• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Xhaka fanboys after the match: But Xhaka was not even responsible for the goal.
Now: But conceding goals is not a big deal in football :facepalm:

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Of course it is. But why are we in a position to lose a game by being scored on one time? You are going to great lengths to miss the point of this entire "conversation."
I am saying that scoring goals is important. But defending is also as important. 1-0 win is better than a 0-0 draw and a 0-0 draw is better than a 0-1 defeat. When did defending become less important than scoring goals?

blaze_of_glory

I am saying that scoring goals is important. But defending is also as important. 1-0 win is better than a 0-0 draw and a 0-0 draw is better than a 0-1 defeat. When did defending become less important than scoring goals?
Because if all you do is defend and not score you will end up on 38 points

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I need to bookmark some gems on here :lol:
Next time one of Xhaka fanboys complains about a player for conceding goals, I need to remind them defending is not as important.

blaze_of_glory

If you score and don't defend properly, you will still end up in 38 points.
You might end up with less! But if you don't score you cannot go beyond 1 point per game. You give yourself no chance to do any better.

Scoring is job 1. Defending so you don't concede more than you score is job 2. You can set out to play for a draw, but that is cowardly bs unless you know you are totally outmatched from kickoff. That is not the situation we faced yesterday.

edit: misread

RacingPhoton

Established Member
You might end up with less! But if you don't score you cannot go beyond 1 point per game. You give yourself no chance to do any better.

Scoring is job 1. Defending so you don't concede more than you score is job 2. You can set out to play for a draw, but that is cowardly bs unless you know you are totally outmatched from kickoff. That is not the situation we faced yesterday.

edit: misread
That sounds like over-simplification to me. If you concede a goal against a team, it also makes it difficult to score goals after that because the team that scored can just park the bus and defend for the rest of the game. There is no job 1/2 here. How many teams have come back to win/draw a game after conceding first? Again, not defending our forwards at all. They did a **** job. But that does not mean we should allow bad defending to go without criticism.

blaze_of_glory

That sounds like over-simplification to me. If you concede a goal against a team, it also makes it difficult to score goals after that because the team that scored can just park the bus and defend for the rest of the game. There is no job 1/2 here. How many teams have come back to win/draw a game after conceding first? Again, not defending our forwards at all. They did a **** job. But that does not mean we should allow bad defending to go without criticism.
Sure, of course you need to do both in order to actually have any success. Defending is incredibly important! The point though is that you cannot expect to defend perfectly at all times and haranguing an indivdidual defender (or midfielder) for one (collective) breakdown against a top striker is a bit much when your team hasn't scored at all for two league games.

If we aren't going to score then we leave the possibility of this outcome happening at any moment.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
What is the debate about this guy? He has a great passing range and is seen as a leader by the manager(s), but overall he isnt a very good player he's just decent.

He will be in and out of the team but shouldnt be part of our long term plans unless he forms a formiddable partnership with Partey in the midfield (not chilling at quarter back like Arteta asked him to do this game).

blaze_of_glory

This all reminds me a lot of Giroud. I find myself defending these guys not because I think they are outstanding talents, but because the amount of hate they get is so disproportional to what they deserve.

Both limited players with useful skill sets who are very good when their strengths are played to, always gave their all for the team and then get blamed for everything that goes wrong.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
What is the debate about this guy? He has a great passing range and is seen as a leader by the manager(s), but overall he isnt a very good player he's just decent.

He will be in and out of the team but shouldnt be part of our long term plans unless he forms a formiddable partnership with Partey in the midfield (not chilling at quarter back like Arteta asked him to do this game).
How many times has he displayed this recently? People need to stop harping on about this. He does it a few times every couple of games and even when he does it rarely puts us in a goal scoring position.

Manberg

Predator
How many times has he displayed this recently? People need to stop harping on about this. He does it a few times every couple of games and even when he does it rarely puts us in a goal scoring position.

He displays it in every game, even on Sunday. Doesn’t help that you don’t take notice. A gorgeous Xhaka pass put Bellerin in a great position.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Xhaka fanboys after the match: But Xhaka was not even responsible for the goal.
Now: But conceding goals is not a big deal in football :facepalm:
You're really overdoing it man, hence why you're calling people Xhaka fan boys. I feel like tomorrow you'll re-read these posts and see what we're saying.

Or not.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I just quoted the statement you made :lol: You said not scoring is definitely worse than conceding because maximum number of cleansheet is less than maximum goals scored by a team. How can those 2 stats be even compared when one of them is limited by maximum 1 per game?
0-1 is a defeat and 3-4 is also a defeat. Both have to be looked with equal scrutiny.
You literally have to score goals to win games. You don't have to keep clean sheets to win games.

Which one do you think is more important? If you had to choose between a defence that never concedes or an attack that always outscores the opposition what would you choose?

A clean sheet without a goal scored is only a draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom