• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
When exactly do we become midtable if not yet?
Why are people on here so excited to call us mid table? When United were faltering I knew they would eventually come back. I guess they havent properly returned yet + they are bigger than us but we can do the same barring a disaster. And yes I know they didnt finish so low but them finishing outside the top 4 is crazy for their stature, being one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

We have one of the best young sets of players in Europe imo. Tierney, Gabriel, Saliba, ESR, Saka, Martinelli as starters. The only reason we don't propel ourselves to the top 4 or even maybe more in a few years time would be down to horrendous running of the club, which is actually quite likely to be fair...

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Why are people on here so excited to call us mid table? When United were faltering I knew they would eventually come back. I guess they havent properly returned yet + they are bigger than us but we can do the same barring a disaster.

We have one of the best young sets of players in Europe imo. Tierney, Gabriel, Saliba, ESR, Saka, Martinelli as starters. The only reason we don't propel ourselves to the top 4 or even maybe more in a few years time would be down to horrendous running of the club, which is actually quite likely to be fair...

I don't have the knack of lying to myself. Wish I did, my life would much easier, I suspect. I call things as I see them. Mental and verbal filters may make the situation more tolerable, but it does not make it any better.

Midtable is what I see, midtable is what I call it. If and when we finish in the top 6 again, or top 4 or win the league, I'll call it as it is then as well.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Speculation at best. If players are afraid, no manager will make them brave. If they are mentally inconsistent you can’t blame the manager for their character; he didn’t raise them. I played enough sports and at a high enough level to know that a manager can’t play for anyone.

Do you think Arteta taught ESR his composure, technique, vision and drive? Maybe he taught Saka how to take on players with subtle movements. It’s just plain nonsense. Fans don’t pay to watch managers, they are just there to be scapegoats, especially in football.

Players can ruin the best plans of a manager or hide his shortcomings. A manager is not going to change the character of a player, ever.
I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that this group of players isn't better than 10th possibly 11th in the table but obviously not everyone will agree on that.

6666Louis

We have to judge Arteta on the basis of what was given.

When he arrived, our team was in shambles. We had no culture. No structure. No spine. We had a dysfunctional group of below par, overpaid senior players.

He made a mistake of forcing his sophisticated style on players who couldn't deliver.

He has, since then, simplified it. And is building on it.

I think he has cleaned up. We have structure and spine. And Hope.

Our build up is getting much better. We are dominating most games.

You can see that he is a perfectionist. All our players know what they need to do in every given situation.

We are unlucky not to be playing for CL.

We need to give him another season to build on what he is doing. He is a young coach clearly better than Unai Emery.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Why are people on here so excited to call us mid table? When United were faltering I knew they would eventually come back. I guess they havent properly returned yet + they are bigger than us but we can do the same barring a disaster. And yes I know they didnt finish so low but them finishing outside the top 4 is crazy for their stature, being one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

Man U could always spend their way out of problems it's different. Last season when their season got peak they bought in Fernandes. I like Ødegaard but that's a 6 month loan and he needs development which isn't even Arteta's strong suit, they are almost playing a different game to us.

We're sitting here in 10th saying Arteta needs his players and yet we are a club that doesn't spend like Man U does. As long as Arteta is here, this is us I'm afraid.

Iceman10

Established Member
The city defeats has been the most submissive **** i've ever seen from professionals. They went into the game accepting defeat and playing it safe in the 88 minutes whilst trailing. And stop with the nonsense that Arteta is better than experienced coaches like Emery or Wenger in terms of tactics when we have lost 11 games whilst getting smashed at home by the likes of ****ing Aston Villa. Arteta stans please seek and imam, priest or whoever that will end the spell arteta and the media has on you.

The manner of the defeat to City was terrible, but there was expectation of a loss going into that game anyway. I personally don’t want to get too drawn on that match. I have much more to question regarding team selection, approach, and in-match management for the Benfica first leg. Everything with that set us up badly particularly for the upcoming PL match against Leicester because we failed us put that tie to bed while going all out with first choice players. Losses such as the one at Villa also have to be considered a bit more.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I don't have the knack of lying to myself. Wish I did, my life would much easier, I suspect. I call things as I see them. Mental and verbal filters may make the situation more tolerable, but it does not make it any better.

Midtable is what I see, midtable is what I call it. If and when we finish in the top 6 again, or top 4 or win the league, I'll call it as it is then as well.
But football doesn't work like that, sorry. Looking at the table doesnt tell the entire picture for our medium to long term, even maybe our short term.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You can’t really compare us to Utd because I don’t think we operate in their financial reality. Doubt we can finish 8th or whatever like they did and drop 130M on two defenders.

I see us more like Hicks & Gillette era Liverpool who were ran like a joke and had some really dodgy managers. They were definitely midtable for a little bit there.

We have a young squad but we’re burning through the primes of key players like Partey, Auba and Leno right now and in a couple of years we could be faced with a similar problem that Liverpool were when the likes of Sterling wanted out to a better team like City.

Saka’s agent has shown himself to be ruthless with other clients so he’s one I’ve got my eye on considering he’s only contracted until 2024.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
But football doesn't work like that, sorry. Looking at the table doesnt tell the entire picture for our medium to long term, even maybe our short term.

Take last season along with our current position and the expected place on the table in May and you'll have midtable.

Next season is in the future, and I don't deal in tea leaves.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
We finished 8th last season. We spent a 3rd of the season below mid and are currently 10th, having lost more games than we have won, and with no signs of making it into top 6. When exactly do we become midtable if not yet?
Not after one and a third seasons.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
City are probably the best team in the world. And it’s a bit weird to exclude the FA cup victory if you’re including league cup games / earlier league games. Not helping your credibility.

Are you really going to pretend results / performances against the big clubs haven’t improved under Arteta?
That’s fair, so he’s lost 80% of his games against City then. No spitting feathers at that these days. People even saying how good City is so not surprising.

Expectations have clearly had a seismic shift.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Not after one and a third seasons.

One and 2 thirds, I think you mean.

How many season will it take? 2? 3? 100?

Does it really matter what we the fans think, or is it how other view us? How long do you think iut takes them to think of us as midtable?

How long did it take for them to think of Sp**s as a top 4 club?

We've already been called midtable in the media. Our position is midtable. Reality is a ***** but it is what it is.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Man U could always spend their way out of problems it's different. Last season when their season got peak they bought in Fernandes. I like Ødegaard but that's a 6 month loan and he needs development which isn't even Arteta's strong suit, they are almost playing a different game to us.

We're sitting here in 10th saying Arteta needs his players and yet we are a club that doesn't spend like Man U does. As long as Arteta is here, this is us I'm afraid.
I mean we did bring in Partey last summer. If he had played every single game like he should have (and historically has) then where would we be in the table? Where would we be in the table if we actually solved our glaring issue in the summer: creativity. Even as we signed Partey I said we have no chance of top 4 barring Arteta getting more than the sum of our parts. He has done quite the opposite I know :lol: but there are considerations that need to take place. He booted Guendouzi out the club, he did so with Özil. He did so with Özil's group. This isn't ever gonna go down well, the squad is gonna be disrupted.

No one is saying we should spend like United, but I think we are underrating our financial ability. We have crippled ourselves with our wage bill, if we fix this (which I am not convinced we will tbf, if we are signing people like Willian) then we will free up much more funds. And tbh I haven't really seen many people here act like Arteta needs to spend 300m. Their point is we had a horrendously balanced squad going into the season. We even saw Emery struggle from this after we lost Mkhy Ramsey and Iwobi. No ball carriers, no chance creators, less goals from different areas. This is why I am giving Arteta another summer window (I may be Arteta out to an extent even before a ball is kicked, if he doesnt re-integrate Saliba and want promising younger players between 22-26 kinda age range), people can say all they want but they are definitely judging him before he actually has a functioning team. Those are just facts imo.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Depends on how you define it.

You can finish midtable for a season or two and not 'really' be a midtable club. Not everything's dependant on where you finished last season.

I think of us more as a big club in a transition period really.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Take last season along with our current position and the expected place on the table in May and you'll have midtable.

Next season is in the future, and I don't deal in tea leaves.
Looking at factors outside just looking at the Premier League table isn't reading tea leaves or- whats done in my kind of culture -reading the bottom of Armenian/Turkish coffee after it has been drank :lol:

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Well done, you've cherry picked the results against the top club in the country in recent times. They're expected to beat us. I'm pretty sure 2 of those defeats were 1-0's, not exactly humiliation's.

Not surprising they tend to beat us to be honest, nice to see you omit the FA Cup semi final win against them but add the Mickey Mouse Cup to 'prove your point' and don't even bother mentioning the wins against Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd etc.

This is what I'm talking about in terms of agenda merchanting. I made a pretty obvious statement and people try to twist it and frame it in a certain light to make Arteta look worse.

We'll certainly hear no mention of Arsène's record away to the top 4 from you I'm sure, and if we do those defeats will be because the moon wasn't in the waning gibbous phase and affected the tea ladies menstrual cycle, so Wengers herbal tea was at a suboptimal temperature and that affected his substitution decisions, or other such nonsense :lol:
I’d work out Arsène and Emery’s home and away results against City to see if it was better than an 80% loss, but I can’t be arsed. But I’m pretty sure without looking that both did better, even though you’re saying Arteta is the better tactician without any data. :rolleyes:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
You can’t really compare us to Utd because I don’t think we operate in their financial reality. Doubt we can finish 8th or whatever like they did and drop 130M on two defenders.

I see us more like Hicks & Gillette era Liverpool who were ran like a joke and had some really dodgy managers. They were definitely midtable for a little bit there.

We have a young squad but we’re burning through the primes of key players like Partey, Auba and Laseno right now and in a couple of years we could be faced with a similar problem that Liverpool were when the likes of Sterling wanted out to a better team like City.

Saka’s agent has shown himself to be ruthless with other clients so he’s one I’ve got my eye on considering he’s only contracted until 2024.
Yeah its depressing stuff. Most of what I said hinges on us being run correctly, but there is a very strong chance that we won't be under Edu. Who brings a young DoF to run your club? Like this is career mode and he has 92 potential or some ****.

If we were to bring a Campos or Rangnick at some stage to help/replace him, then I would be very optimistic about the medium/long term project.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Looking at factors outside just looking at the Premier League table isn't reading tea leaves or- whats done in my kind of culture -reading the bottom of Armenian/Turkish coffee after it has been drank :lol:

We have that too. And reading runes in seashells and pebbles :lol: (gosh that just brought back a flood of memories...)

I can't/won't predict where we will be next season, but if I were to use a trend analysis to attempt a prediction, I suspect that based on our last 10 or 12 years, the outcome would be that next season will be worse than this one unless some drastic changes are made. Let's hope not, aye.

Last edited:
Top Bottom