• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2020/21

Jae

We've declined so much on a technical level it's astounding. There aren't many genuine footballers in this team anymore. Reckon Arteta could still probably play in this team and look good.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
No matter what we do our team just lack alot of things we don't have player that can carry the ball in middle with pace we don't have creative midfielder we don't winger who can create cut inside or dribble few players we asking saka and willock to this but these guys are young thier career just started we have to ask Willian pepe to do that

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc

Look at this for horrendous squad building. There's no plan here at all, just a bunch of random signings. A couple of big signings, a few opportunistic signings and a few punts. But in general it's dreadful stuff. Also find it amusing we spent about 125 million on strikers in the space of 18 months before ending up with a top one in Auba. Pretty much sums it all up.

30m on Saliba and not being used. 70m on Pepe but only had 2 league starter this season. The big signings that was signed under Emery are not used. That's 100m wasted and could have been added to Arteta's budget to sign top quality creative player or playmaker.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Saka, Martinelli, Tierney, Partey and Gabriel are the only players I'd keep if I was given a chance to do a complete overhaul of the squad. That means 84% of the squad is basically between bang average and deadwood. Pretty depressing situation.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Saka, Martinelli, Tierney, Partey and Gabriel are the only players I'd keep if I was given a chance to do a complete overhaul of the squad. That means 84% of the squad is basically between bang average and deadwood. Pretty depressing situation.
Yes but most team have that you don't have 100% top players we have alot of underperforming players and they need to step up.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

I think we have the bones of a good squad tbh.

Leno, Runarrsson, Tierney, Bellerin, Saliba, Gabriel, Mari, Cedric, Saka, Martinelli, Partey, Willock, Nelson, ESR, Auba, Pepe, Balogun, Willian.

Are the players I'd build off. Main starting 11 needs 3 or 4 starters.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Pepe, Auba, Saka

CAM . Partey. Xhaka

Tierney Gabriel Holding Bellerin

4 -5 positions for upgrade. Only one glaring hole.

GoonerJay24

To get the best out of this current personnel 442 is the way to go or a system which allows for two strikers

442 flat
Leno
Bellerin Holding Gabriel Tierney
Niles Partey Elneny Saka
Aubamayang Pepe

Leno
Holding Gabriel Tierney
Niles Partey Elneny Saka
Willock
Pepe/Nketiah Aubamayang

4222 (Inverted Wingers)
Leno
Bellerin/Niles Holding Gabriel Tierney
Elneny Partey
Saka Willock/Smith-Rowe
Aubamayang Pepe/Nketiah

Something seems abit off whenever we're playing 343 or 433, doesn't suit this team whatsoever

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
I think Arteta will keep playing 433 the first 25 minutes against were encouraging even tho we faced alot of shots but that what happened when you play 433 with Xhaka Ceballos specially against team like Leeds who press high

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
It looks bad because there are too many players who can't pass the ball: Bellerin, Tierney, Holding, Ceballos, Saka, Auba, Laca. That's half of the squad already, and while all of them have some other talents that are useful, there's just no way any manager will get fluency out of this squad.

This squad looks like Frankenstein, constant patching with no clear vision or plan of what our club wants to build here.

Impact

Established Member
'We have to be stronger than ever, keep our idea and keep trying to bring the players we want, keep the players we have and evolve them. For me that’s the main secret... We want to move to a 4-3-3 but for that you need a lot of specificity in every position but now in 5/6 positions we don’t have it.' — Arteta in an interview with DAZN Spain.

Leno

Bellerín - [RCB ] - Gabriel - Tierney

Partey

[RCM ] - [LCM ]

[RW] - Aubameyang - [LW]
Those are the gaps I think Arteta sees a need to address in the next 18-24 months. Maybe ST as the sixth position needing an addition because of Aubameyang's age.

It will likely be a mix of promoting from within (Saka and Martinelli leading the charge), hoping recent purchases fulfil promise (Saliba and Pépé) and smart external recruitment.

Last edited:

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
'We have to be stronger than ever, keep our idea and keep trying to bring the players we want, keep the players we have and evolve them. For me that’s the main secret... We want to move to a 4-3-3 but for that you need a lot of specificity in every position but now in 5/6 positions we don’t have it.' — Arteta in an interview with DAZN Spain.

Leno

Bellerín - [ ] - Gabriel - Tierney

Partey

[ ] - [ ]

[ ] - Aubameyang - [ ]
Those are the gaps I think Arteta sees a need to address in the next 18-24 months. Maybe ST as the sixth position needing an addition because of Aubameyang's age.

It will likely be a mix of promoting from within (Saka and Martinelli leading the charge), hoping recent purchases fulfil promise (Saliba and Pépé) and smart external recruitment.

He said the other week that he seems Auba's natural position on the left, so I think CF is a big priority of his.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
I think he'll back to 343 seem 433 made us more s**t don't think we have players to play 433 no Partey no creative midfielder in 433 we got bypass so easily. 343 will be struggle to watch but we'll be capable getting results until January when Partey Martinelli and hopefully getting creative midfielder

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I think he'll back to 343 seem 433 made us more s**t don't think we have players to play 433 no Partey no creative midfielder in 433 we got bypass so easily. 343 will be struggle to watch but we'll be capable getting results until January when Partey Martinelli and hopefully getting creative midfielder
Agree, I'm a bit disappointed we've never tried Willian as a midfielder with Pepe on the right

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Agree, I'm a bit disappointed we've never tried Willian as a midfielder with Pepe on the right
Willian never played in midfield he barely can do it on wings if we should try someone in midfield is ESR he can give us extra creativity

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Willian never played in midfield he barely can do it on wings if we should try someone in midfield is ESR he can give us extra creativity
Desperate times, think it's worth giving it a go. Some wingers switch to a more central position once they lose pace, Willian wouldn't be the first, and he is 33 or something already.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
I agree. We're all here talking about upgrades but what should we do in the mean time until January? Until Partey returns i'd try Luiz in midfield beside Elneny and Willian as a 10 with Saka and Nelson out wide. Its not ideal and yes we'll be short at CB but that would mean Saliba is at least on the bench. Maybe there will be some sort of chemistry between Willian and Luiz so we can get the ball forward. Plus Willian can interchange with either Nelson or Saka. It just gives some options in attack

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Guess I'll post this here seeing as the Özil thread is locked..... again.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Özil should absolutely be in the squad, look at what we’re trying to do with Willock and Lacazette.

Just wanted to point out that Merson is a clown who’s just contrary for the sake of it. He’s been slagging off Özil for years.

He should never be used as a voice of reason, even when he’s absolutely right. He’s been saying what I’ve been saying though.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
This is a fanbase who largely turned up their noses at the idea of Coutinho - even on loan. Yes, we've been great creatively this season.

I bet the same fans would still find reasons why Coutinho would be a bad signing never mind and Isco or Lemar.

I'd love a mobile playmaker in our midfield, who can link midfield and attack. ESR might be the guy in the future, but my priority in January would to get a creator in.

Willian, Özil and Pepe are creative, but one looks in semi retirement, 1 is a serial tweeter and not registered and things aren't working for our record signing.

Top Bottom