• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal's True Spending Position: There is no top 6

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's early days yet, let's give it a couple more years of patience before claiming we are a humdrum club, we will save huge wages on contracts expiring in the summer and we have a promising group of young players that we can hopefully build on. People were ready for a change after years of contract failings and then Xhaka and Mustafi put the icing on the cake.
It's 5 years since we came second in 2015/16 and the fans decided to start their campaigning in earnest.

5 years before that - finishes: 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd
5 years after the campaign - finishes: 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, currently 11th

That's the story right there bro. No opinions just bare facts.

It's 5 years since we came second in 2015/16 and the fans decided to start their campaigning in earnest.

5 years before that - finishes: 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd
5 years after the campaign - finishes: 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, currently 11th

That's the story right there bro. No opinions just bare facts.

I'm not sure why the 5 years is relevant, it's currently less than 2.5 seasons, it will take time to replace a legendary manager. Our performances over the last 2.5 seasons are also somewhat affected by the dreadful acquisitions that were made during the final years of Wengers tenure and the bad contract decisions. For example: Xhaka, Mustafi, Mhki, Kola. Not sorting out contracts earlier: Sanchez, Özil, Ramsey etc. Let's not forget how much other teams in the PL have improved either.

No Arsenal fan can deny Arsène's legendary status but we've got to move on from this "I told you so" mentality looking back into the past. Yes we are in dire straits, but we have a good crop of young players and big contracts expiring in the summer so let's look forward to the future.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I'm not sure why the 5 years is relevant, it's currently less than 2.5 seasons, it will take time to replace a legendary manager. Our performances over the last 2.5 seasons are also somewhat affected by the dreadful acquisitions that were made during the final years of Wengers tenure and the bad contract decisions. For example: Xhaka, Mustafi, Mhki, Kola. Not sorting out contracts earlier: Sanchez, Özil, Ramsey etc. Let's not forget how much other teams in the PL have improved either.

No Arsenal fan can deny Arsène's legendary status but we've got to move on from this "I told you so" mentality looking back into the past. Yes we are in dire straits, but we have a good crop of young players and big contracts expiring in the summer so let's look forward to the future.
Moving away from facts, it's my opinion that Sanchez contract mess and the Mustafi, Perez buys were panic decisions as Wenger and the club were folding under the boycotts, protests and planes pressure. They hung on to Sanchez like a life line instead of selling him early to reap the rewards.

With regard to "I told you so", the hundreds of posts over the years that told me I was deluded about Wenger and any manager could get top 4 with Arsenal have yet to dissipate in my mind. :lol:

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
I love Wenger, but I don’t agree with @Makingtrax squad cost theory.

David beat Goliath. Leicester and Blackburn won the premier league. The premier league’s been going on for less than 30 years. The odds of it happening would be much lower than 2/30 if his squad cost and odds theory was to be believed.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
With regard to "I told you so", the hundreds of posts over the years that told me I was deluded about Wenger and any manager could get top 4 with Arsenal have yet to dissipate in my mind. :lol:
Seriously, you’re acting like there was a vindication consolation trophy to be won by us continuing to struggle after Wenger left. There’s a subtle clue in that sentence...

Now on the other hand, we improved our points total, missed out on 4th by a silly penalty and got to a European final the year after that. Then we WON a trophy the year after that. Those are facts too.

Let it go man.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

David beat Goliath. Leicester and Blackburn won the premier league. The premier league’s been going on for less than 30 years. The odds of it happening would be much lower than 2/30 if his squad cost and odds theory was to be believed.
Tbf Blackhurn spent big back in the day. But other teams spent more than United and failed to win. And Leicester well just ignore Leicester.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

It’s not a theory it’s a fact.

If I asked you to put a £100 on Burnley winning the league at the start of next season, would you do it? The answers no. Why, because you know they haven’t invested enough in their squad, so have very long odds.

So you do agree with squad cost as a very rough measure of where teams might finish in the league.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
It’s not a theory it’s a fact.

If I asked you to put a £100 on Burnley winning the league at the start of next season, would you do it? The answers no. Why, because you know they haven’t invested enough in their squad, so have very long odds.

So you do agree with squad cost as a very rough measure of where teams might finish in the league.

No, because the majority of places clubs finish in the league is not determined by squad cost. You will find that most clubs would be over 3 places higher or lower than their squad cost place.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Tbf Blackhurn spent big back in the day. But other teams spent more than United and failed to win. And Leicester well just ignore Leicester.
Leicester have won the top division once in their 140 year existence. Chelsea have won 5 times in the last 16 years since a massive investment in the squad (very little before that by the way). That’s what a high squad cost gives you.

You squad cost deniers are like creationists. :lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Bingo!!!

If we agree on this do you promise to never post on the subject ever again? :drool:
You might agree but there’s still a large number on here who think the only reason the winners of the Prem have come from the top 3 spending sides (bar 1 year) is because they have had the best managers. :lol:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Leicester have won the top division once in their 140 year existence. Chelsea have won 5 times in the last 16 years since a massive investment in the squad (very little before that by the way). That’s what a high squad cost gives you.

You squad cost deniers are like creationists. :lol:

It must have been 3/4 years ago now since I first posted in the squad cost thread confused as to why people were arguing with you about this so much. 2021 and it still doesn't make sense to me.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

It must have been 3/4 years ago now since I first posted in the squad cost thread confused as to why people were arguing with you about this so much. 2021 and it still doesn't make sense to me.
They’re arguing for one of two reasons
1) They don’t understand how general it is and think it’s some sort of theory that says if a club has the 6th most squad cost, they’ve got to finish 6th :lol::lol::lol:
2) They’ve got to deny money’s important because they don’t want to acknowledge that Wenger finished above his squad cost position every year for 20 years straight, when they wanted to boot him out. :lol:

Sweet'n'Soulful

You might agree but there’s still a large number on here who think the only reason the winners of the Prem have come from the top 3 spending sides (bar 1 year) is because they have had the best managers. :lol:
It also takes a really good manager to see opportunities and get the best out of what you have. More and more these days clubs are paying inflated prices for underperformers. Performance, hard work, organisation and quality have the final say.

Sweet'n'Soulful

That’s not true at all though. You’ve created a straw man.

Most on here believe spend is a rough guide, which is what you’ve just said. So most are in agreement with you now. Can’t we just leave it at that? No, of course not, because if we leave it at that it seems like you’ve lost and we have won.
:yawn:

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
@Makingtrax
To end this argument once and for all.

Last season’s premier league table:

C4FF3AC4-FD34-4EF4-B703-FE2123E6D199.jpeg

Last season’s squad cost league:

1) Manchester City - €1.014bn
2) Manchester United - €751m
3) Liverpool - €639m
4) Chelsea - €561m
5) Arsenal - €498m
6) Everton - €486m
7) Tottenham Hotspur - €465m
8) Leicester City - €312m
9) West Ham United - €259m
10) Newcastle United - €227m
11) Southampton - €218m
12) Wolverhampton Wanderers - €217m
13) Bournemouth - €215m
14) Aston Villa - €214m
15) Crystal Palace - €208m
16) Brighton & Hove Albion - €192m
17) Watford - €189m
18) Burnley - €132m
19) Sheffield United - €64m
20) Norwich City - €32m

League finish vs Squad cost:
  1. Liverpool: +2
  2. Man City: -1
  3. Man Utd: -1
  4. Chelsea: 0
  5. Leicester: +3
  6. Sp**s: +1
  7. Wolves: +5
  8. Arsenal: -3
  9. Sheffield Utd: +10
  10. Burnley: +8
  11. Southampton: 0
  12. Everton: -6
  13. Newcastle: -3
  14. Crystal Palace: +1
  15. Brighton: +1
  16. West Ham: -7
  17. Aston Villa: -3
  18. Bournemouth: -5
  19. Watford: -2
  20. Norwich: 0

So... only 3 clubs actually finished in the exact same position as their squad cost position in the table. In some cases the difference is huge, Sheffield finishing 10 places above their squad cost, for example.

Your squad cost theory has been vanquished.

/thread

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Why can't people just agree that over time, not one season, something like squad cost can give you a very broad overview as to roughly where a club should finish.

You can probably put more onus on squad cost / net spend determining league positions when you have a manager like Wenger who'd been a club 20+ years and has a self made squad at his disposal.

You'll never be able to make a scientific formula that is anything close to dead on in football where it comes to spend determining league positions. There are just way too many variables in football. Bad / Good managers, poor / over valued signings, injuries, run of luck with refereeing decisions etc All of these variables will affect a clubs position over the course of a season .

The more money you spend and more importantly if you spend it well, generally the higher chance of success. It's by no means a guarantee though. That's about as far as you can go in my opinion.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
@Makingtrax

3) Liverpool - €639m
4) Chelsea - €561m
5) Arsenal - €498m
6) Everton - €486m
11) Southampton - €218m
13) Bournemouth - €215m
14) Aston Villa - €214m
17) Watford - €189m
18) Burnley - €132m
20) Norwich City - €32m

So... only 3 clubs actually finished in the exact same position as their squad cost position in the table. In some cases the difference is huge, Sheffield finishing 10 places above their squad cost, for example.

/thread

You don't really understand this Manberg and your lack of social skills is showing.

bergholt

@Makingtrax

3) Liverpool - €639m
4) Chelsea - €561m
5) Arsenal - €498m
6) Everton - €486m
11) Southampton - €218m
13) Bournemouth - €215m
14) Aston Villa - €214m
17) Watford - €189m
18) Burnley - €132m
20) Norwich City - €32m

/thread

Terrible post. The only conclusion from this is that I hope you don’t work in a job which requires you to understand numbers.

Top Bottom