• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Honest answers here.

Do you think Saka would've broken through had Arteta been managing from the beginning of the 19/20 season?

Because surprisingly he seems even more conservative than Emery when it comes to bias towards experienced players.

Then again perhaps I'm not giving Emery enough credit in that regard.
Emery wasn't afraid to play young players who he thought were consistent in his defence. Guendouzi often played around the same level most of the time, and so does Saka. Had Arteta been in his position in 2018/19, Saka definitely wouldn't have broken through the way he did under Emery because Arteta doesn't want to burden young players with responsibility for them to end up failing or making mistakes that cost the team. Thats the trade off with younger players, and you're either OK with that or you're not.

IMO, this isn't applicable to Saliba - a player who actually does have some modicum of top flight experience and a CV that includes very solid games against the better attacking teams in France. I understand Arteta's apprehension but in this case it's misplaced. As much as I can understand that Saliba has undergone some personal trauma, I still think he should have played for us by now.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
As I mentioned this whole saga is just weird, I know I'm not the head coach or a scout, but just watching the training videos under 23's and his games for St Etienne, no way is this guy that much worse than Mustafi, Holding or luiz, And don't give me that jive about his mother passing and him being 19, something really fishy about this, Maybe it might have more to do with Arteta's man management or lack of.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Emery wasn't afraid to play young players who he thought were consistent in his defence. Guendouzi often played around the same level most of the time, and so does Saka. Had Arteta been in his position in 2018/19, Saka definitely wouldn't have broken through the way he did under Emery because Arteta doesn't want to burden young players with responsibility for them to end up failing or making mistakes that cost the team. Thats the trade off with younger players, and you're either OK with that or you're not.

Yes that's a fair point, I still think we could probably take more risks with some young players.

For example, would Nelson look much worse than Willian? I'd argue probably not, and I think 30 minutes here and there wouldn't be so detrimental to his confidence (if he didn't perform well that is).

Frankly the whole Willian move p*sses me off. A waste of resources and I'll be upset if Nelson moves elsewhere and performs well because bringing Willian feels like we've essentially blocked his path.

IMO, this isn't applicable to Saliba - a player who actually does have some modicum of top flight experience and a CV that includes very solid games against the better attacking teams in France. I understand Arteta's apprehension but in this case it's misplaced. As much as I can understand that Saliba has undergone some personal trauma, I still think he should have played for us by now.

Yes, I mean his personal circumstances are certainly terrible though I'm not entirely sure how much this is weighing into Artera's decision.

Whilst I'm more than happy to wait, I'm extremely dubious about the fact that Saliba isn't even good enough to make the bench for our Europa league group stage campaign.

We'll see I guess.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Fofana looks quality so if Saliba is the bigger talent and was the better player at St.Etienne that's encouraging..

Just makes it more baffling he's not involved though.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Fofana looks quality so if Saliba is the bigger talent and was the better player at St.Etienne that's encouraging..

Just makes it more baffling he's not involved though.
Maybe it's mentality thing also Leicester afford to throw Fofana unlike us when expectations more higher we'll need to stay patient his time will come

Gunners1616

Fofana hasn't had a family tragedy...
That's his personal life and he is an adult. As long as he is training with the first team and ready to play he should be given a chance.

If he never plays we will never know how he can perform. And nobody is asking to make him a starter directly but he should have played in the Europa League or the Carabao cup at least.

And it's really a bad look to have an unfit Mustafi making the bench over him. He should have made his first appearance today.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Didn't Ornstein say he had a family bereavement? That might be holding him back but he plays U23 games so it seems he's in the right mind frame to play games.

Less pressure in reserve matches, guess Arteta doesn't want him making a mistake and possibly really crumbling mentally.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

We paid near 30m for him and mustafi getting in ahead. We waste so much money it’s a joke.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

It’s not easy to play for this club look at our senior players confidence. The longer he is hidden from the fanbase until he finds his feet the better. Arsenal fans are...special.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It’s not easy to play for this club look at our senior players confidence. The longer he is hidden from the fanbase until he finds his feet the better. Arsenal fans are...special.
I know there's a lot of online criticism, but empty stadiums with no crowd on your back and being able to hear the manager's instructions, seems a fairly ideal intro yo senior football at your new club. Saliba hardly speaks English so it would all over his head anyway

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Lol the fanbase will be confused when he’s not Varane straight away.
You guys act like you haven’t seen Lacazette retweet fat jokes about himself.

He will be ready when he’s ready, it’s for the best. The longer he’s out of the glare of our fanbase the better 100%.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You have to trust the club and manager.

Football is simple, if the manager thinks the player is up to it, they play. Clearly, Saliba is not regarded as up to it.

Gunners1616

Sounds like bullsh*t, everyone tryna make him seem fragile and broken.
Not only he is a tank physically and look more PL ready than half the squad but he also seems happy...

william-saliba-and-gabriel-of-arsenal-during-a-training-session-at-picture-id1277595919

william-saliba-and-gabriel-of-arsenal-during-a-training-session-at-picture-id1277595916

nicolas-pepe-william-saliba-and-gabriel-of-arsenal-during-a-training-picture-id1277594489

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Football is simple, if the manager thinks the player is up to it, they play. Clearly, Saliba is not regarded as up to it.
Lol but the rabid fanbase want someone new to chew and spit out.

He was taken out of the U23s we may see him soon tbh.

Impact

Established Member

I generally agree although it is hard to understand how Mustafi (with all his flaws) is ahead in the pecking order. Clearly will be released in the summer. What's the point giving him game time ahead of Saliba?

Manberg

Predator
I generally agree although it is hard to understand how Mustafi (with all his flaws) is ahead in the pecking order. Clearly will be released in the summer. What's the point giving him game time ahead of Saliba?

To protect him. Why throw the kid in when he’s not ready? You know what our fanbase is like. He’s guaranteed to make big mistakes, costing points and killing his confidence. There’s no easy opportunity either. Every game is difficult.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom