• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Best Player of the Emirates Era

Who do you consider to be the best player post Highbury?

• Total voters

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Cesc was untouchable in 07/08. He was arguably the best midfielder in world that season.

After Eduardo and RVP went down with injuries, he pretty much carried us.

He was great till February then tailed off (as did the whole team) in 08. I loved Cesc but looking back at it, I cant say he was ever better than Gerrard or Lampard in the PL, let alone Xavi/Iniesta between 2006-2011.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Cesc character and mentality is underrated. He pretty much always turned up.

Alexis was also a beast though. Even when not on form, he was a nightmare t defenders with his pressing and his workrate. He was a one man pressing machine.

Not sure I agree with this. Cesc's form often dipped a lot in the last third of the seasons. Happened in 08/10/11 and the majority of his time at Barca. Although to be fair it wasn't just him at Arsenal, tbe whole team collapsed those seasons.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He was great till February then tailed off (as did the whole team) in 08. I loved Cesc but looking back at it, I cant say he was ever better than Gerrard or Lampard in the PL, let alone Xavi/Iniesta between 2006-2011.
He was still playing well even after February. Having no striker really killed us.

Gilberto was barely fit that season. Cesc basically had to do everything on his own.
It's Funny you brought up Gerrard. Gerrard was playing with one of the most lethal striker in the world that season and had Alonso who was one of the best cm in the World as partner in Midfield yet Cesc putting up better numbers than him.

Funny you mentioned lampard. Lampard had an expensively assembled team that had top players in every position. I'm certain lampard won't have improved us if you replace Cesc with him in our team.
At best what you'd get is probably a less injury prone and a slightly better version of Ramsey.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Between 2007 and 2010 Fabregas was undoubtedly the best midfielder in the league because what he did was threefold. He scored goals, he made goals but he also helped us control games. For me Lampard/Gerrard only ever did the first 2 most of the time. Fabregas was tasked with helping us control games, which we did quite a lot during that period as well as contribute in terms of production. Lampard always had the likes of Makelele, Essien, Ballack, Mikel or for Gerrard it was Alonso partnered with Mascherano. Neither had the task of being the primary controller or tempo setter in the same way Fabregas was here.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Cesc was the focal point of our most competitive period of the Emirates era in terms of us having title aspirations and making decent runs in the CL, so it's difficult not to go with him.

During his time with us, he was the best young midfielder in the world, and well on his way to being one of the greats of the game. Don't think there's a midfielder currently, at that age, who performed to the level Cesc did. The likes of Frenkie de Jong, who is considered one of the best young midfielders, would dream to reach the levels Cesc did with us.

Wenger handed him the reigns to the team too quickly, and we ended up relying upon him too much. There should have been a smoother transition period from the old guard to the new.

Mind you, RvP was my probably favorite player during that period, but his injury issues were so annoying (felt that if he was able to stay fit for a season, we could have sustained a title-challenge). Tbf, Cesc started to get crocked during his latter years with us as well.

Taking everything into consideration, favorite Emirate era player has to be Santi. One of the most underrated players of his time, probably because the quality of midfielders Spain had at the time. My runner-up would be Rosicky, fantastic player who could never stay fit.

Makavelii

I always bemoaned Cesc's lack of speed, strength, and all round softness - which wouldn't have been a big deal except we surrounded him with many just like him.

I voted Cesc, but I think I prefer prime Sanchez. Won games by himself that guy.

For his perceived lack of speed, strength and softness... he still did an awful lot of tackling and ball winning. It didn’t seem to hinder his game in any meaningful way as a midfielder.

Van Persie had by far the highest peak. He was undoubtedly the best center forward in the world between 2011-2012 for us.

I’d agree with that. It’s just too bad that his peak with us was so short lived.

Cesc and RVP were assholes in the end who forfeited all the goodwill they had earnt. Their desperation to leave and duplicity in the end was really pathetic. Loved them so much and in the end they behaved like cheap unprofessional grifters.

I feel bad for Cesc. I think he genuinely loved the club. But he had a childhood dream to play for Barcelona. He wanted to come back to Arsenal afterwards but couldn’t and I’m sure he regretted ever leaving.

I hated RVP for a few years after he left. But over time I kind of forgive him and respect how talented he was and how amazing some of his goals were.

Nasri I think is just a spineless little **** and I don’t think he’s ever redeemable. He didn’t even do that much for Arsenal.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Arteta was an average footballer. He played for Rangers, Everton and Arsenal.

He never got a look in in the national team not even for a meaningless friendly as part of the squad. He was average. Nothing more nothing less.

Now if you believe he was better than average tell me why he was.

Think you're being harsh on Arteta the player.

He was definitely a well above average PL player. He was very good at Everton and was one of the core members of their successful side.

He came to Arsenal and limited his game down to doing the basics and dirty work no-one else wanted to do. Before injuries set in later on he was one of the players we missed most when he was injured / unavailable. He provided a foundation for the flair players of that side to do their thing.

He limited his own personal game for the betterment of team. I always respected that about him. Good captain too.

The international stuff you can't hold against him considering he was vying up against some of the greatest players ever to play in his position. Playing for Everton during arguably his peak years wouldn't have helped matters either. We all know there is a Real / Barca bias to Spanish squad selections too.

You can't judge on clubs played for really anyway. PSG, Rangers, Everton, Arsenal. Is that any worse than Villareal, Malaga, Arsenal, Villareal? We all know how good Santi was.

Last edited:

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Think you're being harsh on Arteta the player.

He was definitely a well above average PL player. He was very good at Everton and was one of the core members of their successful side.

He came to Arsenal and limited his game down to doing the basics and dirty work no-one else wanted to do. Before injuries set in later on he was one of the players we missed most when he was injured / unavailable. He provided a foundation for the flair players of that side to do their thing.

He limited his own personal game for the betterment of team. I always respected that about him. Good captain too.

The international stuff you can't hold against him considering he was vying up against some of the greatest players ever to play in his position. Playing for Everton during arguably his peak years wouldn't have helped matters either. We all know there is a Real / Barca bias to Spanish squad selections too.
Where would he list on top centre midfielders in the last 20-25 years? (I pick that time frame as that's what I remember)

Probably not top 10. And we have had some stinkers.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Arteta was an average footballer. He played for Rangers, Everton and Arsenal.

He never got a look in in the national team not even for a meaningless friendly as part of the squad. He was average. Nothing more nothing less.

Now if you believe he was better than average tell me why he was.
Harsh, he had a decent career.

Spain was the best national team on the planet in his pomp and him not getting in is not an indictment on his ability. For big nations like that you need more than quality to get in and it’s one reason I’ve never been a fan of international football.

My beef with Mikel is with him the manager, not the player. Furthermore if I look deeper it’s not even him I’m really mad at, he’s ambitious and tries his best. Some of his values are actually spot on.

The owners who give him this power, the pundits that 100% blame the players (but pushed for Wenger to leave) - and some of the fans who let him get away with this and gloss over failures I am far more angry at tbh.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Where would he list on top centre midfielders in the last 20-25 years? (I pick that time frame as that's what I remember)

Probably not top 10. And we have had some stinkers.

Well he's obviously not in the top tier of your Vieira's, Gilberto's etc.

Nor your secondary tier with Petit / Cesc etc.

The very best Arsenal sides he'd be a solid squad player I'd say. Better option than someone like Edu I believe.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Well he's obviously not in the top tier of your Vieira's, Gilberto's etc.

Nor your secondary tier with Petit / Cesc etc.

The very best Arsenal sides he'd be a solid squad player I'd say. Better option than someone like Edu I believe.
Think the reason we are even talking about this is because with Arteta having this superior persona than everyone else and like he speaks as if he achieved the very top in the game. I questioned where that aura comes from.

This no way relates to the best players being best managers but he comes over extremely arrogant and superior despite having a very modest career both at team level and individual level.

I'm not saying he wasn't a decent player. But he wasn't stand out. He was never in the top 10 in the league in his position. That was my point.

Ps. Cesc was top Tier. Not second tier.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Think the reason we are even talking about this is because with Arteta having this superior persona than everyone else and like he speaks as if he achieved the very top in the game. I questioned where that aura comes from.

This no way relates to the best players being best managers but he comes over extremely arrogant and superior despite having a very modest career both at team level and individual level.

I'm not saying he wasn't a decent player. But he wasn't stand out. He was never in the top 10 in the league in his position. That was my point.

Ps. Cesc was top Tier. Not second tier.

The arrogance thing never really bothers me to be honest.

Most great managers weren't great footballers. Klopp, Fergie, Mourinho, Arsène all of them arrogant in their own ways and none stand out footballers. It's not a stick I'm really going to use to beat Arteta with.

From what I read Arteta expects the highest standard from himself and the people he works with. Maybe there's arrogance intertwined in it. I'd prefer that than someone appearing overawed and kind of just happy to have the job, like Emery appeared at times.

At Everton, playing more offensively he probably was top 10 in the league in his position for the majority of his spell to be fair.

DM's tend to go under the radar credit wise unless they're truly world class like Makelele, Busquets etc so his spell here was largely underrated I feel.

Agree to disagree on Cesc. Very good player though.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Vieira-Fabregas should be the midfield in any Arsène all time 11, tbh...what Cesc has done since he has gone to Chelsea has been very annoying, but performances/longevity means it should always be those 2.

Only Paddy should be in the top tier though, man was the GOAT...Gilberto should be in the tier down next to Fabregas and Petit.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Vieira-Fabregas should be the midfield in any Arsène all time 11, tbh...what Cesc has done since he has gone to Chelsea has been very annoying, but performances/longevity means it should always be those 2.

Only Paddy should be in the top tier though, man was the GOAT...Gilberto should be in the tier down next to Fabregas and Petit.

Got to disagree with you here bro.

Gilberto was a better player in his position than Cesc or Petit were in theirs in my view.

I am biased though as I absolutely adored Gilberto. Such an unsung hero for us.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

I think people underrated Cesc just because he made that move to Chelsea. The same thing happens with Van Persie and Hleb.

All three were exceptional players.

Hleb was such a Wenger player. I've never rated him as highly as some though.

For me there's the Pires tier.

Cazorla tier.

Hleb would be in the Nasri 3rd tier for me. Good player though.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I think people underrated Cesc just because he made that move to Chelsea. The same thing happens with Van Persie and Hleb.

All three were exceptional players.
Cesc was quality but people talk as if he was a legend. Vieira should undoubtedly be held in higher regard but it’s everyday Cesc. Must be an age thing I dunno.

I’m not just saying this out of sour grapes as well, Paddy tried to leave many times and hasn’t really associated himself with Arsenal after his player days until recently.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Got to disagree with you here bro.

Gilberto was a better player in his position than Cesc or Petit were in theirs in my view.

I am biased though as I absolutely adored Gilberto. Such an unsung hero for us.
It was honestly worse than unsung. He got a lot of stick from people who didn't understand his value to the team. It was embarrassing at times.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

It was honestly worse than unsung. He got a lot of stick from people who didn't understand his value to the team. It was embarrassing at times.
I remember this.

Wasn’t too shabby a captain either. I was admittedly critical of the way Wenger treated guys like Kolo and Gilberto in favour of Gallas and etc.

Top Bottom