• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 943,280
Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

In my opinion, Auoar has question marks over his mentality. Sure he likes the bright lights and TV cameras in the CL, perhaps because they were underdogs they played with more freedom. But his stats don't suggest he's lit up Ligue 1, despite the lack of quality elsewhere (other than PSG ofc).

Szoboszlai turns up consistently in league matches and when the world is watching him. Auoar might enjoy the bright lights of the Emirates, but I can't see him fancying it on a cold night at Bramall Lane or a hostile atmosphere at Anfield. But I can see Szoboszlai relishing the challenge, rather than shrinking into the background.

Are you seriously comparing Austrian league and Ligue 1 as equals?

FYI, Salzburg has won the league 11/14 times in last 14 years and 3/14 has been second. Currently 7 times in a row.

They're the PSG of that league.

Last edited:

Let's play Aubamawang

Are you seriously comparing Austrian league and Ligue 1 as equals?

FYI, Salzburg has won the league 11/14 times in last 14 years and 3/14 has been second. Currently 7 times in a row.

They're the PSG of that league.
I didn't say the two leagues were equals, but as I pointed out, there isn't a huge amount of quality behind PSG. Yet Auoar hasn't produced many goals or assists outside of CL football, which was my entire point.

Whether Salzburg walk through that league or not, Szoboszlai is only 19/20 years old and is not just a number, he is the dominant creative force on their team. Is the league quality great? No. But he also produces against top teams in the CL just like Auoar.

So if you ask me, given the lack of quality opposition in BOTH leagues, I'll take the guy who has an impact in every game over the guy who only makes an impact when the cameras are on him.

tcahill

Maybe this is just a coping mechanism but I remember a few Lyon fans on Reddit saying outside of the CL and some big games his attitude isn't all that great.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Aouar is hugely talented, but I doubt very much he could have had the kind of instant impact that we needed. Would have expected a Pepe-like first season. Not many midfielders can walk into the Prem and start controlling midfields.

Did I want him? Yes. Would I be happy to sign Ceballos to a long term deal and either develop Saka or ESR in the attacking midfield role? Yes. Would I be happy with an alternative signing to bolster our midfield? YES.

I'm sure Aouar will have a quality career - just not here.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I didn't say the two leagues were equals, but as I pointed out, there isn't a huge amount of quality behind PSG. Yet Auoar hasn't produced many goals or assists outside of CL football, which was my entire point.

Whether Salzburg walk through that league or not, Szoboszlai is only 19/20 years old and is not just a number, he is the dominant creative force on their team. Is the league quality great? No. But he also produces against top teams in the CL just like Auoar.

So if you ask me, given the lack of quality opposition in BOTH leagues, I'll take the guy who has an impact in every game over the guy who only makes an impact when the cameras are on him.

But you said that Szoboszlai lights up the league while Aouar doesn't, while not mentioning anything about the level of their leagues.

Having a lot tougher opponents of course matters. And being clearly in the most dominant team in the league so you have the best team-mates.

I don't mind us getting either player of course, but would guess Szoloszlai goes to RB Leipzig next.

Malky

Established Member
Lyon are difficult to deal with, don't sell on the cheap, but Juve (the cheapest ****s in football ) are buying him? o_O

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Aouar is hugely talented, but I doubt very much he could have had the kind of instant impact that we needed. Would have expected a Pepe-like first season. Not many midfielders can walk into the Prem and start controlling midfields.

Tbf I feel like this myth has been debunked time and time again. Ancelotti was great speaking out about it with James, and he's the latest to debunk it.

Aouar might not come in and dominate, but that would just be because there are some doubts about his game and he's young, if he's as good as some think he is then he would come in and be a top player from the start because that's what top players do when they arrive to the premier despite this myth, if he's not quite as good as some think but still a good signing he'd do better in his first season than Pepe and improve us right away (as we don't have a midfielder like him in the squad).

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Tbf I feel like this myth has been debunked time and time again. Ancelotti was great speaking out about it with James, and he's the latest to debunk it.

Aouar might not come in and dominate, but that would just be because there are some doubts about his game and he's young, if he's as good as some think he is then he would come in and be a top player from the start because that's what top players do when they arrive to the premier despite this myth, if he's not quite as good as some think but still a good signing he'd do better in his first season than Pepe and improve us right away (as we don't have a midfielder like him in the squad).

You've made a point which I agree with by the way that we don't have a midfielder like Aouar. We didn't and still don't have a forward like Pepe.

I can't think of many young, Foreign midfielders who have an instant impact in this league.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I can't think of many young, Foreign midfielders who have an instant impact in this league.

Really? Payet, Mata, Bernardo, De Bruyne, Kanté, Lanzini (Silva is only really not included here because he came in under Mancini, lol), Buendía, surely a bunch else I'm forgetting...

If the list isn't that long it's only because if you filter it for young, there aren't that many young midfielders who are top class around in their early 20s. But the ones that are have had no problem adjusting. If you open up the filter to include all midfielders, well, all the really top quality ones had little issue showing their talent from the start.

Let's play Aubamawang

But you said that Szoboszlai lights up the league while Aouar doesn't, while not mentioning anything about the level of their leagues.

Having a lot tougher opponents of course matters. And being clearly in the most dominant team in the league so you have the best team-mates.

I don't mind us getting either player of course, but would guess Szoloszlai goes to RB Leipzig next.
It wasn't about comparing the two leagues, although Ligue 1 isn't exactly that strong either. Lyon should be regularly finishing 2nd to PSG when you consider their academy and squad. There are plenty of bad teams in that league that he doesn't dominate despite his ability. That says to me that he has similar consistency to Özil, and we do not need players who pick and choose which games they feel like being involved in.

My point was that Szoboszlai at 19yo was playing consistently no matter what team he was up against. It's a lot easier to be complacent in a game or league you're expected to win, but his effort and consistency are very impressive. And since he also translates this effort to the CL, it's fair to say that he always gives 100% no matter the opposition. That was the point I was making.

Let's play Aubamawang

Really? Payet, Mata, Bernardo, De Bruyne, Kanté, Lanzini (Silva is only really not included here because he came in under Mancini, lol), Buendía, surely a bunch else I'm forgetting...

If the list isn't that long it's only because if you filter it for young, there aren't that many young midfielders who are top class around in their early 20s. But the ones that are have had no problem adjusting. If you open up the filter to include all midfielders, well, all the really top quality ones had little issue showing their talent from the start.
The obvious one you missed there is Hazard. Could argue Hernandez consistently banged in goals too. But yes, you are absolutely right.

Edit: missed the midfielder part lol but Hazard did start on the wing.

Last edited:

daron christie

If we had to beg our owner to pay £45m to buy partey what makes you think a few months later we’re going to spend £60m on thus guy...clearly it was one or the other never both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom