• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FM 21

The changes look bad for those who hate interacting with players and media. The sole focus seems to be on that.

Didn't buy last year's FM, decided to buy diamond chess.com membership and pro strava instead.

I'm still waiting for potential ability in FM to be fluid instead of a set number. I feel like there should be a way to influence the potential ability of upcoming youngsters. That you can scout a talent with interesting mental abilities but he doesn't have high potential ability until you put him in the right environment.

Now, the potential ability always has a maximum number in the range of 0-200. For some youngsters, its -1 - -9 or -10 can't remember, which makes it somehow fluid but as soon as the game starts the potential ability is set in a stone. Boring.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

The changes look bad for those who hate interacting with players and media. The sole focus seems to be on that.

Didn't buy last year's FM, decided to buy diamond chess.com membership and pro strava instead.

I'm still waiting for potential ability in FM to be fluid instead of a set number. I feel like there should be a way to influence the potential ability of upcoming youngsters. That you can scout a talent with interesting mental abilities but he doesn't have high potential ability until you put him in the right environment.

Now, the potential ability always has a maximum number in the range of 0-200. For some youngsters, its -1 - -9 or -10 can't remember, which makes it somehow fluid but as soon as the game starts the potential ability is set in a stone. Boring.

Yes I don't like how prescriptive things are either, in every save the high potential youngsters will always be incredible. There's no random fortune, amount of game time or confidence in a player that can change a "lesser" players success. It's too rigid at the moment.

Certain players should naturally fit certain styles but it feels like it's set in stone that if a player has certain attributes level they'll always do well and if they don't they'll be useless. There's no balance.

Maybe our expectations are too high for AI. But this is a game that really relies on continuity of gameplay season by season so there really should be more done.

In a way I feel I've mastered how terrible FM is at the moment, taking advantage of some flaws in the game (not editor) to drive Kings Lynn from Vanarama North in 2020 into a Premier League team in 2026.

wow.png

Last edited:

Yes I don't like how prescriptive things are either, in every save the high potential youngsters will always be incredible. There's no random fortune, amount of game time or confidence in a player that can change a "lesser" players success. It's too rigid at the moment.

Certain players should naturally fit certain styles but it feels like it's set in stone that if a player has certain attributes level they'll always do well and if they don't they'll be useless. There's no balance.

Maybe our expectations are too high for AI. But this is a game that really relies on continuity of gameplay season by season so there really should be more done.

In a way I feel I've mastered how terrible FM is at the moment, taking advantage of some flaws in the game (not editor) to drive Kings Lynn from Vanarama North in 2020 into a Premier League team in 2026.

wow.png

Yeah the focus so too much on interactions which are so boring, I don't want to spend the majority of the time when I'm playing a computer game talking to the computer. BORING.

There is a need for more fluidity in how players are developed. I would like to see them install a system where you as a manager get to coach or manager points when you reach a milestone or do something amazing like win difficult away game or sign a player from a top team. These manager or coach points you could then use to make PA of a player higher or even CA ability, maybe a better name for the points would be inspiration points. That would instantly make you more involved in the development of the players at your team. It would also make Carling Cup more important, it's a cup that could give you points.

I would also like to add badges to the game, I see it as you could maybe have 3 badges that could define the identity of your team. Like for example, one badge could be a set-piece badge where if you manage to collect 2 set-piece coaches with over 18 in set-pieces management, and then find a player with over 18 in throw-in and 2 players with over 16 in free-kick and/or corners then you would get set-piece badge that would give your center backs +2 in heading and jumping when either defending or attacking set-pieces and your throw-in taker can take Tony Pulis Stoke kind of throw-ins. Then there could be a bunch of different badges like marathon badge, technical badge, tiki-taka badge...

I've been waiting for some creativity in FM21 like that but the only thing they have to offer every year is better media interactions. Boring.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Civ 6 has had my arse since the past six months. I'll skip FM this year probably.

Wasn't there a bug in FM18(?) where they just put a -1 potential on a lot of Greek kids?

you had weird teams with random players shooting up in the EL/CL. Loved that so much!

Manberg

Predator

It’s always been like that. How would you suggest they do it? Some players have a higher ceiling than others. The set potential ability is the result of scouting and analysis in real life. They don’t get everything right but then again, no one can.

It’s always been like that. How would you suggest they do it? Some players have a higher ceiling than others. The set potential ability is the result of scouting and analysis in real life. They don’t get everything right but then again, no one can.

There are a couple of auggestions in my posts in this thread. Read them over and tell me what you think about them!

Feels like cheating. Why do you get to make a player’s ability go up through the click of a button and not by training or experience?

I'm not talking about the ability to go up but the potential ability. I see it as it could be inspiration points you collect when you manage to get some milestone or the player himself. It would open up for influence to be more valid on players.

It will make the PA be more fluid, it means that even the bad players could become good if you as manager manage to influence them well enough. It would make your interaction as a manager with the player more valid also.

Now you always know what academy takes you should throw out and what you need to bet on. Boring.

Even if I haven't a system set in a stone I trust the staff who work on FM games to come up with something.

Manberg

Predator
I'm not talking about the ability to go up but the potential ability. I see it as it could be inspiration points you collect when you manage to get some milestone or the player himself. It would open up for influence to be more valid on players.

It will make the PA be more fluid, it means that even the bad players could become good if you as manager manage to influence them well enough. It would make your interaction as a manager with the player more valid also.

Now you always know what academy takes you should throw out and what you need to bet on. Boring.

Even if I haven't a system set in a stone I trust the staff who work on FM games to come up with something.

Bad players who are destined to be bad should never become good, that’s the point. The game allows all players to improve or regress but only to a certain point. Every player has a ceiling which decides how good he can become.

Bad players who are destined to be bad should never become good, that’s the point. The game allows all players to improve or regress but only to a certain point. Every player has a ceiling which decides how good he can become.

I disagree strongly with you, the current system gives you one opinion. Sell the trash, buy the best players. There should be a new system where you as a manager have the ability to influence players.

By the way, I'm not talking about a system where you can just take a bad player and make him 20 in everything like it was an editor. The system would have strengths and weaknesses somehow. It wouldn't come for free.

Manberg

Predator
I disagree strongly with you, the current system gives you one opinion. Sell the trash, buy the best players. There should be a new system where you as a manager have the ability to influence players.

By the way, I'm not talking about a system where you can just take a bad player and make him 20 in everything like it was an editor. The system would have strengths and weaknesses somehow. It wouldn't come for free.

That’s how it is in real life. The game allows some fluidity. The potential ability that’s hard coded is a maximum potential ability. Players may or may not reach it, depending on multiple factors. I believe I also saw logic in one of the editors where maximum potential ability is set to something like “>180” or “<160”. Not sure if it just makes it a random amount or not.

That’s how it is in real life. The game allows some fluidity. The potential ability that’s hard coded is a maximum potential ability. Players may or may not reach it. I believe I also saw logic in one of the editors where maximum potential ability is set to something like “>180” or “<160”. Not sure if it just makes it a random amount or not.

The game is much more rigid than fluid when it comes to PA and CA.

That’s how it is in real life. The game allows some fluidity. The potential ability that’s hard coded is a maximum potential ability. Players may or may not reach it, depending on multiple factors. I believe I also saw logic in one of the editors where maximum potential ability is set to something like “>180” or “<160”. Not sure if it just makes it a random amount or not.

Also, you don't seem to read anything here or about the game. The PA is two system -1 to -10 where -10 is like 180-200, barely fluid. Then it has a set PA which is 0-200.

You are the manager and you have zero influence about it. You don't believe manager in real life can inspire player to play higher than CA or get players to better place than they are destined for? You believe Klopps midfield is doing it on their own. Nope.

Manberg

Predator
Also, you don't seem to read anything here or about the game. The PA is two system -1 to -10 where -10 is like 180-200, barely fluid. Then it has a set PA which is 0-200.

You are the manager and you have zero influence about it. You don't believe manager in real life can inspire player to play higher than CA or get players to better place than they are destined for? You believe Klopps midfield is doing it on their own. Nope.

If the set PA is 180 are you saying the player will eventually always reach a CA of 180 to match the PA?
I’m pretty sure training and experience is a factor in reaching the PA.

If the set PA is 180 are you saying the player will eventually always reach a CA of 180 to match the PA?
I’m pretty sure training and experience is a factor in reaching the PA.

If you play the player and he gets good training he gets full PA. Easy.

Mbappé has higher PA than Haland. But there is no telling right now who will be better in the future. If Haland manages to get to Liverpool and play under Klopp he could easily become better.

You can't simulate that in current FM. You as a manager have no tools to influence players to become better than they were destined before they met you.

Manberg

Predator
If you play the player and he gets good training he gets full PA. Easy.

Mbappé has higher PA than Haland. But there is no telling right now who will be better in the future. If Haland manages to get to Liverpool and play under Klopp he could easily become better.

You can't simulate that in current FM. You as a manager have no tools to influence players to become better than they were destined before they met you.

I’ve had many games where my players never reach their PA. This is especially true if I don’t manage them well. I think the FM system is a far more accurate portrayal of real life than your suggestion. It makes sense that everybody has a potential.
By the way, you speak about its “current system”, was it any different in older FM games?

I’ve had many games where my players never reach their PA. This is especially true if I don’t manage them well. I think the FM system is a far more accurate portrayal of real life than your suggestion. It makes sense that everybody has a potential.
By the way, you speak about its “current system”, was it any different in older FM games?

No the system has been the same with no change for the year, you are playing the same game year after year.

And no the current system is not good at simulating reality. The players potential are decided for you by some men who make the game. You have no influence in the game. My idea may be bad to change that but I think there still need to be a way you can influence player more potential wise as manager and not let the men who make the game decide everything how the game and players are going to turn out.

Manberg

Predator
No the system has been the same with no change for the year, you are playing the same game year after year.

And no the current system is not good at simulating reality. The players potential are decided for you by some men who make the game. You have no influence in the game. My idea may be bad to change that but I think there still need to be a way you can influence player more potential wise as manager and not let the men who make the game decide everything how the game and players are going to turn out.

They use real life scouts and analysts to gather their database of data. It’s not random.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom