• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu(ardo Hagn)'s Transfer Targets: January 2021

Will We Sign The Attacking Midfielder We Need?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Read an interesting Athletic article which is basically saying this is possibly the deadest transfer window ever.

Clubs across Europe literally have no money. Wolves are getting slowly sucked into a relegation battle and even with Mendes’ connections all they can do is recall Cutrone to cover for Jiminez.

There might be a flurry of loans and player swaps but with various Covid restrictions on entering countries even those are difficult.

It’s having a knock in with extensions, there’s a bunch of players whose contracts are expiring very soon but clubs haven’t got the finances right now to improve on their wages.

My expectations now are pretty much zero. Maybe an Eriksen type on loan and a back up goalie but Buendia isn’t going to happen.
At the start of the pandemic I was one of the most pessimistic posters re our finances. Especially our reliance on match day revenue vs competitors and the knock on impact of sponsors losing money and reducing commercial income for us and competitions in general.

Just now though I am rather bullish. We are freeing up approximately 30m in wages in less than 6 months. We could sign arguably a 50m player on a 5 year contract earning 150k pw and it could cost us 17ish million per seasons over the 5 years. The club should use the depressed market and need for a lot of clubs to get money now before things improve. As Warren Buffet said be fearful when everyone is greedy and be greedy when others are fearful. It's a depressed market, go take advantage of it. dembele loan to buy option for 30m is a prime example. He was being touted at 60 M only 12 months ago. Celtic apparently willing to accept 20m for Edouard. Go and spend.

Goonger

At the start of the pandemic I was one of the most pessimistic posters re our finances. Especially our reliance on match day revenue vs competitors and the knock on impact of sponsors losing money and reducing commercial income for us and competitions in general.

Just now though I am rather bullish. We are freeing up approximately 30m in wages in less than 6 months. We could sign arguably a 50m player on a 5 year contract earning 150k pw and it could cost us 17ish million per seasons over the 5 years. The club should use the depressed market and need for a lot of clubs to get money now before things improve. As Warren Buffet said be fearful when everyone is greedy and be greedy when others are fearful. It's a depressed market, go take advantage of it. dembele loan to buy option for 30m is a prime example. He was being touted at 60 M only 12 months ago. Celtic apparently willing to accept 20m for Edouard. Go and spend.

It's still difficult though. We might be freeing up wages, but to be honest we needed to do something about the wage bill in a normal non pandemic year, as we were a Europa League team paying Champions League wages.

We are still on to make £140m+ losses since this pandemic began. We just can't ignore that even though we'd like to.

On top of that, we now have a £120M loan that will need paid back in May.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if we have any sort of net spend in the summer. We need luck with sales, we might need to make some tough decisions with guys like Maitland-Niles, but hopefully we still have enough to do what we need to do.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

It's still difficult though. We might be freeing up wages, but to be honest we needed to do something about the wage bill in a normal non pandemic year, as we were a Europa League team paying Champions League wages.

We are still on to make £140m+ losses since this pandemic began. We just can't ignore that even though we'd like to.

On top of that, we now have a £120M loan that will need paid back next year.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if we have any sort of net spend in the summer. We need luck with sales, we might need to make some tough decisions with guys like Maitland-Niles, but hopefully we still have enough to do what we need to do.
That we do but we also need to maintain and increase the quality on the pitch. That was clearly articulated at the start of the season when we cut staff and signed Partey. The focus will always be on the team and we have to find a way to make it work. That is one way where we achieve both a reduction and an improvement.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Are still a lot of members positive about this window ?

I wouldn't say I'm positive or negative. Last January before we lost nearly £150m we only had the funds for loans so I don't see how this January will be any different.

I think we will bring in a player on loan if we can find the right opportunity, I don't see us spending anything though.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Not really. He’s making the point that supposed itk’s have often been totally off with our finances and money available for transfers. If the right player is available for transfer for 30m I wouldn’t rule it out, although of course I would rule out Grealish who belongs in the wish list for now.

Most likely of course though is something like approaching Real Madrid towards the end of this window and saying they should be able to let one of Isco or Ødegaard out on loan. As this would be transfer activity along with the move for reserve GK, obviously this thread cannot be locked.

Precisely!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Oscar yeah that perfect is Ramires also available? Hulk?

Fred-Brazil.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom