• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

By the numbers in your chart Martinez is the better keeper. You don't like it, go argue with the math.
lol basically, it's a matrix - you want your keeper to be in the spot where Leno/Schmeichel/Martinez are.

You can only measure against the shots you face, the vertical range is the focus of this picture.

Ramsdale and Pickford are a cause for concern for example, whilst our Leno (or Martinez) isn't.

I know you didn't ask, I am just explaining why I said they neck and neck.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
lol basically, it's a matrix - you want your keeper to be in the spot where Leno/Schmeichel/Martinez are.

You can only measure against the shots you face, the vertical range is the focus of this picture.

Ramsdale and Pickford are a cause for concern for example, whilst our Leno (or Martinez) isn't.

I know you didn't ask, I am just explaining why I said they neck and neck.

Oh I know why you said they're neck on neck, and I know why you're wrong. :)

Was close second to Auba as our player of the season last year. Was considered by many as one of the best Goal keepers in the league. Since he signed apart from an initial settling period he has unarguably been one of our better players and arguably one of the better Keepers in the league, can't even count the amount of games he almost single handedly saved us.

After one mistake, during a month he was near perfect (deservedly nominated as player of the month) your patience is running out. I'm trying not to think what your patience is like with our other players.
His mistakes have cost us crucial games against Olympiacos and have brought us back to losing ways from the Wolves game. I don't have a problem with a keeper doing dumb **** once in a while as long as it doesn't cost the team at critical times.

There is no point pulling master saves when you can undo all that heroism with a silly kick of the ball straight to the opponent that results in a goal that messes the team up.

My point is if he messes up like that in a crucial game again, in a manner that is truly avoidable, I'd lose it.

TornadoTed

Established Member
His mistakes have cost us crucial games against Olympiacos and have brought us back to losing ways from the Wolves game. I don't have a problem with a keeper doing dumb **** once in a while as long as it doesn't cost the team at critical times.

There is no point pulling master saves when you can undo all that heroism with a silly kick of the ball straight to the opponent that results in a goal that messes the team up.

My point is if he messes up like that in a crucial game again, in a manner that is truly avoidable, I'd lose it.

This is a harsh assessment in my opinion. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes every now and again, look at Alisons two howlers in the same game against Man City last week and he is regarded as one of the best in the World. These things happen, you can't pick and choose if they happen in a fairly meaningless game or a crucial one. Leno has played 96 games for us, costing us a couple of games in close to 100 appearances is to be expected.

This is a harsh assessment in my opinion. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes every now and again, look at Alisons two howlers in the same game against Man City last week and he is regarded as one of the best in the World. These things happen, you can't pick and choose if they happen in a fairly meaningless game or a crucial one. Leno has played 96 games for us, costing us a couple of games in close to 100 appearances is to be expected.
I admit I might have gone a little overboard with the criticism. I just think that poor game management is a sh1t downside and is easily manageable. He's so good at most aspects of goalkeeping that I don't expect him to do dumb **** like that.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

What are you talking about? Did you even read the chart? Martinez is in the category facing over 35 shots on target. Leno is in 1-23 category. Those numbers carry weight.
Martinez has 3.5 expected shots per 90 compared to Leno's 90, and even with that Martinez performs better. How can you call that neck on neck?

Martinez is factually the better keeper (if your chart is correct).

I think you've misinterpreted the chart there but I have to admit the labelling on the graph is sh!t and unnecessarily confusing.

This is data for game week 1 - 23 and all of the keepers in the chart have faced 35 shots on target or more (which is the criteria for being on the chart).

Martinez has a slightly higher save % than expected. But Leno faces the more difficult shots (hence why his expected saves are lower).

Whoever is better depends on what matters more to you, and you could argue that if Martinez faced the same difficulty of shots as Leno then his save % would still be high but it's impossible to say for sure.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Leno made a howler against Wolves but we'd already lost the game by then.

Not entirely sure why the loss against Villa is being blamed on him.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I really like watching Martinez, apart from the fact that he's an Arsenal boy. So commanding in the box and he catches, old school, instead of punching. And his reach when saving shots is quite remarkable. Him and Auba are the main reasons Arteta won that FACup

Leno is decent keeper, no doubt, but why did we need to buy him with Martinez here. A mystery.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I really like watching Martinez, apart from the fact that he's an Arsenal boy. So commanding in the box and he catches, old school, instead of punching. And his reach when saving shots is quite remarkable. Him and Auba are the main reasons Arteta won that FACup

Leno is decent keeper, no doubt, but why did we need to buy him with Martinez here. A mystery.

Raul and the rest were trying to be heroes that summer, all the cliches associated with Arsenal he tried to rectify. "Arsenal need a keeper" = sign Leno, "Arsenal need a no nonsense CB" = sign Sokratis, "Arsenal need a destroyer DM" = sign Torreira, "Arsenal need an experienced winner" = sign Lichsteiner. It was if to say "look we're doing what Wenger failed to do" and the ones in fairness lapped it all up. Like the following summer too when Raul happily took all the adulation for a window where we left ourselves short and probably flushed money down the drain.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Raul and the rest were trying to be heroes that summer, all the cliches associated with Arsenal he tried to rectify.

"Arsenal need a keeper" = sign Leno,
72030-A96-F372-4-ED7-9-E9-E-3-C560-F9-D331-E.jpg
A1-B99794-6-F39-470-A-AB8-B-327-F9-CA2-D92-E.jpg
BA4-E87-E5-4049-4926-B2-B7-CAAB3-C94-A084.jpg
"Arsenal need a no nonsense CB" = sign Sokratis,
7594-EB7-C-D305-427-D-A60-E-6-E47-DD340-A6-E.jpg
"Arsenal need a destroyer DM" = sign Torreira,
DF02-BA1-C-AEDA-42-DB-883-B-8-ECE4-BA59-E6-F.jpg
99-C7-F69-C-D4-CB-4-E0-D-8-DD3-C5128-BE12939.jpg
7-DC77-DB3-76-B3-4-C40-A425-06-CB7267-E8-A1.jpg
69-F01-F33-B790-4-C07-9441-6-A4-D01-A5075-D.jpg
0-CDB9-C2-D-49-F3-49-E1-84-ED-8466-F65-C778-F.jpg
"Arsenal need an experienced winner" = sign Lichsteiner.
786031-D8-F75-C-4-C8-F-B91-F-FC2039775-BD6.jpg
801698-F7-959-F-4-A8-A-B324-64931-C2-F3-B60.jpg
EB631559-7939-4901-9096-46-CF2-DBCC840.jpg
It was if to say "look we're doing what Wenger failed to do" and the ones in fairness lapped it all up.
88-E0-E84-F-F5-F6-4-E31-85-ED-D3-CC844-A5-DC5.jpg
Like the following summer too when Raul happily took all the adulation for a window where we left ourselves short and probably flushed money down the drain.
D0-A571-D6-EA23-4-DAD-9-AC5-4-E66-A6-E27847.jpg
C208552-B-65-D0-43-F4-9847-E811-BBFD86-ED.jpg

@Tir Na Nog I'll DM you the address for that bucket. Just wings extra sauce.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Unless he falls off a cliff, Martinez is going to be keeper of the season. He’s so ahead, he can probably afford to have a considerable dip in form and still be in the team of the season.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Unless he falls off a cliff, Martinez is going to be keeper of the season. He’s so ahead, he can probably afford to have a considerable dip in form and still be in the team of the season.

If you go off the xG stats Pope and Sanchez are ahead but only Pope has played the same amount of games.

Hard to see them not giving it to an English keeper if they get the chance. How many years did Joe Hart keep getting in there ffs?

OSBK

Established Member
Why are peeps crying over emi? He chose to leave, arteta auth the sale. Its not like he was forced out, if he had stayed there is a good chance he would be number 1 keeper atm. But we will never know so we crack on, leno is a quality keeper and runnserson is shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom