• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
You literally have to score goals to win games. You don't have to keep clean sheets to win games.

Which one do you think is more important? If you had to choose between a defence that never concedes or an attack that always outscores the opposition what would you choose?

A clean sheet without a goal scored is only a draw.
What kind of logic is this? If you scored 1 goal, you need cleansheet to win the game. If you don't score, you need a cleansheet to draw the game. Both are important if you want to compete for the league.
Why are we even having this discussion in the Xhaka thread? Your argument for Xhaka is now to just stop giving importance to defense?

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
The moment this bum gets sold pretty much 80% of his cult will leave this forum to join their lord & savior as they were never arsenal fans to begin with

RacingPhoton

Established Member
How many times has he displayed this recently? People need to stop harping on about this. He does it a few times every couple of games and even when he does it rarely puts us in a goal scoring position.
This is proper catch 22. He needs acres of space to actually display that passing range he has. If he gets that space, it usually means the opponent defenders have settled in their positions already to handle our forwards' movement, at which time those passes he makes are of no use.

And then people wonder why our attack is so one dimensional.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
For the third post in a row I’m not blaming him? It’s the result of a disjointed press leaving massive gaps between the lines. It’s a massive tactical error to set up like that.
Lol bro, If you're not blaming Gabriel why I have I bothered writing all that. :lol:

Wait . . .
I mean it’s tight but Gabriel is probably to blame for the goal.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Exactly this. Been reading the last couple of pages and can't for the life of me understand people who fail to see that Xhaka messed this up.

Then I don't at all understand how we set up in possession, it feels like the only true central players are Laca, Partey and Gabriel in a line. Both Laca and Gabriel are flanked by players near to them though, while Thomas was left to cover the rest of the space pretty much alone.

Arteta should never have set up like this, but Xhaka has to do better. Those two are to blame and no one else, imho.
Top post.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Lol bro, If you're not blaming Gabriel why I have I bothered writing all that. :lol:

Wait . . .

Brooooooo why you gotta be so slippery man. It’s like going round in circles.

What about the point you could drive a tractor between our defense and midfield?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

What kind of logic is this? If you scored 1 goal, you need cleansheet to win the game. If you don't score, you need a cleansheet to draw the game. Both are important if you want to compete for the league.
Why are we even having this discussion in the Xhaka thread? Your argument for Xhaka is now to just stop giving importance to defense?
Nothing to do with Xhaka at this point, you’re just digging your heels in because you think this is a Xhaka defence. It’s not.

You’re just trying to argue that clean sheets are more important than scoring goals and it’s blowing my mind. Honestly.

I’ll repeat. You can’t win a football match without scoring.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Wait . . .
He’s saying if you have to nitpick you blame Gabriel. Ultimately it was good attacking play rather than anyone in particular being at fault.

The goal happened because we didn’t squeeze quickly enough, but even then we’re talking about Bayern/City/Pool level co-ordination in terms of team pressing. Leicester took advantage of us being slow to squeeze and executed perfectly.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Brooooooo why you gotta be so slippery man. It’s like going round in circles.

What about the point you could drive a tractor between our defense and midfield?
:lol: You blamed Gabriel, I went to the trouble of getting a freeze frame and constructed an argument showing I didn't think he was. You then said it was a tactical error and then denied you'd said Gabriel was to blame. And when I showed your post, you called me slippery.

It's very difficult to know if it's an Arteta tactical error or not because it's quite common for defenders to drop deep at times and you often see the manager screaming at them from the sidelines and waving them forward.

Reactions: Jae

blaze_of_glory

I didn't think pointing out that failing to score a goal means you're in a dangerous position would lead to this.

VAR and Lacazette are as much to blame for the result as anyone involved in trying to defend that play. Can't be hanging out at 0-0 in the 8oth minute with chances missed throughout the first half and then point at the defense for losing.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I didn't think pointing out that failing to score a goal means you're in a dangerous position would lead to this.

VAR and Lacazette are as much to blame for the result as anyone involved in trying to defend that play. Can't be hanging out at 0-0 in the 8oth minute with chances missed throughout the first half and then point at the defense for losing.
Yeah agree with this 100%.

Me blaming Xhaka and Arteta was only about conceding that goal, bot losing. Well, I guess I blame Arteta for the loss on a whole, since I can’t see any other pattern in attack than “get it wide and cross it”. When the main players behind our chance creation are the four defenders, something is very wrong.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

:lol: You blamed Gabriel, I went to the trouble of getting a freeze frame and constructed an argument showing I didn't think he was. You then said it was a tactical error and then denied you'd said Gabriel was to blame. And when I showed your post, you called me slippery.

It's very difficult to know if it's an Arteta tactical error or not because it's quite common for defenders to drop deep at times and you often see the manager screaming at them from the sidelines and waving them forward.

Yeah but in that post you basically agreed with me bro.

You said he had split second decision, I agreed. Tactically though why is there such a gap?

You literally won’t answer that point. It’s mental that the midfield line pushes up and the back four doesn’t move up.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Lee Dixon kinda blamed Gabriel for the goal. Said he shoulda closed down sooner or stood his ground. He would know I guess.

He didn’t even wanna talk about Xhaka :lol:

blaze_of_glory

Lee Dixon kinda blamed Gabriel for the goal. Said he shoulda closed down sooner or stood his ground. He would know I guess.

Did he mention Mustafi being so far behind the play? I think there were a lot of things that went wrong in those few seconds and Gabriel was had to make a quick choice with Xhaka being run past and Mustafi not having dropped back where Gab wanted him to go.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Did he mention Mustafi being so far behind the play? I think there were a lot of things that went wrong in those few seconds and Gabriel was had to make a quick choice with Xhaka being run past and Mustafi not having dropped back where Gab wanted him to go.
Mustafi was in such a bizarre position. That whole goal just felt like a team without anyone taking charge and organising

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Was this on the athletic podcast? I don’t have it anymore but I loved Lee offering a pros opinion on certain matters, very insightful.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Mustafi was in such a bizarre position. That whole goal just felt like a team without anyone taking charge and organising
They caught us while we were shuffling across, Mustafi hadn’t gotten across to Vardy by the time the pass was played.

It’s hard to blame him because you rarely see defenders sprinting across the pitch when the ball is passed across it’s usually a gentle co-ordinated jog across pitch. They just caught us out and I think we’re all nitpicking over a goal that was created by genuine quality. Amplified by the fact we don’t score goals like that. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom