• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: Midfielder or in deNile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jae

I watched about 30 minutes of this game, AMN looked totally lost and the West Brom team didn't seem to have any plan. It was awful to watch, they wouldn't score even if the played extra 200 minutes.

Like I said mate, one of the worst teams I've seen in this league. Couldn't pass a ball 5 yards between them, nobody could get the ball under control and all they did for the full 90 was just a big hoof up front and hope someone gets on the end of it.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This West Brom team is horrendous and AMN has blended in rather than stood out so far.

Debateable. Against Sp**s he was decent, struggled v United but against Burnley he grew into the game and it was his press that kept winning balls for their 10 men. They should’ve won.

West Brom were in complete freefall but they’ve avoided defeat in their last two and finally have some energy in midfield.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Nice to see him driving through midfield and good passing in tight areas. Should have scored and his end product not what it could be but hopefully that will come.

He and Gallagher seem to be forming a good partnership in midfield. Not only down to AMN but West Brom definitely improved since he's joined, a lot more solid.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
I think when he comes back, Arteta or whoever is manager should sit him down and have a discussion. He has two choices here. He can either be a right back at Arsenal or he can be a bog standard midfielder at a Championship team or a lower level Premier League team because God knows he can't play midfield to any competent level.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think when he comes back, Arteta or whoever is manager should sit him down and have a discussion. He has two choices here. He can either be a right back at Arsenal or he can be a bog standard midfielder at a Championship team or a lower level Premier League team because God knows he can't play midfield to any competent level.
No discussion needs to be had. He's not a RB so let him leave.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Hopefully, AMN keeps on having good performances for West Brom. This is his longest extended run at CM and there are plenty of games left in the season.

I wouldn't call time on his career at Arsenal just yet. Going into next season, only Xhaka and Partey are the midfielders that I'm positive will still be here. We would need to buy Ceballos, and I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to sell Elneny. AMN and Willock will be coming back from successful loans, and I could see them becoming part of Arteta's plans.

If Arteta has learned anything from Pep, I believe he should be good at rotating players so that we can compete on all fronts. A midfield four of Partey, Xhaka, AMN, and Ceballos would be pretty good. At AM we'd have ESR and Ødegaard. Plus Willock could fill in at AM and CM.

I think that looks like a very competitive midfield that should only get better, and won't cost us too much. The big question will be the price Real places on Ceballos and Ødegaard.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Hopefully, AMN keeps on having good performances for West Brom. This is his longest extended run at CM and there are plenty of games left in the season.

I wouldn't call time on his career at Arsenal just yet. Going into next season, only Xhaka and Partey are the midfielders that I'm positive will still be here. We would need to buy Ceballos, and I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to sell Elneny. AMN and Willock will be coming back from successful loans, and I could see them becoming part of Arteta's plans.

If Arteta has learned anything from Pep, I believe he should be good at rotating players so that we can compete on all fronts. A midfield four of Partey, Xhaka, AMN, and Ceballos would be pretty good. At AM we'd have ESR and Ødegaard. Plus Willock could fill in at AM and CM.

I think that looks like a very competitive midfield that should only get better, and won't cost us too much. The big question will be the price Real places on Ceballos and Ødegaard.

:lol:

When did Pep invent the concept of squad rotation? I know what you mean, but City only rotate players because their bench costs over 300m or whatever it is and Pep needs to keep his pampered prima donnas happy. I don't remember him rotating much at Barcelona at all.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Zinchenko wasn't a leftback for the majority of his career, now look at him
Doesn't mean it will be the same for AMN. Clearly, it's not as AMN doesn't want to be a RB, and IMO rightly so because it's not his best position - as much as everyone seems to will it to be so.

We should just sign someone who actually is a RB or at least wants to be one. AMN as a RB is a complete dead end.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
:lol:

When did Pep invent the concept of squad rotation? I know what you mean, but City only rotate players because their bench costs over 300m or whatever it is and Pep needs to keep his pampered prima donnas happy. I don't remember him rotating much at Barcelona at all.
Who said that Pep invented squad rotation?

During Pep's time at Man City he's done a very good job at rotating players. He has a squad filled with players who should start every week, but you never hear any complaining from his squad. Everyone knows that they will get minutes.

In midfield, City have KDB, Gundogan, Bernardo Silva, Rodri, and Fernandinho; and it would be really hard to say who are his preferred midfield.

Arteta worked with Pep at Man City, so he would probably learn more about Pep's coaching during the time he was Pep's assistant coach. I doubt that Pep's time at Barca a decade ago would be as influential as being his assistant coach at Man City.

Some coaches are better at squad rotation than others. Pep seems to be pretty good at it.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Doesn't mean it will be the same for AMN. Clearly, it's not as AMN doesn't want to be a RB, and IMO rightly so because it's not his best position - as much as everyone seems to will it to be so.

We should just sign someone who actually is a RB or at least wants to be one. AMN as a RB is a complete dead end.
Players adapt. He's probably played more senior football for us at RB than anywhere else at this point lol. If it's a dead end it will be because he didn't want to put the hard work in for.

imo he should be pragmatic and take the only opportunity on offer. Nobody at City predicted Zinchenko would become the kind of FB he is. Injuries and Dani Alves not joining created opportunities for him. I had hoped this summer something similar would happen with Bellerin leaving and AMN profiting. Instead he wants to keep indulging MF fantasies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Players adapt. He's probably played more senior football for us at RB than anywhere else at this point lol. If it's a dead end it will be because he didn't want to put the hard work in for.

imo he should be pragmatic and take the only opportunity on offer. Nobody at City predicted Zinchenko would become the kind of FB he is. Injuries and Dani Alves not joining created opportunities for him. I had hoped this summer something similar would happen with Bellerin leaving and AMN profiting. Instead he wants to keep indulging MF fantasies.
Personally, I back AMN on this. I've never liked him at RB and he should leave Arsenal if we're not gonna play him in midfield. He's not even playing at RB, a position he doesn't even want. Leaving should be a no brainer IMO. I'm glad he backs himself in midfield and if he focuses better, he'll prove himself there. If he doesn't improve his application and focus in matches then it won't matter where he plays anyway.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Who said that Pep invented squad rotation?

During Pep's time at Man City he's done a very good job at rotating players. He has a squad filled with players who should start every week, but you never hear any complaining from his squad. Everyone knows that they will get minutes.

In midfield, City have KDB, Gundogan, Bernardo Silva, Rodri, and Fernandinho; and it would be really hard to say who are his preferred midfield.

Arteta worked with Pep at Man City, so he would probably learn more about Pep's coaching during the time he was Pep's assistant coach. I doubt that Pep's time at Barca a decade ago would be as influential as being his assistant coach at Man City.

Some coaches are better at squad rotation than others. Pep seems to be pretty good at it.
You can rotate between Fernandinho, rodri and gundegon. We have bloody el neny to rotate with. City has by far the best squad

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Was he any good today?
Was his best game for WBA so far IMO. Quiet in the first half but much more involved in the 2nd. His passing was very good. He's a much better player when he plays with some intensity - it's just that he hardly ever does. AMN has to find a balance between playing with composure and playing with some fire in his belly. Once he does that, his performances will become way more consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom