• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Bertrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
Was it though? They won the Europa League and ultimately began building the squad they have now as a result. And that's where we are at now. We are building. Sometimes you need those stop gaps to bring through players. You know they'll be there for a few years and then gone meanwhile they help shield younger players so they can be brought through gradually.

I really wouldn’t use Man U as an example of how to build a team. What they have done is thrown money at the problem until something stuck. Fair play to them for sticking to their values of developing young players like Rashford and Greenwood but anybody with a billion pounds can keep chopping and changing players and managers until you stumble upon a winning formula.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Bertrand has always been one of top 5 or 10 LBs in league (I still rate him higher than Chillwell and Shaw).

For years our full backs have been poor at crossing, even our very good full backs like Sagna and Nacho who were brilliant defensively werent great crossers. But we could potentially have 4 fullbacks capable of crossing by the end of next week in Tierney, Bertrand, Cedric and Chambers.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

2year contract for this guy is perfect—even if we have to pay him a little more to accept it. The Lopez kid is 18 and will be ready to back up Tierney in two years.
Meanwhile Tierney is 25 and the 20 year old is sitting in the stand not developing.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I really wouldn’t use Man U as an example of how to build a team. What they have done is thrown money at the problem until something stuck. Fair play to them for sticking to their values of developing young players like Rashford and Greenwood but anybody with a billion pounds can keep chopping and changing players and managers until you stumble upon a winning formula.
so you're saying they buy players and sell players like every other team does? And they stick with a winning combination. The shame.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I'd be irritated with a 3 year deal for a 31 year old. I'd be okay with a 1,5 + 1 deal.

Don't know how good he is, but he is the latest in a line of oldies who so far have all been overpaid. So I hope the deal isn't too large.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why don't we buy a young left back to push Tierney. There needs to be competition for places, not a guaranteed first 11. There also needs to be players with slightly different traits.

Maybe a quicker stronger full back who isn't necessarily as good a crosser and final ball player, but maybe more physical and can still give us threat, but better defensively. So think of like a Wan Bissaka equivalent but younger.

I don't see the point of Bertrand. It just let's Tierney relax and assures him of his status and if Tierney gets injured for a long time, our replacement is an aging full back.

Atlas

so you're saying they buy players and sell players like every other team does? And they stick with a winning combination. The shame.

So you’re saying every other team has the same ability to spend 1 billion pounds on players? Cool when we signing Neymar, Dybala and spending the remaining 500m?

Zazu

Why don't we buy a young left back to push Tierney. There needs to be competition for places, not a guaranteed first 11. There also needs to be players with slightly different traits.

Maybe a quicker stronger full back who isn't necessarily as good a crosser and final ball player, but maybe more physical and can still give us threat, but better defensively. So think of like a Wan Bissaka equivalent but younger.

I don't see the point of Bertrand. It just let's Tierney relax and assures him of his status and if Tierney gets injured for a long time, our replacement is an aging full back.

See what your saying, but I feel that Bertrand and Tierney do have slightly different traits.

From what I've seen Bertrand has a better cross and is a more comfortable dribbler but isn't as quick or solid in the tackle as Tierney.

Tierney's not the sort to get comfortable even if he's guaranteed to start anyway. Man will always give his all no matter what, has insane determination.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

So you’re saying every other team has the same ability to spend 1 billion pounds on players? Cool when we signing Neymar, Dybala and spending the remaining 500m?
Nope, never said that all.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

And I never said United buy and sell players like every other team because every other team doesn’t have a billion to spend.
What you said is you wouldn't use United as an example on how to build a team. Money is a non issue here. Doesn't matter if its 1billion or 100,000 teams buy and sell players. Everything is relative. They are shopping in a difference market than Wycombe but the idea of squad building is still the same. You buy some, you sell some, you develop some.

Atlas

What you said is you wouldn't use United as an example on how to build a team. Money is a non issue here. Doesn't matter if its 1billion or 100,000 teams buy and sell players. Everything is relative. They are shopping in a difference market than Wycombe but the idea of squad building is still the same. You buy some, you sell some, you develop some.

It is a hell of a lot easier to buy and sell when you have a billion pound budget. As I said United can keep throwing money at the problem until they end up with 25 players they are happy with. We can’t. The comparison ends there. They can blow 80m on an average player and still have more money to spend. This season for example we signed Partey and didn’t have the budget for Aouar. United would have just powered through and bought him. We are talking levels here and we are on a different level.

I would credit Liverpool with building a team. Not United they just bought and bought and bought and now they have a team that can challenge for the title. Great achievement that.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

It is a hell of a lot easier to buy and sell when you have a billion pound budget. As I said United can keep throwing money at the problem until they end up with 25 players they are happy with. We can’t. The comparison ends there. They can blow 80m on an average player and still have more money to spend. This season for example we signed Partey and didn’t have the budget for Aouar. United would have just powered through and bought him. We are talking levels here and we are on a different level.

I would credit Liverpool with building a team. Not United they just bought and bought and bought and now they have a team that can challenge for the title. Great achievement that.
But that's not true. There is enough available information out there for you to check this yourself but I'll give you one example if you want to dig further. Lukaku cost united 76m and he was sold for 66m.

Atlas

But that's not true. There is enough available information out there for you to check this yourself but I'll give you one example if you want to dig further. Lukaku cost united 76m and he was sold for 66m.

Does selling Lukaku at a loss negate the fact that they have spent 200m more than us? Put that 200m into squad and see if we’re not title challengers. There is no magic formula to what United have done. Unlike Liverpool who actually built their team and improved their players United have just gone out and signed the best players. Nothing special about having an 90m player in Pogba who does it once in a while and then going out and spending 60m on Fernandez.

billyf

will he be an upgrade on Kola? If not, why bother? Better push some youngster from the academy, imo.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
A loan for 6 months would be fine but seems unlikely. I'd much rather get a promising 18 year old.

If he gets restless b cause he can't displace Tierney sell for profit and repeat

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Does selling Lukaku at a loss negate the fact that they have spent 200m more than us? Put that 200m into squad and see if we’re not title challengers. There is no magic formula to what United have done. Unlike Liverpool who actually built their team and improved their players United have just gone out and signed the best players. Nothing special about having an 90m player in Pogba who does it once in a while and then going out and spending 60m on Fernandez.
Fundamentally it's very important when talking about buying and selling players plus building squads.

At a very basic level Lukaku cost United 10m. Work out why that's important.

Atlas

Fundamentally it's very important when talking about buying and selling players plus building squads.

At a very basic level Lukaku cost United 10m. Work out why that's important.

If we could have afforded Zaha we wouldn’t have signed Pepe and be stuck with him. Still goes down to money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom