• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would It Have Made Any Difference If Henry Had Not Left After 2006/2007

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Yes you mixed things up a bit.

The one Sir Alex himself said best ever side was in 2010/2011 not when Henry was in the team.

The one we lost in final against Henry was 2008/2009 when we lost Fletcher in semi final against you due to unfair red card and also Scholes being not fully fit which forced us to play Anderson in midfield against Xavi & Iniesta.

The 2007/2008 is completely different team, there were Hargreaves, Tevez & Scholes in it and we beat Barcelona in semi final.

thumbnail

The 2009 Barce team is better than the 2011 for me, the 2009 beat a far better United team than the 2011 did too...Barca's in the final had their issues too, Henry and Inesita were only half fit, while their defence was all over the place due to suspensions...think they deserve a lot of credit for that performance, against that United team in 08/09.

I agree with you though, we would have needed a much better goalkeeper and DM to truly last that season (probably a different cb to partner Toure, as he and Gallas were too similar for me) rather than just having Henry, who was declining as a player at that point.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
The 2009 Barce team is better than the 2011 for me, the 2009 beat a far better United team than the 2011 did too...Barca's in the final had their issues too, Henry and Inesita were only half fit, while their defence was all over the place due to suspensions...think they deserve a lot of credit for that performance, against that United team in 08/09.

I agree with you though, we would have needed a much better goalkeeper and DM to truly last that season (probably a different cb to partner Toure, as he and Gallas were too similar for me) rather than just having Henry, who was declining as a player at that point.

In my opinion 2010/2011 was better because that was when Xavi & Iniesta were at their best season right after they won the World Cup as well. And also when Pep is at best using False 9 instead of proper no 9.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Yes you mixed things up a bit.

The one Sir Alex himself said best ever side was in 2010/2011 not when Henry was in the team.

The one we lost in final against Henry was 2008/2009 when we lost Fletcher in semi final against you due to unfair red card and also Scholes being not fully fit which forced us to play Anderson in midfield against Xavi & Iniesta.

The 2007/2008 is completely different team, there were Hargreaves, Tevez & Scholes in it and we beat Barcelona in semi final.

thumbnail

I never referred to Henry in Barcelona before, so Barcelona was never a topic for me.
But yeah, I mixed things up a bit, but nonetheless, the teams you had, were similar in quality imo and the Barcelona you beat was not Guardiola and baby messi and it wasn't even a dominating victory.

That Barca side in the final pretty much trashed almost the same side. Was way way way better imo. A player in or out would not have mattered.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
I never referred to Henry in Barcelona before, so Barcelona was never a topic for me.
But yeah, I mixed things up a bit, but nonetheless, the teams you had, were similar in quality imo and the Barcelona you beat was not Guardiola and baby messi and it wasn't even a dominating victory.

That Barca side in the final pretty much trashed almost the same side. Was way way way better imo. A player in or out would not have mattered.

Well I did. Since the topic is about Henry and 2007/2008 and how you believed Henry in that season alone can make any difference to your Arsenal 2007/2008 to take on United 2007/2008 so I decided to remind you that Barcelona 2007/2008 with Henry and better players than Arsenal couldn't stop our 2007/2008 team.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Well I did. Since the topic is about Henry and 2007/2008 and how you believed Henry in that season alone can make any difference to your Arsenal 2007/2008 to take on United 2007/2008 so I decided to remind you that Barcelona 2007/2008 with Henry and better players than Arsenal couldn't stop our 2007/2008 team.

That United team wasn't far off the Arsenal team at the time dude, the United team started to really gel based off the momentum of the end of that season and CL run. The games we played were very tight that season as well, with us drawing at the Emirates and then you narrowly winning at Old Trafford.

I'd even argue that had we not lost our momentum and confidence with Eduardo's leg break that year, we could have won the league.

As for the Champions League match against Barcelona, you won that game due to a wonder strike by Scholes, and then you defended for your lives.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
That United team wasn't far off the Arsenal team at the time dude, the United team started to really gel based off the momentum of the end of that season and CL run. The games we played were very tight that season as well, with us drawing at the Emirates and then you narrowly winning at Old Trafford.

I'd even argue that had we not lost our momentum and confidence with Eduardo's leg break that year, we could have won the league.

As for the Champions League match against Barcelona, you won that game due to a wonder strike by Scholes, and then you defended for your lives.

o_O:no:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Fergie time was also a real thing and the pressure he put on refs was real too.

You got too many lucky calls, especially against us constantly.

But I dont wanna argue too much. You obviously wont go back from your view of the team that made you a lifetime ManU fan and I wouldnt for mine either, let's leave it at that.

You actually came to be a ManU fan I enjoy on this forum, which I, admittedly did not expect initially. So dont wanna get drawn in an unnecessary heated discussion with someone I have come to like on here against the odds - there obviously isnt a resolution for this, soo.. ;)

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
We led the league for more than half the season dude. How do you explain that?

So? You fell apart in February and didn't win it and you won nothing in that season.

We literary won the double and almost win the treble in that season, how can you call our 2007/2008 team as not far off with the Arsenal? It's also the squad that won the league back to back three in a row.

You would take at least 8-9 players to upgrade your XI

591ca24e243c7f0d82000001.jpg

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Wenger always had a knack for selling at the right time when his hands weren't tied by contract blunders.

True.

I remember 2004/2005 was one of our best ever collection of central midfielders (Vieira, Gilberto, Edu, Fabregas) but by the following season 2 of them were sold, and we only had 3 senior midfielders, with one of them being Flamini ffs.

We were so light that season, until Arsène bought Diaby in January...rotating between Silva, Cesc and him really gave us a lot more options in the middle, some much needed power too...think Abou played a rather underrated role that season, don't think we get top four without him.

Reason I bring this up is this...

...what a beautiful player :(

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

So? You fell apart in February and didn't win it and you won nothing in that season.

We literary won the double and almost win the treble in that season, how can you call our 2007/2008 team as not far off with the Arsenal? It's also the squad that won the league back to back three in a row.

You would take at least 8-9 players to upgrade your XI

591ca24e243c7f0d82000001.jpg
We drew 4 games in a row with Birmingham, Villa, Wigan and Boro which ****ed us with regards to the league considering we finished only 4 points behind you. We even lost less games than United. At the end of the day we blew it and you won the title but it wasn't through United stopping us.

Top Bottom