• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
You’re just stating the obvious. Every sporting great, manager or player needed support. Even Messi needed a mother and father, a sports teacher who encouraged him and managers who bought him and pointed him in the right direction, but it doesn’t detract from his greatness.

David Dein saw Arsène’s talent, brought him to the club and supported him, he deserves a lot of credit for sure.

But that’s when the club was making good choices, not dealing with rotten agents and freezing out talented footballers.

You posted "Arsenal is slowly destroying the clubs classy reputation that Wenger strived so hard to build for us." but the club was well known for class before the great man Wenger arrived. It doesn't matter how many times you try to spin it a different way, that fact is not going to change my brother.

Anyway....back to Özil!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'm not knocking Wenger at all, I firmly believe he's the greatest Arsenal manager I'll see in my lifetime.

It's just weird how things change within 3 years. Those two issues you mentioned, Wenger was getting slaughtered by a lot of the fan base for his ethical stance of not dealing with these super agents and for being perceived as a soft touch when it came to things like discipline in his later years.

You can't please some people. Wenger was past it and needed to go according to most, now the same fans are pining for him.

Obviously it's never going to happen but if Wenger were to come back as manager, they'd turn on him again in no time when the had to deal with the real Wenger rather than the nostalgic / romanticised view they have of him now.
You can’t romanticise plain facts. His statistics speak for themselves up to 2015/16 before the fans decided 2nd to Leicester wasn’t good enough and took matters into their own hands. The rest is history. Here we are bottom half of the table before Christmas.

He’s not coming back, nor should he. He took enough abuse last time.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
You can’t romanticise plain facts. His statistics speak for themselves up to 2015/16 before the fans decided 2nd to Leicester wasn’t good enough and took matters into their own hands. The rest is history. Here we are bottom half of the table before Christmas.

He’s not coming back, nor should he. He took enough abuse last time.

I was pro Wenger till his final day. At the end of the day it was the majority of the fanbase that pushed him out of the door and decided he wasn't good enough anymore, whether rightly or wrongly. As fans we've all got to live with the consequences. It's hypocritical for them to start wishing he was still here now, or saying he'd do a better job.

I was relieved when Wenger eventually left too, for his sake. It was death by 1000th cuts towards the end of his career. I was glad he didn't have to put up with it anymore.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Özil would have fixed few things but i doubt we'd have turned top 4 candidates with him our problems more deeper than that. The midfield is just working at all there few movement from our wingers also the main reason that Özil not type of players will press run all game modern managers have fetish on these kind of players so players like Özil are forgotten even James Rodriguez admit that
Maybe modern managers are wrong.

Maybe our modern manager needs to look at the Liverpool blueprint and see that the lack of creativity from midfield is replaced by technical forwards and creative fullbacks. Our attackers can barely control a football.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Maybe our modern manager needs to look at the Liverpool blueprint and see that the lack of creativity from midfield is replaced by technical forwards and creative fullbacks. Our attackers can barely control a football.
Of course modern managers are wrong you see now nobody plays with number 10 it seem everyone copying what other manager do mostly managers play 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3 you see Everton they stick James in wide position in 4-4-2 formation. De Bruyne play mostly as advanced central midfielder and he originally a number 10 i blame bald pep for this everyone copying him.

Multipass

I

I agree with this.

we essentially create a gap between the midfield two and our attackers and rely on the CF to be able hold up play and link up with wingers without a player who has that in his armoury. Would almost be better off given our team using an Özil type as a false 9 - although that didn’t work at all when we shoved William there a few weeks back.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I agree with this.

we essentially create a gap between the midfield two and our attackers and rely on the CF to be able hold up play and link up with wingers without a player who has that in his armoury. Would almost be better off given our team using an Özil type as a false 9 - although that didn’t work at all when we shoved William there a few weeks back.
I’ve mentioned this a few times myself and statistically, I can’t see why Özil wouldn’t do a better job.

We all know about his assist potential, ball retention and distribution in short range but he’s also marginally a better goal threat in open play too. He’s played there more times than Willian too.

Was certainly worth a try but oh well.

Godwin1

Very well-known
It’s pretty silent in here, what’s going on?
Özil's still a spent force who's had an overall disapointing career with us, though he has had periods of brilliance. In his last two seasons he's been very poor. The general opinion seems to be shifting towards playing him though as we're that bad then what have we got to lose?

Also @Makingtrax is periodically bringing some Wenger chat in here. Just thought I'd give you a summary mate.

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

It’s pretty silent in here, what’s going on?
He can no longer be blamed for what's (not) happening on the pitch.

Plus the twitter trolling as sort or resided a bit, I don't really know what happened with Piers Morgan though didn't care enough.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

He can no longer be blamed for what's (not) happening on the pitch.

Plus the twitter trolling as sort or resided a bit, I don't really know what happened with Piers Morgan though didn't care enough.
Thread used to be top of the forum all the time

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
https://www.express.co.uk/videos/6212253705001/Arsenal-Wilshere-gives-thoughts-on-Özil-saga

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/26/sports/soccer/mesut-Özil-arsenal-china.html

Özil, 32, insists it is his “love” for Arsenal that keeps him there. He had opportunities to leave over the course of this summer, according to a soccer executive with knowledge of the offers, but none that appealed. The size of his salary — and perhaps his reputation as troublesome — severely limits his options, even as Arsenal is so keen to move him on that it is prepared to pay two-thirds of his contract to make it happen.

It was only in the last week that the reality of his situation set in. He had already been left out of Arsenal’s squad for this season’s Europa League — he live-tweeted its game against Rapid Vienna on Thursday night from home — when he was told he would not be in the list for the Premier League campaign, either.

With the transfer window closed until January, it is, now, too late for him to leave. Until then, at the earliest, he finds himself in soccer exile: one of his own making, of his club’s making, one that there does not seem to have a way out.

He believes it started with the tweet. Arsenal disputes that. Wherever it began, this is where it has led: 10 months later, Mesut Özil has, effectively, been erased.

novar

Özil embodies the Arsenal we are leaving behind. Creativity, exciting and memorable football, class, sticking up for your principles even if you shouldn't, being overpaid and content yourself with being good but not the absolute best.

We got 10+ years of this, it will take a while to move on (if we even want to)

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Özil embodies the Arsenal we are leaving behind. Creativity, exciting and memorable football, class, sticking up for your principles even if you shouldn't, being overpaid and content yourself with being good but not the absolute best.

We got 10+ years of this, it will take a while to move on (if we even want to)

Wenger considers how the game has continued to shift away even more towards high stamina competition. “The trend, because the game in the last 10 years has become more physical, is that creative players have been kicked out,” he says. “More compact teams give less room to express your talent. So that means the physical approach has been more dominant.

We have an example of a creative player being kicked out of the game at Arsenal…” There is a very pregnant pause in the room filled with a fleeting apparition of Mesut Özil.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He’s leaving in 3 months, what’s there to talk about anymore? These are the final days you can say.

Anyway, there are more interesting things to discuss, like our team not scoring in open play in the last two months, Harry Maguire having more shots than Auba, Arteta and his various inconsistencies, Willian flying off to Dubai etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom