• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

I’d argue he’s slightly bigger than the club.

He’s taken the piss for a couple years now, yet still manages to get sympathy somehow.

Undermines us at every opportunity and has a laundry list of offences that would see most players sent to reserves anyways - yet people would happily see us ignore them and play him.

I hold it down cause he is very popular so I try to focus on facts and figures - but personally, I think he’s a disgrace.
He is, most of the fans that defend him are not true Arsenal fans. You dont always agree with what the club does, but you stand by the club.

Kav

Established Member
What am I arguing? The following statement
"Therefore the omission of both Socratis and Özil is clearly a punitive action by Arteta and or the Club since they had space in the team to accommodate both players."

No we didn't have space as I pointed out. To include them would be at the expense of players he would prefer to play. Either because of commitment, ability, effort, suitability to.play style or longer term benefits.

Remember, we were crying out for a culture reset when Mikel took over. It's may not be enough to be in the 17 most talented foreign players in the squad. It's broader than that, and the club and fans will benefit in the mean time.

To make this out as punitive action is bullshit. Unless you mean punitive for not having the requisite skills and or attitude for his play style.
You seem to be buying and drinking the cool aid if you think it is for football reasons. I understand you believing Arteta but I don’t. There are other reasons and the omission of the aforementioned players are in my opinion punitive.

There is nothing to suggest that Mari can or has contributed more to Arsenal than Sokratis or Özil and his omission until next January would not have been detrimental. Especially in light of the fact that he has basically been absent since he got here in January. This fact alone makes your argument about space moot. Mari has been a no show. Omitting him would not have any negative effect on the team.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
You can kind of see where the divide lays between the two different sides on this thread.

On the pro Özil side, the only metric being used is talent. Everything else is irrelevant. That's why they can't compute why Özil isn't in the 25 man squad, it's mind boggling to them because he certainly is talented enough as a player.

On the anti Özil side, talent is only one of many factors being put into the equation. Ability to follow the managers instructions, commitment, effort, squad cohesion / stability, training levels, mentality etc.

My personal opinion is that Wenger was very soft with him and let him get away with pretty much doing as he wished because he adored him so much as a talent. You could kind of justify the special treatment when Özil was a match winner and game changer, which he was. He stopped being that quite some time ago though. I think Özil got too accustomed to that treatment and with the previous 2.5 managers ( If you include Freddie) he's basically thrown his toys out of the pram when he's not been kowtowed to or got the treatment he would have under Wenger.

Alarm bells should be ringing that Mesut has had issues with each manager post Wenger, to be honest.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not if the club is engaging in all manner of ****ery.
You think if he was playing well and putting in top performances weekly, the club would want him out?
If the club was engaging in ****ery, they won't have given him that big contract.

Last edited:

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Imho I think if we were competing for the title and had a better squad at the time, he would not have got as big a contract. We were desperate or should i say baldy was, not to lose Özil and Sanchez at the same time.

GunnerShy

You seem to be buying and drinking the cool aid if you think it is for football reasons. I understand you believing Arteta but I don’t. There are other reasons and the omission of the aforementioned players are in my opinion punitive.

There is nothing to suggest that Mari can or has contributed more to Arsenal than Sokratis or Özil and his omission until next January would not have been detrimental. Especially in light of the fact that he has basically been absent since he got here in January. This fact alone makes your argument about space moot. Mari has been a no show. Omitting him would not have any negative effect on the team.
Sokratis played how much under Arteta after the Covid restart? He doesn't fit his play style. Mari is a left footed CB which we know Arteta wants. He'll be backup for Gab. Once he plays a half he'll have shown himself more useful for arteta than Sokratis.

As for Özil... Sick of talking about him. If Arteta thought he'd make the side better he'd be playing him as he's obsessed with winning.

It's a footballing reason decision. But that's more complex than who can hit the best through ball.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
What's struck me as odd in this is that the same pundits who have called Özil lazy, soft and overpaid for 4 years now are lamenting his absence and acting like the club jettisoned prime Zidane for no reason. It's really very strange. How can you be in the media saying that there's no place for him and then when Arteta comes to that conclusion, respond like he's shot Lassie?

TakeChillPill

Established Member
My point was that he had registered 10 defenders 3 of which were injured and it is obvious we need some creative players in our set up. He could have omitted either Mari or Mustafi. He can register again in January which is just 2months away. He had options and he chose a particular path so he will have to own it either way. I am not sure what exactly you are arguing either. My point is very clear, he had a choice and he made it. what are you arguing?

He has chosen frugality over expansive football,that is the crux of my argument.

Kav and Kash sounds like comedy duo from the 90s sure you both aren't related?

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
the bum squad wants us to back some intangible undefined "club" blindly. Stans stans.

The club is the people of the club. The staff, the players and the fans. A trump supporter buys the club, clears out the long serving manager, staff, players, does shady deals with agents and takes the club to 8th place while playing turgid football that makes your eyes bleed,!and there are nincompoops posting crap about fatwas and corpses and calls for backing this blindly.

bum squad indeed

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

the bum squad wants us to back some intangible undefined "club" blindly. Stans stans.

The club is the people of the club. The staff, the players and the fans. A trump supporter buys the club, clears out the long serving manager, staff, players, does shady deals with agents and takes the club to 8th place while playing turgid football that makes your eyes bleed,!and there are nincompoops posting crap about fatwas and corpses and calls for backing this blindly.

bum squad indeed
The club will always be here, Stan will not.

Kav

Established Member
You think if he was playing well and putting in top performances weekly, the club would want him out?
If the club was engaging in ****ery, they won't have given him that big contract.

Once again you're wrong , you shouldn't be so presumptuous. On the topic of his contract it is my opinion that the contract he was given is an absolute joke. It literally has been a problem for the club ever since, because other players use it as a metric to make their own salary demands.

Kav and Kash sounds like comedy duo from the 90s sure you both aren't related?

Never met the guy, don't know anything about him other than on here.

Sokratis played how much under Arteta after the Covid restart? He doesn't fit his play style. Mari is a left footed CB which we know Arteta wants. He'll be backup for Gab. Once he plays a half he'll have shown himself more useful for arteta than Sokratis.

No way you can honestly say that Mari in 2 games has done more than Sokratis. :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom