• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Bringing on Chambers with 5 minutes left to shore up a result.

i

There was always one thing that annoyed me with the subs from Wenger in his late years. When chasing a goal he would always end up with like 4 strikers on the field and not a single creative player.

I've always been of the opinion that you have to have a balance of goal scorer and creator, even when chasing the goal. Putting Saka in RB position to occupy that area of the field was much more likely to get him in a position to create a goal opportunity than if Bellerin would have been there.

Also, Willian got assists. I think today we can't really complain about the subs.

Where did Saka cross the ball from again? The right back position or was it from the final third of the pitch where he was causing havoc this whole game and the whole season?

We play an attacking game. Or at least I like to believe we are trying to! Our full-backs often find themselves in good positions in the final third. One could even argue from a full-back position he had more time than if his starting position was in front of a full-back.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yeah the sub was fine. Essentially we tried to stretch the pitch by having Willian and Saka wide while having Auba-Laca central and Ødegaard behind. With Xhaka-Partey supplying them and Tierney also continuing to support Willian on the left. It was a calculated roll of the dice by getting an extra striker on, Saka essentially was playing the same position as he had been all game it's just that Bellerin wasn't there so he had extra defensive work. But in terms of creating the opportunity to get the goal it worked how we intended, we went from left to right, found Saka one v one and he was able to find Auba at the far post while Laca was also in the box for that extra striker for the defence to deal with.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
He dramatically needs to improve his man management now.
This is one of the most difficults season to manage due to Covid and many players can't get a rest under him.

Cedric should get a match ahead of Bellerin - Xhaka, Saka and Smith Rowe need a rest too.

I don't think the defense was a huge problem against Benfica - a penalty, a wonderful free kick and an individual error. Can happen. Offensively we are relying on the brilliance from Saka.

Smith Rowe and Saka looked like a good combo and Arteta destroyed it by playing him as a Left Winger.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Also, Willian got assists. I think today we can't really complain about the subs.
He's been crap for the last 15 times as a sub but today we can't complain? It was only luck that he made a simple pass to Tierney and the guy scored a great goal doing everything himself.
The subs were absolutely the worst thing that happened today and we were lucky to score from the 2 chances we've created.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

There was always one thing that annoyed me with the subs from Wenger in his late years. When chasing a goal he would always end up with like 4 strikers on the field and not a single creative player.

I've always been of the opinion that you have to have a balance of goal scorer and creator, even when chasing the goal. Putting Saka in RB position to occupy that area of the field was much more likely to get him in a position to create a goal opportunity than if Bellerin would have been there.

I remember one time we had Park and Chamakh on against Milan, swear down we didn't create a chance after they came on. :lol:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Absolutely, very nice point. Wenger's late game tactics in need of a goal were often really exasperating (especially in latter era)...hoofball, desperate stuff.

Remember watching City score that really nice worked goal on a Sterling cut in and curler in their first title winning season with Pep, against Southampton, on literally their last possession in the 94th or 95th min, where they took the exact same patient, calm approach they would in any other attacking possession in the game, and just drooling with envy. It takes a special coach and a special group of players to get that to happen, but hopefully we are working toward that. Certainly our football was quite good from the moment we went down, aside from that 7-8 phase where Benfica was kicking it around and really seemed to be taking the air out of the game (this is where we probably need more lungs in midfield and attack to press more effectively--having Xhaka, a tired Saka and Ødegaard, old Willian, slow Laca, etc. really notes in these moments :/ )

He's been crap for the last 15 times as a sub but today we can't complain? It was only luck that he made a simple pass to Tierney and the guy scored a great goal doing everything himself.
The subs were absolutely the worst thing that happened today and we were lucky to score from the 2 chances we've created.

Well okay yeah. If you want to complain about Willian you can do it. Be my guest. Not gonna stand in your way!

Iceman10

Established Member
I’ve seen and participated in tournaments (other sports) where one player/team that makes it through to a final looks great in earlier rounds but gets beaten by another player/team that looked scrappy and unconvincing in earlier rounds. Getting through to the next round is something to be happy with, and we still have as good a chance as any in a knockout format. It is still win the trophy or bust for me though, I consider chances for Top 6 as slim right now.

Regardless, scrappy or good win, I won’t bash Arteta after a win. We are low on confidence and lack swagger. Can only hope we have another good run of matches shortly, but my main criticism remains the same, in terms of utilisation of more of the squad instead of over-reliance on 4-5 players.

Finesse

@Iceman10 I understand your point on over reliance on players. Every manager wants to manage his team better and keep them fresh. However a team like ours without some key players out is not able to win games I am afraid. We have to be very honest we don’t have the best players like City rotating an entire defence midweek.

I see your point on not burning out key players. However what is our chances going into some very key games like today without them?

Against Leicester we can rest MO and Saka and bring fresher legs in Pepe and Martinelli. However you must accept we would lose a lot in terms of firepower. If you do then you should accept we may not return with a result too. The manager is under pressure and has no reserve in the bank to falter. Even you will not cut him slack. Speed up Sunday and he will rotate. I will be here to check on the comments after the game.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom