• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Bertrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keplaz

All these guys advocating this signing are the same ones talking smack about us signing Willian. He is almost exactly a year younger and will be 32 in the summer when he signs.

He also was a Chelsea player, although better known for his time at Southampton. I don't want Bertrand. Tired of these aging players in crucial positions for us.

Even as a backup to Tierney.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
All these guys advocating this signing are the same ones talking smack about us signing Willian. He is almost exactly a year younger and will be 32 in the summer when he signs.

He also was a Chelsea player, although better known for his time at Southampton. I don't want Bertrand. Tired of these aging players in crucial positions for us.

Even as a backup to Tierney.

Tierney is 23 years old and is likely to be our left back and probably our captain for the next 5+ years.

It wouldn't be wise to sign a younger left back at this stage. Bertrand or someone similar is perfect for a couple of years. Then you look towards signing maybe a 17/18 year old who can fill in when needed and learn from KT.

Keplaz

Tierney is 23 years old and is likely to be our left back and probably our captain for the next 5+ years.

It wouldn't be wise to sign a younger left back at this stage. Bertrand or someone similar is perfect for a couple of years. Then you look towards signing maybe a 17/18 year old who can fill in when needed and learn from KT.

Liechtensteiner was older granted but its the same profile. And even as a backup he was shocking. You want someone to compete with Tierney who one we can at least develop with a resale value.

He is also heavily reliant on pace. No one knows when the legs go. He loses a yard of pace and 50% of his game is lost, especially how we play the game.

Sign someone between 20 and 23. Develop them if he becomes as good as a Tierney then do an Emi and cash in. You also create competition and have a reliable backup when Tierney picks up a knock.

Tired of theses aging matadors looking for one last big payday.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Liechtensteiner was older granted but its the same profile. And even as a backup he was shocking. You want someone to compete with Tierney who one we can at least develop with a resale value.

He is also heavily reliant on pace. No one knows when the legs go. He loses a yard of pace and 50% of his game is lost, especially how we play the game.

Sign someone between 20 and 23. Develop them if he becomes as good as a Tierney then do an Emi and cash in. You also create competition and have a reliable backup when Tierney picks up a knock.

Not the best comparison considering Bertrand is a premier league left back still playing at a good level.

The thing is how are you going to develop another 20-23 year old left back when Tierney will be playing 90% of the games? Hopefully we get someone coming through the academy. I swear we had a left back under the name Lopez who was meant to be pretty good?

Keplaz

Not the best comparison considering Bertrand is a premier league left back still playing at a good level.

The thing is how are you going to develop another 20-23 year old left back when Tierney will be playing 90% of the games? Hopefully we get someone coming through the academy. I swear we had a left back under the name Lopez who was meant to be pretty good?
I think we do, he was nicked from Barcelona. A good player from what I've heard but people like Mutable would know more about him.

Bertrand is a quality player, don't get me wrong. But my worry is his age and, well, Willian. He was doing bits at Chelsea but doesn't look like he can even kick a ball anymore. And you just don't know when the decline will hit them.

Willian was proven PL as well. With real pedigree. Only reason I compare him to Leichensteiner is because both are full backs who rely on pace. And both are older players moving on a free.

But anyhow this is Arsenal. Que sera sera.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member

I disagree. Sign a younger left back who we can sell in a couple of years. If we sign a older player we'll just be letting him go for free after those same amount of years

Ciscoo

Bertrand was a serial loanee/sub until he was 25 and hasn’t really broken into the national team. I think that might prolong his career a little. He’d be an excellent signing IMO.

For comparison sake, Willian and Lichtsteiner had like 200+ more games worth of football by the time they arrived here. Whereas guys like Vardy and Wrighty had more similar careers and kept their athleticism until very late on.

Last edited:

Tom349

Get Bertrand and sign a 16/17 year old up and coming left back like Thierry Smalls who can spend a season in the u23's followed by a loan by which time Bertrand career will be coming to a close and hopefully the 16/17 left back Smalls in this case is ready to deputise.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Get Bertrand and sign a 16/17 year old up and coming left back like Thierry Smalls who can spend a season in the u23's followed by a loan by which time Bertrand career will be coming to a close and hopefully the 16/17 left back Smalls in this case is ready to deputise.
We have such a player in our academy already.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Sign someone between 20 and 23. Develop them if he becomes as good as a Tierney then do an Emi and cash in.

There's no developing when they ain't playing or getting one, two games here and there when Tierney is rested. Bertrand is a bit old, but there's players out there just like him but a few years younger, that'll absolutely do. Rightback is where a young talent is needed to create competition and potentially develop.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Forget this guy. Tyrick Mitchell is available on a free. 21, PL experience, plenty of room to improve. Let’s get him. The worst we’ll do is turn a tidy profit if he doesn’t amount to much.

But how is he going to improve and develop when he is playing 10 games a season, Tierney is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Melquiades

But how is he going to improve and develop when he is playing 10 games a season, Tierney is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Yeah, this is the problem.

If we were playing in the CL, it might be a different story. Between that and Cups and some league games, you could probably promise him 25 games as Tierney's backup and that might be enticing on a short-term deal.

But we don't have a guarantee of any Europe games right now, so backing up Tierney means basically no game action at all barring an injury. And the only way a move to a team at a similar spot in the PL table for less playing time would be enticing to Bertrand is if we give him some sort of stupid 4-year contract on a massive wage. And we've made that mistake enough already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom