• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
is that a career stats comparison? Care to do a season one?

Very well. Here is this season:

2-ECD03-FB-B9-FA-456-A-95-C8-E28-F5-CC18-EC3.jpg

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Piece here on Xhaka, I don't like the crux of it but I don't disagree either. A lot of CMs are gonna leave this summer, we can't get rid of all of them, so there's a real possibility that Xhaka stays beyond the summer.

Question is what sort of CM we buy.

https://arseblog.com/2021/01/fight-for-your-right-to-partner-partey/
We always fall on to this trap of thinking. We've had various CB combos and they've performed pretty well despite new league intro and language barriers. I don't think there's any issue with ripping up the midfield which I and few have wanted for a while. This summer we build round Partey and look to recruit a starting partner that compliments him and what we want to do. I'd love Guendouzi to stay but suspect him and Torreira might be off. If Xhaka can fetch £25m, I'd like us to sell abd put that towards a decent long term plan. I'd keep Elneny only because he's competent and has little value.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Never thought I would read a stat like that for xhaka. It's usually most fouls or most yellow cards, clearly he's been working on his defensive position. Credit to him, all the praise in this context is well deserved.
You should always be careful looking at numbers posted by the Xhaka cult. They always post absolute numbers instead of numbers per minutes played. As he starts most of our matches, he will obviously be at the top. Among our midfielders,
Xhaka - 100 recoveries in 1176 minutes - 8.5 per 100
Ceballos - 97 recoveries in 1018 minutes - 9.5 per 100
Partey - 32 recoveries in 365 minutes - 8.7 per 100
Elneny - 56 recoveries in 897 minutes - 6.2 per 100

So yes. Partey and Ceballos are better better than Xhaka in recoveries while Elneny has been poor this season. Elneny's recoveries in 2017-18 is 9.09 per 100. That recovery stat you saw about Xhaka is nothing to rave about.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
You should always be careful looking at numbers posted by the Xhaka cult. They always post absolute numbers instead of numbers per minutes played. As he starts most of our matches, he will obviously be at the top. Among our midfielders,

So yes. Partey and Ceballos are better better than Xhaka in recoveries while Elneny has been poor this season. Elneny's recoveries in 2017-18 is 9.09 per 100. That recovery stat you saw about Xhaka is nothing to rave about.
Thank you.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League

You’re doing the Lord’s work, brother. Keep fighting the ball good fight.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Define progressive pass. If a pass to the left winger running up front is considered a progressive pass, he would obviously have a higher count.

I liked that you put in your post "per minute", I think it's very important in all stats comparisons. But it shows that Xhaka has good amount of recoveries per minute.

Anyway, you talk about Xhaka cult. But can you see yourself here?

Now that blaze_of_glory showed that he has one of the most progressive passes in EPL, and not too shabby in progressive carries either for his speed or role, you try to dodge this fact totally by some weird sidetracking.

"Bu..bububu..bbbbutt.. these stats don't count, I trust my 'eye-test', as I'm so objective with Xhaka that I can see it clearly."

Do you understand that all those players in that chart can have similar passes?

It's not the final say on this matter, but it clearly shows that Xhaka is not nearly as bad in that area as Xhaka haters claim.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I liked that you put in your post "per minute", I think it's very important in all stats comparisons. But it shows that Xhaka has good amount of recoveries per minute.

Anyway, you talk about Xhaka cult. But can you see yourself here?

Now that blaze_of_glory showed that he has one of the most progressive passes in EPL, and not too shabby in progressive carries either for his speed or role, you try to dodge this fact totally by some weird sidetracking.

"Bu..bububu..bbbbutt.. these stats don't count, I trust my 'eye-test', as I'm so objective with Xhaka that I can see it clearly."

Do you understand that all those players in that chart can have similar passes?

It's not the final say on this matter, but it clearly shows that Xhaka is not as bad in that area as Xhaka haters claim.
First, let's look at defensive stats. Xhaka's defensive stats per minutes are poorer than most midfielders. They are even poorer than Ceballos. The only thing he is better at, is headed clearances. If you compare with other teams, even Jorginho has better stats than him. This is the argument which I put forward, I supported it with stats and it correlates with what I see in matches. If you think something is wrong with that, you could use another statistic to explain why the statistics I used does not provide a clearer picture.

Let's move to the attacking stats posted by @blaze_of_glory It is just the number of forward passes. My argument is that even a pass to the wing can be counted as a forward pass and it doesn't usually lead to big chances for us. For instance, Jorginho has created same number of big chances that Xhaka created and 50% more through balls by playing just half the number of games that Xhaka played.

And that's just Jorginho. Do you even want me to start comparing him to the likes of Fernandinho? It's not going to look good. I didn't bring it up in my previous post because I have discussed it enough number of times.

If you find any faults with the stats I mentioned, you can always show me more stats and explain why that will provide a better picture than the ones which I showed. Unfortunately, most Xhaka fans don't do that. They post some random statistic they see on twitter and run away when you point out the problems with it.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
First, let's look at defensive stats. Xhaka's defensive stats per minutes are poorer than most midfielders. They are even poorer than Ceballos. The only thing he is better at, is headed clearances. If you compare with other teams, even Jorginho has better stats than him. This is the argument which I put forward, I supported it with stats and it correlates with what I see in matches. If you think something is wrong with that, you could use another statistic to explain why the statistics I used does not provide a clearer picture.

Let's move to the attacking stats posted by @blaze_of_glory It is just the number of forward passes. My argument is that even a pass to the wing can be counted as a forward pass and it doesn't usually lead to big chances for us. For instance, Jorginho has created same number of big chances that Xhaka created and 50% more through balls by playing just half the number of games that Xhaka played.

And that's just Jorginho. Do you even want me to start comparing him to the likes of Fernandinho? It's not going to look good. I didn't bring it up in my previous post because I have discussed it enough number of times.

If you find any faults with the stats I mentioned, you can always show me more stats and explain why that will provide a better picture than the ones which I showed. Unfortunately, most Xhaka fans don't do that. They post some random statistic they see on twitter and run away when you point out the problems with it.

What stats? You haven’t posted any. Where is this mysterious stat that shows his defensive contribution is “poorer than most midfielders”.

Passing to wingers and fullbacks is his job. The stat shows it’s progressive play. I don’t see your argument. Xhaka excels at most progressive play stats that are accurately mined.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Yeah, well I'm not arguing against Ceballos at all. I like him more than Xhaka. And they play different roles. And to me stats between them in EPL homepage aren't that different.

Jorginho has played 704 minutes in EPL, Xhaka has 1180 minutes. That's not half. And Xhaka has 1 through ball and Jorginho 2. Wow, amazing difference. Both have 0 big chances created.

You can't compare us to team like City and say Xhaka is so bad. It's a team sport.

Anyway your points here do not show that Xhaka's progressive passes are much worse than other players in that chart. Needs much more proof than Jorginho having 1 more through ball than Xhaka. :lol: Jorginho is imo about the same level as Xhaka.

It looks like Hojbjerg for example has quite similar stats overall compared to Xhaka (there are some differences both ways, he has played 1620 minutes). And their team has been on much better form this season.

In that chart he has half the progressive passes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom