• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Also, two of Auba's 4 goals in the semi-final and final games came from the right where Pepe-Bellerin were heavily involved. Making use of our right side will massive help the left side too.
It’s boring and predictable and confusing because we do have capable players on both sides of the pitch.

I would guess that we do it on the left because our LCB Tierney is comfortable on the left wing but our RCB isn’t.

So hopefully switching to a back four means we’ll be able to attack from both sides. Pepe always attracts a double team as well, an overlap from Bellerin could result in us finding Auba for those bread and butter tap ins.

Moah

This is true. I get frustrated with the attackers when the attack isn't working but it is more than an individual issue (Pepe's constant tripping over his own feet aside). Problem is when the system isnt' working it causes the individuals to often play worse when they do eventually get into good positions because they've been starved of the ball and aren't really in full flow.
Yeah, but again, dribblers need confidence. He was not having this problem by the end of last season, was he? He had built confidence and was starting to perform. Now he's starting from scratch again.

I would be worried if he was choking in front of goal, but he's very efficient with his chances near the penalty box.

Moah

It’s boring and predictable and confusing because we do have capable players on both sides of the pitch.

I would guess that we do it on the left because our LCB Tierney is comfortable on the left wing but our RCB isn’t.

So hopefully switching to a back four means we’ll be able to attack from both sides. Pepe always attracts a double team as well, an overlap from Bellerin could result in us finding Auba for those bread and butter tap ins.
I had forgotten about that part of our play from last season. Other teams have now found out that our right side is just a smokescreen and nothing to worry about because its practically dejected by our tactics and are no longer doubling up on that side.

But you are right, that's what needs to happen for us to get the best from our attack. Going to a back will probably be the first thing Arteta will do now that Partey has come.

Its not really difficult to solve our attacking issues, tbh. If Arteta can shore up our defence with those poor players, he definitely can make our best players functional with out much difficulty.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Pep put two right backs on our left side, Cancelo and Walker, and had Mahrez there as well.

They completely cut off our supply to our left where the majority of our attack goes. Pep isn't dumb.

Auba's distanced covered is still the same and I think he still leads in the team, so the lack of effort stuff is nonsense.

Pep knew we only had one real threat on goal.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That’s the plan, doesn’t mean it works well.

I can show you average position maps if you want?

Do the position maps show that he’s getting more goalscoring opportunities than when he played centrally?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Kane is playing multiple roles. I won't be surprised to see him in a Rooney role dropping deeper come the end of his career. He is very versatile. Auba is more limited but deadly around the box. If we service him better (which we haven't done for a long while) he'll produce the goods.

Mikel is working towards that. Hopefully Partey strengthening the midfield will allow us to play higher up the pitch and give our forwards more time and options in the final third.

Inside it too. He’s very effective at converting crosses and improvised finishing (Last season vNewcastle, Everton, Olympiacos, Watford etc)

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
All of this is extra. Liverpool feed both sides of their attack equally, tbh most teams do. We need to drop this bias to the left side because we’re turning one of the best strikers in the world into a bum.

Yeah that's my point, it's why I was saying Bellerin and Pepe/Willian should do better. But I think as long as we play 3 at the back we'll struggle to attack effectively. It seems like it's either defend or attack with this team, either way we have to sacrifice one.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Özil distance covered, didn’t drop either though. Full speed distance covered btw.
Imagine trying to compare a guy who just singlehandedly won us a trophy, secured us vital funds and pledged his future to us with a lazy grifter who 3 managers in a row deemed unworthy of getting into the worst Arsenal side in decades. Even for you, that's cringeworthy.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We need to get this guy into goal scoring position. How many chances have we laid onto a plate for him? Genuinely wondering as in my memory he often has to do most of the work himself.

Not many, watching the City game Willian is making runs ahead of him instead of supplying him. System needs to be tweaked , to many games this season he is a bystander

Last edited:

Wryer

Auba is a finisher, plain and simple. He has to be at the end of the moves. And we are not making the most out of his best qualities now. The moment he starts to overthink is when things starts coming apart.

We need more directness, courage and creativity from central areas.

Please don't let the new contract syndrome happen again.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Just stop posting, you've clearly never watched a game of football if you think Ozils poor in possession
When is Özil not invisible in possession, other than on the second he make the assisting pass?

When we are overloaded in the midfield area, to sub-in Özil never helps anything. Only to sub-in Cazorla/Rosicky would help to gain us more possession.

And also, how would you explain this?

Please watch 16:06-16:12

Why is he making that pass? That passing option is so wrong (I know you would praise him, because it’s a “forward pass“. I wouldn’t, that is a terrible passing option). Ramsey is next to him, Sagna is next to him.

He should have made a short pass to Ramsey, run into the space in front of him, receive the ball back. And look for another combination play again (maybe with a few skill moves in between). That’s what I called involving in the build up. Not passing the ball forward and “leave” the play.

The thinking behind Özil is to play forward pass quickly, which is alright in counter attack. But if we want to play possession football, he should have done what I have mentioned. Most other attacking midfielders would have passes the ball around, because they wanted the ball as much as possible.

I’m sick of seeing Özil keep making these kind of “forward pass”, and hope one of them will end up well. You fans would praise him if one of these worked out, but in fact it is a complete waste of possession, which leads to a drastic decrease of chances that our team could have possibly created.

By the way, we were overloading on the right midfield area. Özil didn’t utilise the numerical advantage. Despite having numbers around him, he chose to make a “forward pass” to a marked player. If we lost the ball there (very likely as the overload is on the right midfield not the right forward area), the opponent can switch play to another side. And we are underloaded there.

I don’t understand why you would keep seeing passes like this, but not able to realise how shxt he is in the build up. If it is another player making the same pass, you would have jumped right into the pitch and beaten him up.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Wenger used to go for the playmaker on one wing, pacey winger on the other and someone who can score but also hold up in the striker role. Generally speaking. Auba and Pepe on the wings doesn't feel like it can create nearly enough.

Although he scores lots from wide (or did..) I would still rather see him up top with Saka on the left and I'm not sure why we don't see that happen.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Delighted he was able to score yesterday. Before that goal it was the longest he'd gone without scoring for us, which is a stat that shows just how consistent he's been. Expecting him to follow it up with a brace against Leicester, who were lucky af to get a draw against us last season at home.

blaze_of_glory

Delighted he was able to score yesterday. Before that goal it was the longest he'd gone without scoring for us, which is a stat that shows just how consistent he's been. Expecting him to follow it up with a brace against Leicester, who were lucky af to get a draw against us last season at home.
Came in here to post pretty much exactly this. Brace incoming.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I’ve been saying the exact same to all these Auba in the middle merchants.

It's all about who plays at 9. I don't think either of Eddie or Lacazette get the best out of Auba. Their vision is so limited. Their movement is limited, and what they do on the ball isn't enough.

There was one point where the ball was clipped over the top for Lacazette and as he retrieved it behind the defence. He was going away from goal. Instead of turning and facing up the opposition and driving into the box to get a shot off. He went back and we eventually had possession with out centre backs.

Martinelli would have turned, run at the defender in order to get a shot off. He may have been tackled. He may have run out of play. He may have lost the ball. But all of these those things are okay as it is literally in their box.

We don't dribble enough and we don't shoot enough. Lacazette was through on goal by himself. Only he can turn that situation into a 3v1 and still have the pass to Auba and not play it.

It's a simple lack of quality at the number 9 position. Martinelli can't come back soon enough.

Ripe Banana

Play him at 9 ffs.
yes he scored out wide but we need more from our wingers, something Auba can't provide. Put him where all he has to do is get into position and finish

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Play him up top and change the system so your centre forward doesn’t have to be ****ing Roberto Firmino on the ****ing ball.

He is so woeful on the ball and he is wasting a spot on the wing which can be taken by an actual winger (who are admittedly crap too).

Latest posts

Top Bottom