• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: From Thriller To Bad, Should He Just Beat It?

Our attacking play is just too rehearsed and easy to plan against. Add to that an inability to play through pressure and you render us worthless in attack.

Our attack has been quite good since the introduction of ESR. We are creating chances. Auba had at least 2 very good chances against Benfica. We scored a lot of goals in recent months.

Auba is just in very bad form this season. I fear the worst but glad to see that some fans still have hope for him.

Legend14

Established Member
I'm a huge Auba fan but god damn he's been poor this season, I mainly blame Arteta but when he's poor it looks so bad.
Arteta?? Wow. He was getting pushed around like a rag doll today. Arteta can’t make him physically stronger or more brave. Auba will determine his own performance.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Should have started Laca.

I don't get why Laca just stopped getting starts lol. Wasn't he in decent form. He is the best on the team at hold up play and does a good job linking with the attacking mid and the other forwards.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Never.

I’d take Vardy over Auba any day of the week.

Vardy always gives you 110% and gives opposing defenders no respite.

Not as simple as you make it unfortunately. Let me break it down.

Take into account the systems and expectations on both players. Aubameyang is expected to track right back into defensive positions where Vardy isnt. Arteta has rigid defensive focused patterns where Rodgers keeps Vardy in attacking positions, with attacking patterns, ready for him to spring into action.

Both have won the golden boot, but Aubameyang has been in the top three for every season he's been in the Premier League.

Unfortunately for all Vardy's 100% and not giving defenders a break, his record doesnt stand up to Auba.

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
His always been poor in tight games where they’ll be very few chances, not sure why fans and pundits are acting like somethings changed.

Was a dumb move to start him, having Lacazette as a link up option for others would’ve been better.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

His always been poor in tight games where they’ll be very few chances, not sure why fans and pundits are acting like somethings changed.

Was a dumb move to start him, having Lacazette as a link up option for others would’ve been better.
Never a dumb move to start Aubameyang if you have him.

Especially against a better team, whether he’s having a good game or not is irrelevant to his output.

KDB/Jesus didn’t get much joy on the other end that was just the nature of this match.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Not as simple as you make it unfortunately. Let me break it down.

Take into account the systems and expectations on both players. Aubameyang is expected to track right back into defensive positions where Vardy isnt. Arteta has rigid defensive focused patterns where Rodgers keeps Vardy in attacking positions, with attacking patterns, ready for him to spring into action.

Both have won the golden boot, but Aubameyang has been in the top three for every season he's been in the Premier League.

Unfortunately for all Vardy's 100% and not giving defenders a break, his record doesnt stand up to Auba.
For all the statistics, patterns and whatever, Vardy can do basic things in football that Auba simply can't, and that never ends up on stats. That's the only reason why Auba can never go in the same sentence with other top forwards.
I can't even blame him, I understand what he is, but when you accumulate that incompetence on the ball over several positions as we do, it looks really bad on a team level.
We could tolerate it for Auba because he gives us all important goals, but if he plays, you can't have wankers like Elneny, Xhaka and Bellerin around anymore, that's too much for the team to absorb. If these guys have to play, Arteta should consider Laca instead.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

For all the statistics, patterns and whatever, Vardy can do basic things in football that Auba simply can't, and that never ends up on stats. That's the only reason why Auba can never go in the same sentence with other top forwards.
I can't even blame him, I understand what he is, but when you accumulate that incompetence on the ball over several positions as we do, it looks really bad on a team level.
We could tolerate it for Auba because he gives us all important goals, but if he plays, you can't have wankers like Elneny, Xhaka and Bellerin around anymore, that's too much for the team to absorb. If these guys have to play, Arteta should consider Laca instead.

If we had Vardy right now I guarantee people would be complaining like they are about Auba.

As @Macho says Vardy is non-existent in games apart from a half chance or two which he buries. Difference is that their whole system is geared towards getting him those one or two chances in behind the opposition’s back line.

I don’t know what the f*ck ours is doing when Auba is helping Tierney defend like yesterday.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If we had Vardy right now I guarantee people would be complaining like they are about Auba.

As @Macho says Vardy is non-existent in games apart from a half chance or two which he buries. Difference is that their whole system is geared towards getting him those one or two chances in behind the opposition’s back line.

I don’t know what the f*ck ours is doing when Auba is helping Tierney defend like yesterday.
My personal preference is Vardy/Ings, but you are right, don't think there would be much difference if Vardy was playing yesterday for us.
I'm always saying one thing when to play Auba, it's when you overload the team with technical players and he is then just at the end of things.
Arteta overloads the team with grunt workers like Xhaka/Elneny, and some players who are incompetent on the ball (Bellerin, CB's) and then asks Auba to contribute to the build-up.
We have the technical talent within the team, but they all need to play together. You can't have technical players like MO and Pepe, and then play Bellerin and Elneny next to them, there's no fluency with that approach

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

My personal preference is Vardy/Ings, but you are right, don't think there would be much difference if Vardy was playing yesterday for us.
I'm always saying one thing when to play Auba, it's when you overload the team with technical players and he is then just at the end of things.
Arteta overloads the team with grunt workers like Xhaka/Elneny, and some players who are incompetent on the ball (Bellerin, CB's) and then asks Auba to contribute to the build-up.
We have the technical talent within the team, but they all need to play together. You can't have technical players like MO and Pepe, and then play Bellerin and Elneny next to them, there's no fluency with that approach
The thing with Vardy I remember when Claude Puel came in and tried to play him left wing. Vardy quickly got him out of there and luckily for Arteta, Aubameyang has bought into it.

Auba actually has more about him away from the box than Vardy, especially defensive contributions . I'd narrowly give Vardy the edge in finishing he only needs one chance where as Auba outside of his freak run last season needs a couple - which he got under Wenger and Emery.

My long winded point is Auba and Vardy are virtually the same player and finding the differences between them is literally splitting hairs.

Before Liverpool Vardy hadn't scored in 5 games before he had groin surgey - he had minimal touches each game too. I'm sure if he did that here we would be talking sh*t?

Auba isn't where our problems lie. Our problem is Arteta literally requires a hybrid of Aubameyang and Lacazette for his tactics to work - such a player doesn't exist so that means his tactics are poor.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
How do you counter against a dominant City when Laca up top with his stroller?

The tactical plan to put Auba up top makes sense to me.
Laca could have held the ball up better. At the very least he should have brought h on at half time. It painfully obvious in the first 20 minutes that Auba was not working.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
How do you counter against a dominant City when Laca up top with his stroller?

The tactical plan to put Auba up top makes sense to me.
Just because you have a guy who can run fast doesn't mean you will be able to execute counters.
Need to win the ball first which is hard with Xhaka and Elneny, need players who can release it fast and with precision which is also a struggle here.
The last option is to have a quick transition with 4-5 players when we do manage to win the ball, but once we won it, the ball would always go backwards first.
I didn't see counter attacking potential, but I'm open to hearing your thoughts if I'm getting something wrong

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Everyone is really nit picking here. Auba is all about the final 3rd and the counter attack. He can create chances for himself if he gets to have a run at defenders. but other than that he's all about being in the right place at the right time.

Unfortuntely against City we weren't good enough on the counter, partly due to our midfield El Sideways and Xhaka were't fast enough in the transitions and City could always get back in to position. Shows how much we missed Partey.

We're miles off City as are the rest of the league at the moment. Only team I can being close to them are PSG.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Just because you have a guy who can run fast doesn't mean you will be able to execute counters.
Need to win the ball first which is hard with Xhaka and Elneny, need players who can release it fast and with precision which is also a struggle here.
The last option is to have a quick transition with 4-5 players when we do manage to win the ball, but once we won it, the ball would always go backwards first.
I didn't see counter attacking potential, but I'm open to hearing your thoughts if I'm getting something wrong
No you're right. You need midfielders who can quickly transition towards an (counter) attack, which won't happen with Elneny and Xhaka because a forward pass is only their third or fourth thought.

Xhaka is having a good season by his standards, but he has still annoyed me countless times this season with backward turns/passes when he had a lot of space ahead of him to drive into or give a forward pass.

That's why I was so psyched with the addition of Partey because he can drive/dribble forward and has amazing passing range and even more importantly can dribble/feint out of pressure to create space for a forward pass. Once you beat a press there is space to counter.

We lack that in our squad otherwise. I think Willock potentially has it as an 8 but he was always used too far up the pitch by both Emery and Arteta, who strangely (in my mind) persisted with him as a 10. Guendouzi has that progressive passing, but his defensive deficiencies were (are?) massive, let alone all those times he went down to the ground lightly to get away with being caught on the ball.

For this reason an argument could've been made to play Ødegaard deeper this game and have ESR start. It would of course have led to slightly less defensive solidity, but a lot more counter threat.

Jakarta

:lol: you don’t watch Vardy at all

He averages less than 20 touches per game and only springs into life when a chance is on. Google it, or atleast watch Leicester.

lool i ain’t gonna front, i only watch Leicester when they play against the big six.

But to me Vardy is a big game player, and he has that aggression and drive which makes him much more dangerous than Auba.

I’m just peeved that such a limited player as Auba has taken us to the cleaners with his 350k wages. If it wasn’t for covid I would’ve sold him last summer and brought in a target man type striker.

Top Bottom