• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

How much is an Özil performance worth?

350k?
400k?
500k?
8mil in loyalty fees?

I can’t think of many players on his salary and his performances over the years who would garner this much support. He is special in that regard.
I think that is at least partly because when he does perform well (which until 2018 was the vast bulk of the time but let's not go down that road) he is one of the most enjoyable players to watch of the past decade or so. The stuff he does is what a lot of people watch the sport for, or at least a primary aspect of it.

And his decline also coincided with us going from a very fun team to watch to a much more workmanlike style. We've lost something in that regard and while that's more to do with Wenger going than Özil himself the two are somewhat linked and I think people miss that flair. I know I do.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Players know when a manager has it in for a player and treating hI’m unfairly. But yeah let’s keep defending the manager when the team struggle to create anything. I’m looking forward to the arguments about willock and Nelson being better players. The worse we play the more arteta will be questioned and the more I see some people go to extremes to defend him
So are you saying you dont support the manager?

scytheavatar

Established Member
If this was a footballing decision, then Mesut must be downright awful in training.

The longer the team lacks creativity, the longer this decision will be questioned.

Is every player in the squad more valuable than Özil? I always wondered why the club didn't just give Özil enough rope to hang himself. That's what clubs normally do. Play a player who you think isn't good enough, let him stink the place out and then the fans won't ask for him to be in the team.

Özil's just been completely frozen out.

Özil has been meh under Arteta yet that didn't stop his stans from talking about how fantastic he was pre lockdown. He played well in one game (the Utd game) and was useless afterwards, the typical way he operates.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
:lol:

You really are in a good mood, aren't you? Cheer up lad! ;)
never in a good mood for crap from the bum squad .. but I am sure you know that by now.. still your oinky attempts to bait are endearing.

please remain seated in the xhaka thread ... your squad will be along soon to help you out.. thank you for your service to the club and forum.. you are truly illustrative of the 1% elite fanbase

Last edited:

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

If this was a footballing decision, then Mesut must be downright awful in training.

The longer the team lacks creativity, the longer this decision will be questioned.

Is every player in the squad more valuable than Özil? I always wondered why the club didn't just give Özil enough rope to hang himself. That's what clubs normally do. Play a player who you think isn't good enough, let him stink the place out and then the fans won't ask for him to be in the team.

Özil's just been completely frozen out.
Because it’s personal decision. What if he does well with minutes? How you gonna drop him? And who is there to play. Instead of using Özil we decided to bring in Willian sand pay him 200k while still paying Özil his wages. Honestly wtf has willlian even done to be seen as better than Özil? He went from starting every game to be frozen out and during that time he questioned the clubs pay cut proposal. But it’s all footballing reason

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Özil has been meh under Arteta yet that didn't stop his stans from talking about how fantastic he was pre lockdown. He played well in one game (the Utd game) and was useless afterwards, the typical way he operates.

No this isn’t accurate bro, he was great against Newcastle and OK in a few others - just check the newspaper reports/ratings.

Crucially he was poor in his final two appearances. Olympiakos and, despite his match winning assist at the death against West Ham, his overall contribution was poor. There is an old saying you’re only as good as your last game and throughout the lockdown period these games may have formed his lasting impression in the mind of the manager.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We should probably have a place/poll to discuss about the Özil situation, since it is now beyond a question of just him playing or not.

I feel this whole Özil v/s the board situation is further darkened by the huge contracts we have given to other almost useless players (Willian, Cedric).

Anyone who finds the poll useless can go diddle a whale.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Have never come across such a disruptive, divisive or destabilising player in all my years supporting Arsenal.

If he had put in a few more shifts in the ball park of the level displayed against Leicester 2018 (H) would have been be more than happy to forgive it all.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
I think the pendulum has swung the other way. Earlier it was about how we play the game and the friends we made along the way.

Now its a kroenke club itching to get into a non relegatable super league and its about being pragmatic and efficient.

Wenger, Coquelin, Theo, Iwobi, Sanchez, Özil, Giroud, Kos, Gibbs, Santi, Jack, Ramsey, Emi .. staff, gunnarasaurus, scouts etc. its been a determined clearout. Even great performance like Emi werent considered. Özil extended on a free and was in no mood to be sold so it got ugly. The racism and vitriol in german media and FA had anyway got his back up and Kroenke, a trump supporter has no time for niceties. Arteta just wanted a fresh slate. Ultimately the lack of management ability and the Raul/Emery ****show all round meant that the situation was managed in the worst way possible.

Özil gets to see out his contract. The club gets to ostensibly punish him. Arteta gets a clear situation. Its all fine.
Those who wanted to watch pretty football can console themselves that they had 22 yrs of it and give Arteta some time: The bigots and sadists can be happy that they DID IT and GOT Özil

Ultimately the situation was messed up so much by the time Arteta reached here that a clean break was the only way out. What we got was a mess.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I feel this all comes back to Arteta's 'Non-negotiables.'

There's no reason even to be talking about whether Özil is talented enough as a footballer to be in the 25 man squad, no-ones denying he is. But that's not the point.

Arteta set his stall out in his first press conference as to what he demanded from his players in terms of effort and commitment. Özil obviously hasn't been meeting the required standards for some time, hence he didn't make the squad and hasn't played for ages. It's not rocket science.

He's lacking in effort and /or commitment, not talent. And that sentence basically sums up the last 3 years of his career.
It may well be so, but then why doesn't Arteta spell it out? It would be a perfectly defensible view to hold and it would no longer affect his transfer value as we're clearly getting nothing for him, which might have been a reason for withholding it before. Instead he apologises for leaving him out of the squad?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Genuinely wonder if this will affect our standing with other players. Lot of former Gunners have come out in support of him now.

Players often tend to have an “us and them” mentality when it comes to clubs.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It may well be so, but then why doesn't Arteta spell it out? It would be a perfectly defensible view to hold and it would no longer affect his transfer value as we're clearly getting nothing for him, which might have been a reason for withholding it before. Instead he apologises for leaving him out of the squad?

Where has Arteta apologised for leaving him out of the squad? I haven't seen that.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Really not sure what Arteta should have said differently. He even put some of the blame on himself for not being able to change Özil, didn't he?

It is time for club and team to move on. No need to pick the bones of the sad carcass that is the end of Özil's career at Arsenal. Such periods are always less then optimal and the more said the less flattering it becomes for all involved.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli

Genuinely wonder if this will affect our standing with other players. Lot of former Gunners have come out in support of him now.

Players often tend to have an “us and them” mentality when it comes to clubs.
If in the end it turns out it's not football related (and that includes workrate and behavior as a professional on and around the pitch), but solely contract/activism related they have a point and this is complete injustice.

However that means Mikel is blatantly lying and reducing the teams chances for success on the pitch. I have no reason to believe that to be the case. He has been very transparant about his plans and decisions from day one. I only think he tries to remain as respectfully as possible which means he cannot state the exact actions that led to this situation.

Last edited:

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Really not sure what Arteta should have said differently. He even put some of the blame on himself for not being able to change Özil, didn't he?

It is time for club and team to move on. No need to pick the bones of the sad carcass that is the end of Özil's career at Arsenal. Such periods are always less then optimal and the more said the less flattering it becomes for all involved.
He should have said - if this is what he believes - "Mesut Özil is not fit/is not working hard enough on the training pitch/is a disruptive influence/is too slow."

The club cannot move on whilst the most expensive player (wages-wise) in its history is still with us but not even on the bench in meaningles fixtures without any adequate explanation. Well, without any explanation really.

If he has misbehaved or is surplus to requirements they should cancel his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom