• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal v Leicester City | Sunday October 25 | KO: 19:15 GMT | Sky Sports Box Office (£14.95)

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
For starters, you can pick any away game against Stoke. I’m not going to go over every single game, but I’m telling you, we had creative midfields and often created next to nothing against low blocks. There is no one answer fits all. I’m not saying creative midfielders (which we don’t have) won’t help, but getting better forwards is even more fundamental.

You're talking about individual one off games. At first, I thought you meant that there was a time in Wenger's reign where we started to not create chances apropos to a club of our size with the talent pool available to us for an entire season.

Polar Bear

Its set in stone that Vardy scores against us, it happens every season and it does not matter what defenders are playing, he has played against lots of different Arsenal defenders, he always scores no matter what.

I don't believe Mustafi did anything wrong.. it looked like Gabriel was closest to Vardy when Vardy peeled off him... I feel people are just always wanting to blame Mustafi. Vardy is a great striker, we just have to face it, he scores all different types of goals.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Auba isn't world class...he's a quality striker don't get me wrong, but he has too many flaws to be considered world class.

He’s a world class goal scorer though? Where was this energy for other strikers through the years?

Didn’t hear people complain about Inzaghi or Michael Owen because they didn’t offer much beyond pure goal scoring.

Kysus

For starters, you can pick any away game against Stoke. I’m not going to go over every single game, but I’m telling you, we had creative midfields and often created next to nothing against low blocks. There is no one answer fits all. I’m not saying creative midfielders (which we don’t have) won’t help, but getting better forwards is even more fundamental.

Stoke - Arsenal 1-4 (2017)
Stoke - Arsenal 1-0(2017) We had 18 shots and 6 on target
Arsenal - Stoke 3-0(2018) 24 shots, 11 on target

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He’s a world class goal scorer though? Where was this energy for other strikers through the years?

Didn’t hear people complain about Inzaghi or Michael Owen because they didn’t offer much beyond pure goal scoring.

Those were the old "4-4-****ing-2" days, hard to compare eras, just what you do in your time...would be interesting to see how strikers like Inzaghi and Owen would do now...though Owen had a really good mix of pace and dribbling at his best so he might have maybe been an inverted winger these days...like I said, you can only be judged over your actual career...so it's difficult to compare certain players from that long ago.

Auba can't move with the ball at his feet...how can he be world class when you consider some of the other forwards these days?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Those were the old 4-4-2 days, hard to compare eras, just what you do in your time...would be interesting to see how strikers like Inzaghi and Owen would do now...though Owen had a really good mix of pace and dribbling at his best so he might have maybe been an inverted winger these days...like I said, you can only be judged over your actual career.

Auba can't move with the ball at his feet...how can he be world class when you consider some of the other forwards these days?

Putting it all on formations is a cop out for me. You see teams still lining up in 4-4-2 without the ball and Sp*rs still play a variant of it with Kane and Son.

The fact is we’ve moved him far away from the goal when he’s more of a sharp end striker. Unlike Sp*rs though there’s no support for him like Kane currently offers Son.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
That’s actually not Mustafi’s fault.

We got done by good old pace. Vardy is Gabriel’s man, Under is Xhaka’s.

Under does Xhaka for pace, it happens. Gabriel comes across and Mustafi is simply not fast enough. Under and Vardy are both very, very fast.

It was just a lightning counter attack with a quality pass from Tielemans and a quality ball from Under. Leno was actually preparing to rush Under so perhaps Gabriel could have covered Vardy but that could have easily led to a goal too.
Of course it isn't.

Kysus

. I remember home games against the likes of Sunderland where we couldn’t create a thing too.
I remember that game too which proves my point.
Under Wenger stuff like that was unheard of and a huge exception so you can still remember it years later.

We probably had more crazy comebacks(like turning a 2-0 away to Bolton with 10 men into a 2-3) than "struggling to create" games

Manberg

Predator
I remember that game too which proves my point.
Under Wenger stuff like that was unheard of and a huge exception so you can still remember it years later.

We probably had more crazy comebacks(like turning a 2-0 away to Bolton with 10 men into a 2-3) than "struggling to create" games

But my point is that it’s not about the manager it’s about personnel. We had Özil, Cazorla, Ramsey, Wilshere and Alexis in the same team yet struggled to create chances against Sunderland. Sure enough, those players will create chances most games, but those players were a lot better than what we have now. Do you think Wenger will be getting fluid attacking footballer from our current team? I doubt it. He finished 6th in his last season and he had better players in attack back then. I say this partly because I consider Pepe to be a flop, and we are missing someone like Ramsey.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Auba isn't world class...he's a quality striker don't get me wrong, but he has too many flaws to be considered world class.
Didn’t you call me a troll for saying this? Now it’s ok for you label him not world class.

zilfy

Agree he needs to go back up top though, it's my only real gripe against Mikel so far, too rigid in his striker choice, lets see if Pepe-Auba-Saka can be a thing for a run of games...least see if it can work as what we have now isn't anymore

Saka- auba- pepe makes so much sense. Why has it taken this long? I bought the whole auba-cant-hold-the-ball-up concept therefore needs to be on the wing, but neither can Laca!

Being an arsenal fan is more frustration than it's worth some days

Manberg

Predator
Arteta recently explained why he doesn’t play Auba in the middle. Respect the manager’s decision. You’re not all experts like him.

Kysus

But my point is that it’s not about the manager it’s about personnel. We had Özil, Cazorla, Ramsey, Wilshere and Alexis in the same team yet struggled to create chances against Sunderland. Sure enough, those players will create chances most games, but those players were a lot better than what we have now. Do you think Wenger will be getting fluid attacking footballer from our current team? I doubt it. He finished 6th in his last season and he had better players in attack back then. I say this partly because I consider Pepe to be a flop, and we are missing someone like Ramsey.

dude

Bendter, Giroud, Chamakh, Yaya Sanogo were mainstays in our attack, Eboue, Benayoun, Joel Campbell, Vela, Gervinho on the wing.
Frimpong, Denilson and Coquelin in CM.
Djourou, Senderos, Silvestre, Squillaci and CO as CB
Almunia in goal.
And we battered teams.
Wenger made some of those players look like world beaters.
Barca came in for Song ffs :D

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Auba is world class in terms of him as a striker. Scored 20+ in the league for years in a row now and got 30+ before too. Its hard to find that.

But yes in terms of footballing ability on the ball he is average. But in a high level sport like this you dont judge if someone is world class based off their overall game. Aubameyang is a specialty striker and he should be in the opponent penalty area being fed the ball by an attacking set up.

We are using him like Neymar ffs, expecting him to do it all coming off the left wing. Fact is he isn't anything like a winger. He is a top class poacher with pace.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
@Kysus This is a pointless debate. Wenger's last year here was atrocious and depressing. It was his last season and some of his second last was where we really started to decline and play confused slow football. I date it back to when we brought in Xhaka. I am not blaming him but he just wasnt suited to Wenger like Cazorla who was playing a similar role for us beforehand.

Wryer

These are the type of games we must win if we want to be any where near top 4, and to demonstrate real progress from the dark days of Emery. The home games vs. the Leicesters, Evertons, Wolves, Sp**s. No excuses.

It pains me that we are down to this level. But we just have to win those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom