele. His job was to get on the end of the chances they created, and he broke goalscoring records doing so.

Even here under Wenger and Emery, neither used him on the wing except in an emergency.

Modern football has changed. Strikers in the premier league need to do a lot more than be a fox in the box. Auba was making the right runs whilst being involved in the build up last season, and getting on the end of chances. He needs to retrieve that form. I’m hoping that he will.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
It worked last season. It’s not been working this season because Auba hasn’t been as good. He needs to step it up. He has a huge responsibility but that’s why he was given the contract. Arteta is building the team around Auba.

I saw something on Twitter that said Auba’s xG in PL games under Arteta is 6.58 but the amount of goals he actually scored is 11. So it would point more towards him now simply playing to the norm rather than massively out performing himself. If you look at his xG for all his previous seasons he was mostly in line with his xG number or under it, not way over it. Auba had been doing wonders with the lack of good chances but he won’t be able to keep it up.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Seeing Everton and Sp**s with proper experienced title winning managers while we mess about with some hipster rookie worries me man.

He clearly can coach and manage players. It’s undeniable that we’re a lot more structured under him and players are able to execute his plan, but now he needs to evolve. He has been backed financially and spent €80m to strengthen the spine of the team so this negative overly cautious approach needs to stop.

MikeVinna

Established Member

Yeah I disagree with you. Auba’s always missed chances that’s not going to change. So creating less and less for him is going to backfire. It already has in my opinion. Expecting him to step up and create for himself is ludicrous. Sure he’ll curl them in from the edge of the box occasionally and tuck inside to score but he’s never going to do that consistently. He’s not that player.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

The claim that Auba is much better as a LW than a CF is so so stupid, it's purely based on a necessity.

You won't win them over though, no chance

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

It's why I always say I much preferred Alexis over Auba if we're talking LW. He's exactly what we need in that position.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

It's why I always say I much preferred Alexis over Auba if we're talking LW. He's exactly what we need in that position.

Alexis is the best player we've had since the Emirates opened, just beating Gabriel.

Top Bottom