• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Yeah and Emery had to deal with covid once he took over.

Fair playing field.
All I am saying is I dont think Arteta is good manager. Now time will tell. But I also dont believe in every manager deserves 2-3 years at a club. Like I said we will see end of the season. If he ends up 7-8 with the football not improving will you say give him another year? WE are entering November.....if the football dont improve soon. In 2 months time this thread will look different. Im not even saying sack him now....but why is no one questioning him on his style of play? The media is so bad at actually asking tactical questions

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I hate the comparisons to other managers, whether they be Emery, Klopp, whoever. I similarly hate comparisons with other clubs.

There will never be a 1:1, Liverpool did this so if we do the same then we will achieve the same results. How did that work out for them when they copied us in the 90s by bringing in a French manager and French players?

For every analogy you can use, a counterexample exists E.g. Guardiola didn't show much in his first season. Klopp was given time and look what he's done. Emery didn't show much in his first or second season. Rodgers was at Liverpool for years and didn't win the league or a trophy. Ironically if Liverpool had persisted with Rodgers they never would have got Klopp

Real Madrid sacked Mourinho and then Ancelotti, men who delivered a league title and a European Cup respectively. They then went on and won three more European Cups and a league title

Conversely United didn't sack Ferguson before he won his first FA Cup and he won 13 league titles for them

Stop comparing us to others and judge Arteta on what he's done so far. From where I'm sitting he's done alright.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
We need to hope Arteta learns to evaluate himself and stop being subborn on player selection and tactics.

We dont want him to play like Simeone if he cant get results.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
At the same time after 10 months of being in charge. Emery has clearly superior point/goal/chance and shot per game. We seen the stats already. Eventually it went bad for emery and yes there were signs. But Arteta team is showing bigger signs things will go bad as his team is struggling more. So what is this optimism based on? His defenders say give him time he willl get it right. But can’t show us why he will do better
Did Emery have half of his training time knocked out due to a pandemic? What a ridiculous statement.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I never said that about Emery. The fact is that Arteta has made the team more solid defensively without having to spend £200m like Klopp did on Allison/VVD/Fabinho. He's even won a trophy in that time, whereas Klopp lost both cup finals in his first season.

Are you sure? Not during that 15 match winning streak? I know I've read it several times, but perhaps it was all Arteta.

As for the rest, I suppose that depends on how one measures managerial success. If it were the FA cup for me, then I should never have called for Wenger's sacking. Not to mention that improving us defensively to the shambles that was the Emery Show back to Wenger levels is to me the minimum required of any manager.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We need to hope Arteta learns to evaluate himself and stop being subborn on player selection and tactics.

We dont want him to play like Simeone if he cant get results.

This is a key point. A test of his humility will be how well he can acknowledge and learn from his mistakes.

It’s not always an incremental building process, sometimes it’s a lateral shift, followed by a big result.

Talk of replacing him is ridiculous.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
One thing that I will give Arteta is that the players seem to believe in him and that has to count for something.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Fans getting on Arteta's back is beyond absurd. He saw how bat sh!t angry the fans got with an attacking flare manager.

He has the same problem Wenger had, a squad investment of no more than 5th in the league, so he's playing it super cautious and why wouldn't he.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
One thing that I will give Arteta is that the players seem to believe in him and that has to count for something.
That only lasts for some time, after a couple of poor results, they will turn against him.
I can already imagine Pepe having questions, Auba will start to ask who is gonna create some chances for him, and some other players can't catch any consistency with constant changes, which never ends up in happiness.

He really needs to stop copying Pep... we don't have the resources for that and it's not like Pep is doing great at City, and he already managed to block them from winning the CL with his stupidity

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
For all the talk of us sacking him or whatever, has anyone here ever considered the notion that Arteta might leave us?

The days of Wenger type loyalty are long gone. Arteta took a paycut to join us in his playing days, then after we paid him for a year to sit around the training room he went to become Guardiola's assistant because that was best for him.

The club should be putting a structure in place that any coach can seamlessly slot into. If we don't have a plan for when Arteta leaves or if he leaves in the near future then we're more short sighted than I thought.

Anyone that thinks Arteta won't entertain the thought of taking over City after Guardiola leaves or managing his boyhood club is fooling themselves.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

Those charlatans? I don't mean that only our lot are charlatans but all footballers are.

Footballers and managers have this weird symbiotic relationship where both parties know that the other can turn on them in an instant but in the present they need to show camaraderie and be on the same page in order to be successful.

The players will "believe" in Arteta the same way they believed in Emery and the same way Madrid players believe in every manager when they walk through the door. They'll believe until the wind blows the other direction and then they'll twist the knife in to secure their own future.

I don't particularly blame them tbh because that sword cuts both ways. When they're flying high, the manager will pick them for every game and twice on Sundays. But when their levels drop, well we all know the story.

Gunners1616

"I feel really bad for William Saliba," Arteta said. "Because we had so many central defenders, we decided to leave him out of the squad which was really hurtful for me to do.

"I was hoping that Pablo would be back in two weeks but he had a setback and then we don't have Pablo and we don't have William when he's fit and available to play.

"He's feeling a lot more confident around the place, his language is improving and he's starting to understand much better what we're doing physically.

"He's played a few games with the under-23s which he needed because he didn't play any football in the last seven or eight months. Things are progressively getting better and better."

What a load of lame excuses. He is speaking like he took the decision to exclude Saliba last year when it was just fews weeks ago. He clearly knew Mustafi, Mari and Chambers were all injured but he picked them all over Saliba who's fit and ready to play.

And now apparently he has to learn the langage and our "physicality", as if he never played pro football before. Gabriel played directly without speaking any english. He can speak portugese with Luiz but Saliba could also speak french with Luiz and even Arteta, juste like Pépé.

Some sorry *ss excuses and now he says he feel bad for him.

Breezy

Fans getting on Arteta's back is beyond absurd. He saw how bat sh!t angry the fans got with an attacking flare manager.

He has the same problem Wenger had, a squad investment of no more than 5th in the league, so he's playing it super cautious and why wouldn't he.

The problem is he’s also playing overly cautious against sides with a far lower squad investment than ours.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

That only lasts for some time, after a couple of poor results, they will turn against him.
I can already imagine Pepe having questions, Auba will start to ask who is gonna create some chances for him, and some other players can't catch any consistency with constant changes, which never ends up in happiness.

He really needs to stop copying Pep... we don't have the resources for that and it's not like Pep is doing great at City, and he already managed to block them from winning the CL with his stupidity
If you think the hoofball he's playing is copying Pep then it's not his stupidity at play. We could also do worse than the 2 highest point totals in PL history. Pep is overrated but let's not be ridiculous.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We could also do worse than the 2 highest point totals in PL history. Pep is overrated but let's not be ridiculous.

And Pep did it all on a shoestring budget, with a small group of players that everyone had written off before Guardiola got there...what a manager, always does it with an underdog team...amazing :drool:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Are you sure? Not during that 15 match winning streak? I know I've read it several times, but perhaps it was all Arteta.
I said that Klopp (and Pochettino for that matter) performed at a similar level to Emery in their first dozen or so matches, but people made a million excuses for them but refused to give Emery similar allowances. Those were examples to show that even the very best managers don't have it all their own way initially.
As for the rest, I suppose that depends on how one measures managerial success. If it were the FA cup for me, then I should never have called for Wenger's sacking. Not to mention that improving us defensively to the shambles that was the Emery Show back to Wenger levels is to me the minimum required of any manager.
Winning an FA Cup in those circumstances is very impressive, especially considering the mess he inherited. To win a trophy beating City and Chelsea along the way having only been in the job for months deserves credit.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

What a load of lame excuses. He is speaking like he took the decision to exclude Saliba last year when it was just fews weeks ago. He clearly knew Mustafi, Mari and Chambers were all injured but he picked them all over Saliba who's fit and ready to play.

And now apparently he has to learn the langage and our "physicality", as if he never played pro football before. Gabriel played directly without speaking any english. He can speak portugese with Luiz but Saliba could also speak french with Luiz and even Arteta, juste like Pépé.

Some sorry *ss excuses and now he says he feel bad for him.
Yeah dunno wtf he's talking about we have five goalkeepers in our Europa squad as reed pointed out.

I'd rather he shutup than give excuses that don't make sense.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Most of the goalkeepers are from the b list though right?

Just seems like he rates the other cb options higher currently.

edit:

yeah he pretty much confirms it here.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom