• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool: Off You Pop, Klopp

• Thread starter KMC
  • Start date
  • Replies 6,080
  • Views 804,493

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

lol the guy didn't even want to disrespect Klopp and pretend he had the answers.

Great insight as always from Le Prof.
Say what you want about Wenger but he is intelligent, well spoken and a decent person it seems. Glad to see him in such great shape at his age. I also like his wry sense of humor. The way he smiles when something amusing happens.

zhaggy

Say what you want about Wenger but he is intelligent, well spoken and a decent person it seems. Glad to see him in such great shape at his age. I also like his wry sense of humor. The way he smiles when something amusing happens.

He's for sure an intelligent human being. Even though the VVD injury causing a ripple effect is there for anyone to see.
Somehow Wenger reminds me of Mr Bean in certain ways

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Jesus christ that's awful. I mean it was hard enough for Klopp to keep working with his mother's illness and passing, but this feels even more extreme somehow. Surely that's grounds for compassionate leave, how on earth could he keep playing after something like this?

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
There was a discussion about this on a podcast after Klopp's mother passed away, about how football is treated differently to other professions and personal issues and compassionate leave are kind of an anomaly in the game. Footballers are just expected to work whatever is going on in their lives.

I mean in no normal job would you be expected to go into work if your dad had just passed away in such tragic circumstances, so why should a footballer have to. A normal person would be given at least 2 weeks off, maybe a month, a footballer might get a couple of days.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Jesus christ that's awful. I mean it was hard enough for Klopp to keep working with his mother's illness and passing, but this feels even more extreme somehow. Surely that's grounds for compassionate leave, how on earth could he keep playing after something like this?

Oh my god. I am so sorry for him. So sorry. Can't imagine how he must feel. I said goodbye to both my parents, and was there by their side when they took their last breaths.

Liverpool have really been through the wringer this year.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
There was a discussion about this on a podcast after Klopp's mother passed away, about how football is treated differently to other professions and personal issues and compassionate leave are kind of an anomaly in the game. Footballers are just expected to work whatever is going on in their lives.

I mean in no normal job would you be expected to go into work if your dad had just passed away in such tragic circumstances, so why should a footballer have to. A normal person would be given at least 2 weeks off, maybe a month, a footballer might get a couple of days.

Always takes me back to when Foe passed away in 2003..all his friends and teammates in the France and Cameroon squads were clearly very upset, but were still made to play like 2 days later...football is crazy.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

Yeah a footballer should be afforded the time off if they need it like the rest of us. They're human beings too.

What I will say though, is that playing football and a regular job is seen differently by the people involved. Most of us do our job because we have to, we do get some joy out of it but mainly we do it because it provides us with an income. I would like to think most footballers don't view their profession in the same way. It is something that probably defines them as a person, it is who they are in a sense. For those reasons whenever someone close passes away, I have seen quite a few footballers actually insist on not taking much time off. Playing football then probably is what comforts them the most. More often then not the person who passed away was actually someone who encouraged them early on, or provided some other kind of support. They might want to continue playing as a tribute to that person.

I remember Frank Lampard's mother passing away. Chelsea were involved in a CL semi final days after her death. He insisted on playing and actually scored a goal. He celebrated by taking off the arm band and kissing it in tribute to his mum. The emotions were clear on his face, he was nearly in tears. All his team mate coming over not so much as to congratulate as usual for scoring a goal but to give their commiserations for his loss. It was beautiful to see. I never liked Chelsea but that really tugged at my heart. He said his mum was his biggest supporter and the pitch was the best place to honour her.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Yeah a footballer should be afforded the time off if they need it like the rest of us. They're human beings too.

What I will say though, is that playing football and a regular job is seen differently by the people involved. Most of us do our job because we have to, we do get some joy out of it but mainly we do it because it provides us with an income. I would like to think most footballers don't view their profession in the same way. It is something that probably defines them as a person, it is who they are in a sense. For those reasons whenever someone close passes away, I have seen quite a few footballers actually insist on not taking much time off. Playing football then probably is what comforts them the most. More often then not the person who passed away was actually someone who encouraged them early on, or provided some other kind of support. They might want to continue playing as a tribute to that person.

I remember Frank Lampard's mother passing away. Chelsea were involved in a CL semi final days after her death. He insisted on playing and actually scored a goal. He celebrated by taking off the arm band and kissing it in tribute to his mum. The emotions were clear on his face, he was nearly in tears.I never liked Chelsea but that really tugged at my heart. He said his mum was his biggest supporter and the pitch was the best place to honour her.

I get that for sure, I dunno, i feel like if I were him i'd wanna be on the first plane back to Brazil. I feel like the fact he's in a foreign country is a huge factor, when something like that happens, especially so unexpectedly, you just wanna go home, the last thing you wanna do is prepare for a match against West Ham.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I get that for sure, I dunno, i feel like if I were him i'd wanna be on the first plane back to Brazil. I feel like the fact he's in a foreign country is a huge factor, when something like that happens, especially so unexpectedly, you just wanna go home, the last thing you wanna do is prepare for a match against West Ham.

Sure. I think he probably would want to go home as soon as possible even if it is just to be with the rest of the family at this difficult time. I meant more after a short period he might want to get back to playing again. of course it depends on each person how they feel. I was just trying to highlight the difference with footballers and someone having a regular job.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Could be an interesting discussion. Sandro Wagner has come out years ago saying footballers are rightly earning what they do because of what they have to give up. His examples (partying as a youth, having to stay fit all the time, etc.) weren't the best examples - but does he have a point?

I guess they do give up a lot, but at the same time they earn **** tons as pros. One of my sisters played 2. Bundesliga (!) in Volleyball and had to haggle to get at least her driving costs subsidized by her club. During her teenage years and early 20s she had to juggle school, later university, a boyfriend and other private life, family, being a professional athlete for club and national youth selections. And all that without getting paid a cent. My other sister was playing at the same level but dropped out when she started uni, the other kept on playing until it got too much stress overall.
Now of course that may be down to the popularity and thus the money involved in certain sports, but is that a general amnesty for football's high wages?

If we look at other people earning a ton of money, and there's always the argument of responsibility and workload, I guess we get the same conclusion: The top manager of Mercedes Benz basically always works, but he also gets a ton of money for it.

So does a lot of money justify the loss of private life? But then what about sports/professions in which high wages aren't the case? Are those people simply condemned to society's pity without money making up for it? Can we even expect someone to give up part of their private life for money just because their profession earns a lot? Should we rethink how much certain people earn and how much they are supposed to give for that and in turn try and balance out financial issues in other professions/sports? Should we just not give a **** and live with the realities as they are and let everyone be to deal with it themselves?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I would like to think most footballers don't view their profession in the same way. It is something that probably defines them as a person, it is who they are in a sense.

In the last few years a lot of players have come out and said football is just what they happened to be good at and they view it as nothing but their profession - not their destiny or their passion, but just the thing they were good at and do good at, nothing more, nothing less.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
We are only 6 points from Liverpool and they don't even have a game in hand. There's an actual chance we could surpass them in the table.

WTF, HOW?

o_O

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Sky Sports asking if Liverpool getting top 4 would be as big an achievement as them winning the title considering injuries. :lol:

Wenger used to finish top 4 with half his team injured including being forced to play Bendtner because Van Persie was always injured, and used to get criticised for it.

Top Bottom