• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: The True Joerdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
MOTM. I don’t understand why people are so critical of him for not being Özil. He doesn’t have the final pass or vision yet but he’s a handful when he’s running at you, great 3rd man runs and quite skilful for his size. I would definitely start him against United.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Loved his performance today he a midfielder that can offer something different than the players we got even tho some of his decisions in final 3rd are questionable

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I want to see this:

Willock-Partey-Saka
Pepe-Auba-Nelson

Or the Partey-Willock double pivot with Nelson central and Saka on the LW, Pepe RW, Auba up top.

Would love to see it.

I prefer the 4231 as it allows Partey to break forward. In your 3 man midfield he has to hold.
Also prefer Nelson on the left. Saka is better at finding space.

Nelson really has worked hard. He looks so quick.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I prefer the 4231 as it allows Partey to break forward. In your 3 man midfield he has to hold.

Definitely. I want Nelson a lot closer to goal, feel he's more devastating when he gets to shoot. Saka is the better creator IMO so I could see them dovetailing really well if they're in the same side and close together.

I think Willock solves a LOT of problems down the right because he makes good runs into those areas in the half space that gives Pepe a lot more space and time to go 1v1. That said, I think in a pivot it can still work really well. I think any combination of these 6 players would be very interesting to see personally.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I want to see this:

Willock-Partey-Saka
Pepe-Auba-Nelson

Or the Partey-Willock double pivot with Nelson central and Saka on the LW, Pepe RW, Auba up top.

Would love to see it.

Thinking about it more. Your line up allows us to invert Tierney. Pepe needs an overlap, which means the left side needs to have players comfortable right on the touch line. Nelson and Saka in combo with Belerin Pepe and Willock on the other side is pretty balance. Partey can also break forward if a full back tucks in.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

This shone through. It bodes well that he’s been marginalised yet rather than sulk and moan, step up his work rate.

I’ve never understood the ‘nothing player’ comments about Willock.

He has an incredible ceiling if nurtured the right way.

I’ve never understood the ‘nothing player’ comments about Willock.

He has an incredible ceiling if nurtured the right way.

He has a tendency to get a heavy tunnel-vision close to the final third. I remember a few episodes in different games last season where he had a clear passing lane to Nelson and/or Saka, who were stood ready for the worlds easiest tap ins. And every time he chose to blast it from an impossible angle out wide or ran into a wall of defenders.

If he can rid himself of that, and pay attention to his surroundings in the final third, then i agree there could be a good player there. Its probably got more to do with him being young and feeling the need to prove himself rather than lacking the footballing brains. In time he'll probably outgrow it.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Thinking about it more. Your line up allows us to invert Tierney. Pepe needs an overlap, which means the left side needs to have players comfortable right on the touch line. Nelson and Saka in combo with Belerin Pepe and Willock on the other side is pretty balance. Partey can also break forward if a full back tucks in.
It's very much balanced. It does require Partey to hold at times but I think he can alternate with Willock as he's a pretty handy #6 when he wants to be. One things for sure - that's certainly not a flat midfield, there's a lot of movement and variety in it. However, I think we're going to continue seeing lots of Xhaka and Ceballos regardless. Not that either has been especially bad IMO, but their profile is one we need to start moving away from. Elneny has been my surprise package of the season though, so I'm wondering if keeping him is a good idea.

Tierney-Saka-Nelson connection on the left side and Bellerin-Willock-Pepe on the other though gives us a lot more balance IMO and with a strong spine of Gabriel-Partey-Auba through the middle to build with and Auba at the tip of the sword, it already looks more threatening IMO. Just need Willock to build on this performance more. I have strong doubts he and Nelson will touch the field vs United sadly, but I'm looking forward to the Molde game for sure just to see how much confidence both players take into that game.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He has a tendency to get a heavy tunnel-vision close to the final third. I remember a few episodes in different games last season where he had a clear passing lane to Nelson and/or Saka, who were stood ready for the worlds easiest tap ins. And every time he chose to blast it from an impossible angle out wide or ran into a wall of defenders.

If he can rid himself of that, and pay attention to his surroundings in the final third, then i agree there could be a good player there. Its probably got more to do with him being young and feeling the need to prove himself rather than lacking the footballing brains. In time he'll probably outgrow it.

I think that has a lot to do with his restricted cameo roles in utility positions. He’s not a natural attacking player imo, but rather a player with athleticism and guile that allows him to get forward.

I feel that, like Reiss, if he knew he had the backing of the coach to play for 90 minutes in his best position, he’d steadily improve his decision making in the final third, as he wouldn’t feel he has to make a statement.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

What I gauged from his performance is that this team needs a top class version of him for right now.

I still think he’ll be more of a late bloomer though and will have to leave the club but so hope he proves me wrong.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Definitely. I want Nelson a lot closer to goal, feel he's more devastating when he gets to shoot. Saka is the better creator IMO so I could see them dovetailing really well if they're in the same side and close together.

I think Willock solves a LOT of problems down the right because he makes good runs into those areas in the half space that gives Pepe a lot more space and time to go 1v1. That said, I think in a pivot it can still work really well. I think any combination of these 6 players would be very interesting to see personally.
I like having Willock on the pitch for this reason. He’s one of the few midfielders we have that has can play well and have a positive influence on the right hand side. Saka, Cellabos, Xhaka, ESR all prefer the left but Willock, Partey and Elneny can do it on the right. That will definitely help us in terms of balancing the sides and hopefully move on from the left hand bias we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom