• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Kav

Established Member
You're absolutely right. When people were having a go at Wenger for not winning a trophy in nine years (despite coming very close several times) they didn't seem to realise that, historically, not winning trophies was the norm for Arsenal.

Arsenal have had like 4 golden era in their history: Chapman/Allinson, Mee, Graham and Wenger. That's all. The last three were all missed opportunities to cement us as the biggest club in England.

Sorry, I forgot Tom Whitaker who should probably be level with Mee more or less.
Too many new fans who had not experienced the doldrums of mediocrity that was Arsenal. Myself included. I started supporting Arsenal when Ricoh was in charge and Wenger came in and brought us success almost immediately. We became such a big club that everyone in football knew about the club and even if we weren’t always winning we were competitive. People took it for granted and assumed that any other manager would have done better

When I look at our statistical records it shows me that we’re a club that get some success every decade but not consistently dominating the game like say Forrest did in the 70’s or Liverpool did in the 70-80’s or Man U did in the 90’s. We have had sporadic success and so we should really reevaluate these expectations about titles.

Mind you what Arsenal did under Wenger was play such good football at times that we were always cognizant of the fact that we could beat any team on our day. During the latter years of the Wenger era that confidence was eroded and to be honest its a malaise that stretched back to our stadium move.

The lack of investment into the team and continual sales of our best players because of financial or competitive reasons had left a lot of fans disillusioned about the future of the club. Anxiety set in and some of the fans vented because they saw other money clubs winning and we were just there. Truth be told. I’m sure if we had the finances Man U or Chelsea or Man City had during the 2005-2012 period we would have won more.

GDeep™

League is very weak
If Abramovich had bought Arsenal we'd be the biggest team in England.
The best? Utd will always be the biggest until you surpass some of the records they’ve set like league wins, multiple European cups, 3 title wins in a row etc.

No doubt though we’d be a super club if Roman was here, on par or just below Real, Barca, Bayern etc.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The best? Utd will always be the biggest until you surpass some of the records they’ve set like league wins, multiple European cups, 3 title wins in a row etc.

No doubt though we’d be a super club if Roman was here, on par or just below Real, Barca, Bayern etc.
In terms of trophies Liverpool's European victories dwarf Utd's.

But yes, with big finance we would have won multiple European cups, be ahead of league wins (we're ahead in Cup wins) and would have stronger support amongst the young fanbase than they do. We would have had 15 years of bossing them and the other English clubs.

LG10

Didn’t see a coaching problem yesterday. I saw a mentality problem, our players were scared ****less because of olympiacos. Arteta didn’t tell ceballos to be a blind dribbling **** either.

The comeback will be mentally huge for the team and olympiacos is the best draw possible, gives us a chance to officially bury the demons of last year.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He really wasnt forced to? Who in the mainstream media even knew of ESR? wtf are you talking about? only arsenal fans were talking about that and even they werent sure.

He didnt have to play ESR as even with the injuries he could have just went with a different formation like 5-4-1 meaning no room for an AM

He was neither forced to nor would he have done it if it wasn't for injuries and Willian being forced to self isolate.

I feel that ESR is a little further along though tactically because of the experience he had of regular football at Huddersfield and that's why Arteta trusts him a little more.

That and he doesn't have much defensive responsibility, which is certainly his biggest weakness.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Didn’t see a coaching problem yesterday. I saw a mentality problem, our players were scared ****less because of olympiacos. Arteta didn’t tell ceballos to be a blind dribbling **** either.

The comeback will be mentally huge for the team and olympiacos is the best draw possible, gives us a chance to officially bury the demons of last year.

How many of those who were on the pitch last night had played olympiacos?

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan

The coaching problem was that we couldn't create enough chances to score. Just 7 shots in the 1st leg, 10 in this one (3 in the 1st half) even though we were minutes away from getting knocked out.

REWB

The coaching problem was that we couldn't create enough chances to score. Just 7 shots in the 1st leg, 10 in this one (3 in the 1st half) even though we were minutes away from getting knocked out.

Benfica are not the type to concede lots of chance, they have a reasonably solid defense and play quite defensive tactics overall. I remember watching them against Sporting (best team in Portugal right now) away and Sporting only had 9 shot on goal. They are a good team. How many shots/chances are you expecting us to create with the current quality we have in the team?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I've gone for a 6 on the faith in Arteta poll.

I still believe he can do the job and turn the club around but my faith has been eroded somewhat this season.

Preseason it would probably have been sitting at a 9.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Not really a stupid comment given that the context is people blaming a manager for "Not performing well" in a europa league match which he won. We have an arguably better manager (Rogers, Definitely better in terms of league performance) struggling against weaker opposition and losing the tie on the same matchday.
The whole reaction to Benfica game here sounds like we just needed to turn up and roll them over. It doesn`t work like that in Europe against teams like Benfica.

look this is a football forum. Try to not assume that people here dont understand football and cant get context. We were playing for our lives and leceister was playing for tea. Brendan is a ****head but they have better things to play for these days.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
We don't know that though.

You developed a hypothesis as to why Wenger started to fail in his last couple of years.

Planes, banners, social media etc and are stating it as a fact because it fits the narrative that you desire to be true. That Wenger hadn't declined as a manger, so the decline had to be due to outside influences.

You're stuck in a loop where you biases won't allow you to even consider alternative and more realistic reasons for Wenger's decline.

You're going to keep presenting the planes, banner, social media line as factual irrespective and there's nothing that could possibly change your mind of that front :lol:
wenger failed to dramatically overperform for the last two years according to the bum squad.
In the first of those he won an FA cup and narrowly missed 4th place. In the second he resigned midway, got knocked out in a tight semifinal against Atletico Madrid and finished 6 th in the league.

The hate and abuse and whiny brexity incel moaning was tremendous. There were fights among supporters in the stands and on social media. Kroenke was happy as his tightening death grip on the club went unremarked by a divided fanbase, incessantly provoked by a vocal vicioius minority of fans.

LG10

Because our players were scared, the technical quality of our performance was awful. As soon as we were behind instincts kicked in and we were much better.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I have to also give you a credit for writing many sentences that missed the point, with a few helpings of rubbish based on your own limited knowledge of situations, like Saliba etc..

And when is giving a bit of acknowledgment ‘wanking’ over a manager? For you to respond with rhetoric like that means it must hurt you to see acknowledgment. That’s a bad place to be.
This began with you going on a factually inaccurate and nonsensical diatribe based solely on your hatred of Arsène Wenger. You could have just kept about your day. Instead you chose to respond to my post with false dreck and are now trying to reassemble the pieces of your ass I've handed to you. That's a bad place to be.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
wenger failed to dramatically overperform for the last two years according to the bum squad.
In the first of those he won an FA cup and narrowly missed 4th place. In the second he resigned midway, got knocked out in a tight semifinal against Atletico Madrid and finished 6 th in the league.

The hate and abuse and whiny brexity incel moaning was tremendous. There were fights among supporters in the stands and on social media. Kroenke was happy as his tightening death grip on the club went unremarked by a divided fanbase, incessantly provoked by a vocal vicioius minority of fans.

Brexit or Incels had nothing to do with fans turning on Wenger :lol:

I've no idea why you keep trying to force that link. It's ridiculous :lol:

Iceman10

Established Member
I only bring up Arsène Wenger in here to talk about the fan component, sometimes also bad executive hires by the Kroenke’s, and actually to point out that’s why I’ve been more on the conservative side at times with affording some patience to Emery and Arteta. Other than that though Arteta really does not belong in the same conversation as Arsène Wenger in terms of managerial ability because Arteta has just started out whereas Arsène Wenger had long been a manager even before being at Arsenal, particularly at Monaco, and furthermore are we supposed to forget the PL wins and Invincibles under Wenger? I don’t think so.

Arteta can be compared, pros/cons, with Lampard and Solksjaer, but we’re not going to compare him with experienced managers such as Ancelotti, or Wenger. Even he I think would admit he doesn’t deserve that yet. On bringing up youth, esp. Hale End, observations can be made but good and bad in such a short space of tine cannot be used for hard conclusions. Needs more track record over time.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Because our players were scared, the technical quality of our performance was awful. As soon as we were behind instincts kicked in and we were much better.
Scared after going behind but what were they scared off in the 1st leg? And not like this is a new thing either. This has been a common theme under Arteta ever since he joined here. If you don't create chances you'll always put your backline under pressure, cause you're expecting a near faultless performance from them. If you go a goal down the defenders know we're unlikely to recover. No wonder we score so little in the 2nd half of games and even fewer after 75 minutes.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
This began with you going on a factually inaccurate and nonsensical diatribe based solely on your hatred of Arsène Wenger. You could have just kept about your day. Instead you chose to respond to my post with false dreck and are now trying to reassemble the pieces of your ass I've handed to you. That's a bad place to be.
I not going to validate your unadulterated and unsubstantiated horse **** accusations and creative bollocks with a proper answer. No need to. Anyone who can follow a few posts can see your pathetic and bumbling overreaction. Get some fresh air.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom