• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
EnrB2YJXMAA7A_d

The last line reminds me of Mik :shivering:

Not sure I agree with Arsène here. Pep and Mourinho would surely have to go in the control freak category and they're the two most successful managers of their generation.

Football would be so much more fun if everyone involved in the game had the idealism of Wenger though. Love him to bits.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Nketiah would compliment Aubamayang best I feel with his movement and energy; obviously against the best opponents we should revert back to a 343, but generally 442 or 4222 is the most apt system for these players.

You want less creativity, less technicality, less skills in the starting 11 so that we have less control, less possession, create less chance and play boring football?

If we play 4-4-2, this is the way to go:

——————Martinelli——Pepe———————
Saka————Partey———Ceballos——Willian
Tierney—Luiz/Holding—Gabriel——Bellerin
—————————Leno——————————

We are 3-4 aouar behind where we should be.

Auba/Laca/nketiah/willock/niles are skilless and shxt. Have you ever watched Ronaldinho play football? We don’t want 5 Walcott in the same team.

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not sure I agree with Arsène here. Pep and Mourinho would surely have to go in the control freak category and they're the two most successful managers of their generation.

Not sure either shout as much on the sidelines though.

Literally doesn’t shut up from 0-90 since lockdown.

novar

Okay, question. What would you do to increase our creativity with what we currently have? Go.

Saka on a wing, Ceballos in a more advanced position without every single movement of his micromanaged, a 2 striker formation that gives space to Aubameyang, stop having Xhaka fully hiding as an extra centerback, suffer Willock for a bit until he understands how to properly make the runs needed under this setup... It really is not hard.

Even if you want to keep pretending it's a dilemma every manager would have with our squad, Arteta's decisions regarding Özil, Guendouzi and not prioritizing a creative CM in the last window are what has him in trouble anyway.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Okay, question. What would you do to increase our creativity with what we currently have? Go.
I am not a manager, I am an armchair pundit, however, I not a chicken so I will give it a go.

Looking up and down the league and looking at lesser players and teams that have had success so far, one thing I have noticed is most teams have one or two or even more players who are allowed to shirk defensive responsibility just a bit and are encouraged to stay near the box or get into the box.

This would include Bamford, DCL, Che Adams, Maupay, who are lesser players.

Then you have good/better players who are given freedom, Grealish, Jiminez, Zaha, Ings, Vardy, Son. Even then, Auba has has been better than all of these bar Vardy. Lacazette 2018/2019 return of 13 prem goals and 8 assists is nothing to scoff at either. He's had a near a 40-50% conversion rate more or less his entire Arsenal career.

Also one more thing to note, plenty of teams up and down the league currently do not play with a traditional #10.

Looking at us now:
  • we're way too deep,
  • our most dangerous players Auba, Saka and Pepe are nowhere near the box in comparison to the names I've mentioned
  • rarely ever get into central positions where they do the most damage.

I have even illustrated this clearly in the heat maps thread I made. This is clearly an Arteta problem as our main threats have proven they can do damage, without Özil and Miki.

If those examples aren't enough for you, I have one old Arsenal interview with Lacazette where he explains the difference between Wenger and Emery (Wenger wanted Lacazette to stay in the box more)
@6.18mins in

Another example is DCL who notes that Ancelotti encourages him to stay in the box

Probably excessive but I don't take criticising Arteta or any Arsenal manager lightly by the way, I try to back up my views as much as I can.

We aren't getting our main threats in dangerous areas enough compared to lesser teams, never mind top 4,

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I am not a manager, I am an armchair pundit, however, I not a chicken so I will give it a go.

Looking up and down the league and looking at lesser players and teams that have had success so far, one thing I have noticed is most teams have one or two or even more players who are allowed to shirk defensive responsibility just a bit and are encouraged to stay near the box or get into the box.

Then you have good/better players who are given freedom, Grealish, Jiminez, Zaha, Ings, Vardy, Son. Even then, Auba has has been better than all of these bar Vardy. Lacazette 2018/2019 return of 13 prem goals and 8 assists is nothing to scoff at either. He's had a near a 40-50% conversion rate more or less his entire Arsenal career.

Also one more thing to note, plenty of teams up and down the league currently do not play with a traditional #10.

Looking at us now:
  • we're way too deep,
  • our most dangerous players Auba, Saka and Pepe are nowhere near the box in comparison to the names I've mentioned

I have even illustrated this clearly in the heat maps thread I made. This is clearly an Arteta problem as our main threats have proven they can do damage, without Özil and Miki.

If those examples aren't enough for you, I have one old Arsenal interview with Lacazette where he explains the difference between Wenger and Emery (Wenger wanted Lacazette to stay in the box more)
@6.18mins in

Another example is DCL who notes that Ancelotti encourages him to stay in the box

Probably excessive but I don't take criticising Arteta or any Arsenal manager lightly by the way, I try to back up my views as much as I can.

We aren't getting our main threats in dangerous areas enough compared to lesser teams, never mind top 4,

I see what you're saying...but again we have no one between the lines really, especially when we play Saka as a wingback (which I really hope we stop, as he is head and shoulders above all our other current wide players) if we leave Auba or Laca in the box now our team will be too disconnected , as we have no one to find them with a pass in the final third, think that's why Arteta emphasis pressing so much...when we get those players, I hope Mikel relaxes on the pressing a bit.

The 2 videos you used...Wenger wanted Laca to stay further up because we already had Sanchez, Özil, Wilshere, Iwobi and later Mkh that season, we didn't need Laca anywhere else bar up front...same with Calvert-Lewin, Everton have James , Gomes and Richarlison, players that can makes things happen with the ball, they can afford to leave him to focus more on just getting in the box...I just don't think we have enough right now, we really lack anything in that space.

It's not about goals and assists, it's just about having quality footballers that can create chances.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

Looking at us now:
  • we're way too deep,

@6.18mins in

1) Our attacking players are not creative/skilful enough to build our way up the pitch.

2) Our attacking players are not creative/skilful enough to break down a block of defence.

As a result they are unable to get to dangerous areas.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

It's not about goals and assists, it's just about having quality footballers that can create chances.
There's not enough for top 4, probably.

There enough to play nice football? maybe not - but even then like I keep mentioning Leeds, Southampton and Brighton include some of our academy rejects and former players so - I'm sorry that's not an excuse.

Bamford misses hella chances and isn't better than anyone here and yet, he's up there in non penalty related goals potential.

Bielsa for example does more with this team going forward- no proof there just my opinion.

There is 100% enough here to do better than what we are currently doing, there is tons of evidence to suggest this.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
There enough to play nice football? maybe not - but even then like I keep mentioning Leeds, Southampton and Brighton include some of our academy rejects and former players so - I'm sorry that's not an excuse.

I'm not saying pretty football, for the sake of pretty football...what I am talking about is a mix of players in a team that elevate it, sometimes you don't need a player to be productive for him to be important, as long as that is compensated in other areas.

Take Hleb for example, lovely footballer but you couldn't rely on him for goals to save your life...but his ability to keep the ball under extreme pressure, sometimes drawing a extra man onto him, opening up space for a stat machine like Cesc to run riot...that's why Hleb, despite only 10 goals in 3 years at Arsenal, was a crucial part of our 2006 Champion League team and the last time we challenged for the league in 2008, he benefited the team in his specific way.

If you look at the last time our attack was even semi-competent imo, the 2018/2019 under Emery...we still had the likes of Iwobi, Mkh and a still somewhat useful Mes, you knew that they could play in-between the lines relatively well, even if that wouldn't be reflected well in the stats individually for those guys, they were good "footballers" if nothing else...but they played with an absolute goal machine in Auba and a Laca that was quality and not seemingly past it, you knew they would get goals while the other guys wouldn't, you also didn't need the 2 strikers dropping deep then as you knew the midfield could find them...plus you had Ramsey taking reasonability by getting forward from the middle, we had a decent mix even then...I don't think we have that balance now.

The only attacker we have that is good enough to create chances is Saka...Auba, Laca, Pepe, Eddie, Martinelli, you just want them near or in the box with the ball.

Last edited:

GoonerJay24

You want less creativity, less technicality, less skills in the starting 11 so that we have less control, less possession, create less chance and play boring football?

If we play 4-4-2, this is the way to go:

——————Martinelli——Pepe———————
Saka————Partey———Ceballos——Willian
Tierney—Luiz/Holding—Gabriel——Bellerin
—————————Leno——————————

We are 3-4 aouar behind where we should be.

Auba/Laca/nketiah/willock/niles are skilless and shxt. Have you ever watched Ronaldinho play football? We don’t want 5 Walcott in the same team.

There are different ways to play 442 I suppose, perhaps as you say we shouldn't be so possession oriented and instead opt for a direct approach.

Martinelli isn't fit and Pepe has never played centre forward before although, I could envisage him playing that position but not at the expense of Aubamayang regardless of how bad his forms been lately

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
There are different ways to play 442 I suppose, perhaps as you say we shouldn't be so possession oriented and instead opt for a direct approach.

Martinelli isn't fit and Pepe has never played centre forward before although, I could envisage him playing that position but not at the expense of Aubamayang regardless of how bad his forms been lately
No

Your approach is too direct and boring and will have no possession.

I want a more skillful, technical, creativity, possession approach.

Your selection of auba and nketiah are two of the least skillful players in the squad.

My selection of players is the exact opposite.

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

The only attacker we have that is good enough to create chances is Saka...Auba, Laca, Pepe, Eddie, Martinelli, you just want them near or in the box with the ball.
I want to see what some of you guys say when Arteta does what I think he can do and these "crap" players firing again.

Or goes a month with no goals in open play. Either way, I will be here.

GoonerJay24

No

Your approach is too direct and boring and will have no possession.

I want a more skillful, technical, creativity, possession approach.

Your selection of auba and nketiah are two of the least skillful players in the squad.

My selection of players is the exact opposite.

In a 442 it's not the strikers dictating possession; Nketiahs runs into the channels would create spaces for Auba and wingers to exploit in a 442.

It wouldn't be boring if Arteta allowed the players to express themselves more in attack without micromanaging every playing phase.

Last edited:

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I want to see what some of you guys say when Arteta does what I think he can do and these "crap" players firing again.

They will have the same reaction the Sp**s fan base had this season. Or Leicester fans between the Claude Puel and Rodgers tenures. With almost identical starting 11's they went from thinking 90% of their squads were mid table. Incapable of playing decent football and needing massive rebuilding jobs to now thinking the same players are capable of at least top 4 finish.

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

They will have the same reaction the Sp**s fan base had this season. Or Leicester fans between the Claude Puel and Rodgers tenures. With almost identical starting 11's they went from thinking 90% of their squads were mid table. Incapable of playing decent football and needing massive rebuilding jobs to now thinking the same players are capable of at least top 4 finish.
^ Exactly this. People forget, nobody would have wanted Kane from the last couple seasons, now he's looking like the best player in the league.

Ditto a lot of Leicester players. Anyways, I've got my point across as best I can and I don't wanna be a spambot.

Moah

Looking at us now:
  • we're way too deep,

@6.18mins in

Their is too much logic in that. I doubt it would be of value in a place its least appreciated.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I kinda like the way Palace have implemented their 4-4-2 with Zaha playing centre-forward and I wondered if we could do the same with Auba or Pepe - with one of them rotating with Lacazette when needed.

All 3 would benefit with playing with a partner and Pepe actually played upfront under Bielsa for Lille apparently.

For me, I think we get caught up in formations - it's more the intention I want to see.
Arteta should pick the formation he thinks is best - I am not particularly a fan of the fanbase having a huge influence on it.

bonzka

I don't care what formation we play. Midfielders passing to each other and some combination play between these midfielders would be a nice start.

ArtetaOut

Arteta fanboys in this forum are ****ing ridiculous. We have 1 goal in 5 league matches which was a ****ing penalty, and we're almost the bottom of the league when it comes to chances created and shots attempted. And again who made the stupid decision to omit Özil altogether, forces the team to backpass in our own half 90% of the time, and play players out of position? He is a complete failure when it comes to man management and attacking organization. Have some shame and stop finding excuses for Lego Boy.

GDeep™

League is very weak
This term obviously looks a tough one, top 4 is off the table for me now. Looking ahead, I’m already worried about next season and key players missing 2 months in the middle of the season to go play African nations.

They also never return the same, normally knackered or exhausted on their return and the season for them becomes a write-off.

Top Bottom