• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL Group Stage: Rapid Vienna vs Arsenal | Thursday 22 October | 17.55 | BT Sport

Who Was Your Man Of The Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santi's Left Foot

No Longer Sleeping in Theo's bed
This is only because absence makes the heart grow fonder. Our best players are always the ones who haven’t played for a few months due to injury or who leave on a high note. It’s clockwork on here. It’s not a logical position, it’s an emotional one.

Bollocks, I said this before after the FA Cup win.

Emi was immense, you don't change a winning formula that overtly.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
This is a good take. We score the 2nd goal because of Bellerin's run. Elneny's pass was very good and credit to him, but he's not a creative genius that created something out of nothing. He made the pass because someone else made the run. For like two years now there's just not enough movement off the ball. Surely that's not about player quality, that's about coaching.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Bollocks, I said this before after the FA Cup win.

Emi was immense, you don't change a winning formula that overtly.

It's so funny because I think, recently, you only post about how bad Leno is and how great Emi is. I understand your disappointment with Emi leaving, it is unfortunate. Do you want us to just lament with you on this? I didn't want to see him go either. The way you are taking it out on Leno and the forum is unnecessary though.

Finesse

This is only because absence makes the heart grow fonder. Our best players are always the ones who haven’t played for a few months due to injury or who leave on a high note. It’s clockwork on here. It’s not a logical position, it’s an emotional one.

This is kicking the ball into the tall grass. I am for Leno being number 1. However Emi should still be here. Any injury to Leno and we are left scrambling with Runnarson and Macey. Emi was an opportunity for the club to make money and we went down that route. If they wanted him to stay as number 2 he would have.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
This is a good take. We score the 2nd goal because of Bellerin's run. Elneny's pass was very good and credit to him, but he's not a creative genius that created something out of nothing. He made the pass because someone else made the run. For like two years now there's just not enough movement off the ball. Surely that's not about player quality, that's about coaching.

I know I saw Cedric make a similar run early in the first half that was not spotted by Elneny. Would have been an easy forward pass too, I was really disappointed he did not spot it.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
This is kicking the ball into the tall grass. I am for Leno being number 1. However Emi should still be here. Any injury to Leno and we are left scrambling with Runnarson and Macey. Emi was an opportunity for the club to make money and we went down that route. If they wanted him to stay as number 2 he would have.

Not according to Martinez.

blaze_of_glory

Correct. Also why Özil declined so much in output. Less movement and less possession as a team.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

I think the movement thing is about player quality and the over coaching of players. Under Wenger, you'd have to break a players leg to get him to stop moving forward. They were quality players and Wenger worked hard to improve their main quality. Players we have now are robots selected Stat DNA. They defend first and played scared second.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
We could have sold Leno
Doubt many clubs would have sold Leno in favor of Martinez due to the uncertainty behind Emi's ability to keep up his performances.

Would have been a monumental risk because if Emi's form reverted, you're left with a backup level keeper as your starter, and a massive depreciation in his value since his form to end the season would be seen as a purple patch.

Ideally, in hindsight, we should have kept both and forced them to fight for the #1 spot, since Runarsson is apparently not even good enough for the EL. Plus a player tends to stay more focused and sharp when he has competition. But then we might not have gotten Partey.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Partey with a worldie.
Bellerin better than Cedric.
Leno with yet another bad performance this season.
Laca is neither fat but also fat.
Gabriel plays like a seasoned pro and has a good hairline for CB.
Kolasinac is terrible but Rex is okay with that because he has a great body.
Elneny is the signing of the summer.
Pepe had terrible first half but did well in the second half.
Saka got injured at the beginning of the game but played on, questions are if we should be playing our most important players in games like these.
Nketiah is not comfortable on the left.
David Luiz is good with children and scored goal in a crucial moment. KEEP.
Thank you friend!

Actually seems like a decent summary. :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We could have sold Leno
On paper it would have been extremely risky but even so, Arteta and his Gk coach evaluated both and decided that Leno was his no1.

So we’ll see how that one turns out.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member

Been saying this for the past couple of seasons. Our movement has been very poor and that's why we're so easy to press.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Always feel the "player needs competition" line to be a bit untrue...we had a great squad back in the day, but the likes of Henry and Vieira knew they were always playing regardless, not that Leno is that level...sometimes you just need one good player in a position, especially if you aren't loaded with cash to spend as a club

We wouldn't have bought one of Gabriel or Partey if we didn't sell Martinez, with our owner we need to sell to buy (to a degree) so the chance to make some money on one of Leno or Emi was the sensible one, as having 2 keepers of equal ability is unneeded...Martinez coming off some great form and not being injured, plus I think his contract was up in a year, was the easier sell.

Leno had a shocker tonight, but lets see how the season goes...if we get Champions League next season, selling him would be justified imo.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Always feel the "player needs competition" line to be a bit untrue...we had a great squad back in the day, but the likes of Henry and Vieira knew they were always playing regardless, not that Leno is that level...sometimes you just need one good player in a position, especially if you aren't loaded with cash to spend as a club

We wouldn't have bought one of Gabriel or Partey if we didn't sell Martinez, with our owner we need to sell to buy (to a degree) so the chance to make some money on one of Leno or Emi was the sensible one, as having 2 keepers of equal ability is unneeded...Martinez coming off some great form and not being injured, plus I think his contract was up in a year, was the easier sell.

Leno had a shocker tonight, but lets see how the season goes...if we get Champions League next season, selling him would be justified imo.
It's not about competition, it's about cover.

Henry and Vieira didn't play in the League Cup, Leno is being made to play every game this season so far. I'm not sure why Runarsson hasn't been trusted tonight or in the League Cup game but it doesn't augur well.

Last edited:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
And we bring back Emi for 40 mil, but we have to practice in the press with the "He has Arsenal DNA in him."
The players need to study the Cesc saga first and foremost.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Partey and Elneny were very good but then again their midfield was the worst I've seen us play since celtic and Rangers and gave them so much space.

Gabriel as always it seems was excellent.

Lacca unfortunately very poor tonight

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's not about competition, it's about cover.

Henry and Viera didn't play in the League Cup, Leno is being made to play every game this season so far. I'm not sure why Runarsson hasn't been trusted tonight or in the League Cup game but it doesn't augur well.

Think the main reason Leno is starting in the Europa and League Cup so far, is because Arteta is taking them semi seriously...he knows he will probably never win the league here, so the cups becomes more important...if we get drawn against a weaker team in the cup, he will play Runnarsson, Leicester and Liverpool would have been possible confidence sapping debuts for the lad.

With the Europa, Mikel probably thought Rapid away would be our hardest game, so he wanted a good start ( ironically leno nearly cost him that :lol: ) confident now we have the first 3 points in the bag, Runnarsson will start against Dundalk next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom