• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rank the eras for centre backs?

Breezy

2010s

M. Hummels
T. Silva
D. Godin
G. Pique
S. Ramos
V. Van Dijk
V. Kompany
R. Varane

2000s

A. Nesta
F. Cannavaro
J. Terry
R. Ferdinand
R. Carvalho
C. Puyol
G. Chiellini
N. Vidic
S. Campbell
Lucio

90s

T. Adams
P. McGrath
L. Blanc
M. Desailly
F. Hierro
R. Ayala
J. Kohler
F. Couto
J. Stam
F. De Boer
R. Koeman
M. Sammer
Aldair

80s

F. Baresi
O. Ruggeri
G. Scirea
A. Costacurta
G. Bergomi
A. Hansen
C. Gentile
C. Ferrara
M. Belodedici
M. Tresor
K. Augenthaler

GDeep™

League is very weak
The 2010 era looks massively weak, Varane and Silva aside. Most on that list haven’t had consistency past 2/3 years, or had consistent campaigns in big tournaments.

Compared to say, Campbell, who was great at Sp**s, won trophies and was unbeaten at Arsenal, and then made team of the tournaments with England in World and European Cups. This is between something like 1998-2005.

Kompany had 2 good seasons at City and he’s some CB god for some. Van Dijk is 30 and had maybe 2 top seasons too.

Breezy

The 2010 era looks massively weak, Varane and Silva aside. Most on that list haven’t had consistency past 2/3 years, or had consistent campaigns in big tournaments.

Compared to say, Campbell, who was great at Sp**s, won trophies and was unbeaten at Arsenal, and then made team of the tournaments with England in World and European Cups. This is between something like 1998-2005.

Kompany had 2 good seasons at City and he’s some CB god for some. Van Dijk is 30 and had maybe 2 top seasons too.

You’re obviously not a fan of the 10s.

What about the rest?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Always count on you to big up Sol, who I feel gets underrated due to Terry and Ferdinand.

Mountain of a defender was Campbell.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

The 2000's overall is the best. Some absolute beast athletes who were also decent on the ball.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
I remember Ramos used to be a right back back then. He used to be my favourite right back at that time. And he became a centre back.

Vidic actually was still a beast & world class in 2010/2011. Ferdinand carried lot of injuries and Vidic pretty much carried our defense in that season. Scored important goals, won the league & reached final of CL. And Chiellini was also still world class in 2010 or above.

I still rated Ramos & Van Dijk above Silva, Godin, Hummels & Pique.

I think Ramos & Van Dijk are still comparable to prior 2000 centre backs list, while the rest in that 2010 list were way below imo. Varane, Godin & Pique are not world class. Hummels is closed to it but still not world class imo, he's probably on the same level as Bonucci. Silva spent his career in Farmers League and never really win CL & competitive trophies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Pretty harsh on Pique and Ramos who've won everything for club and country. Ramos is a beast and Pique compliments him so well. Like a 2010 version of Campbell and Toure or Vidic and Ferdindand.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Same, each of these comparisons I favour the 2000 era and I think a big part of it is growing up during and now having that nostalgia.

For strikers I would have gone for 2010's but for some reason OP doesn't count Ronaldo and Messi as them.

Top Bottom